Lockerbie Remembered

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lockerbie Remembered

Postby Doorstop » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:46 am

I reckon the strings attaching MacAskill to decisions at Westminster on the Magrahi issue are a lot sturdier than he would have the public believe.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:26 am

Doorstop wrote:I reckon the strings attaching MacAskill to decisions at Westminster on the Magrahi issue are a lot sturdier than he would have the public believe.

I'm sure that's a given and no doubt part of the reason he initially sent Christine Graham, whose connection is at best tenuous, to interrogate Megrahi whilst in the pokey.

As Paul McBride QC pointed out yesterday ""This is a man (Megrahi], who is represented by two senior counsel and three junior counsel and a solicitor who have been working on his case for five, six, seven years," Mr McBride said.

"He has been subjected to the best medical treatment that money can buy and he has had full support from Libya.

"Tell me what Mr Megrahi can tell Mr MacAskill that these professionals can't?

"People seem to forget that he has been found guilty of the worst crime ever committed on Scottish soil in our history, and here he is being fêted by the justice secretary.

"I think this will open the door to a judicial review by the American families."

Mr McBride added: "I'm amazed that he seems to have been afforded some kind of celebrity status."

McBride also described MacAskill's visit as "one of the most shameful episodes" he had seen during his legal career.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:50 pm

Always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves.

In the interests of balance, here's what Tam Dalyell said:

"I feel very strongly that Mr MacAskill was right to have gone to see Mr Megrahi.

"He was my opponent and I have disagreed with Mr MacAskill on many matters, but on this, I strongly support him."

When asked if criticism of his visit was wrong, he replied "totally" before adding of the Justice Secretary's decision: "He has already seen the relatives of victims of the bombing. He has already seen the US law officers and frankly it's a unique case. [...] I think it's totally unfair to criticise Mr MacAskill for going to see him. I wish Labour members of the Scottish Parliament had shown more interest in the whole Lockerbie saga and clearly Mr Baker knows little about it."

“Kenny MacAskill was absolutely right to go and see al-Megrahi. Since he has already talked to the US authorities and the families, it would have been quite wrong, and a dereliction of duty, not to go and see the man himself”.

Sources: http://www.theherald.co.uk/search/displ ... egrahi.php
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 740747.ece
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:58 pm

Lucky Poet wrote: ........................

“Kenny MacAskill was absolutely right to go and see al-Megrahi. Since he has already talked to the US authorities and the families, it would have been quite wrong, and a dereliction of duty, not to go and see the man himself”.

Sources: http://www.theherald.co.uk/search/displ ... egrahi.php
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 740747.ece

Neither the US authorities nor the families are party to an ongoing appeal in the Scottish courts.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:05 pm

::):
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:47 pm

Oh aye, just one more thing. Why would a politician of Dalyell's experience and stature forget such an important detail? It's as if he thinks it's irrelevant.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:55 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:Oh aye, just one more thing. Why would a politician of Dalyell's experience and stature forget such an important detail? It's as if he thinks it's irrelevant.

What makes you think he forgot it? It doesn't suit his long held belief in Megrahi's innocence so he's ignoring it.

As it happens I'm not convinced of Megrahi's guilt but if he's going to be released I want Scottish judges - not Scottish politicians (of any complexion) to do it.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:36 pm

onyirtodd wrote:...if he's going to be released I want Scottish judges - not Scottish politicians (of any complexion) to do it.

Fair enough, a perfectly reasonable position to hold.
onyirtodd wrote:What makes you think he forgot it? It doesn't suit his long held belief in Megrahi's innocence so he's ignoring it.

It strikes me he only holds a different position to you, as regards possible release under executive power. Unless you're saying the prison visit could actually prejudice the judicial process, he's not ignoring it at all. Why would he need to? From his position, it's simply not important.

Just to be clear, do you think it could interfere with the appeal?
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:47 am

Lucky Poet wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:...if he's going to be released I want Scottish judges - not Scottish politicians (of any complexion) to do it.

Fair enough, a perfectly reasonable position to hold.
onyirtodd wrote:What makes you think he forgot it? It doesn't suit his long held belief in Megrahi's innocence so he's ignoring it.

It strikes me he only holds a different position to you, as regards possible release under executive power. Unless you're saying the prison visit could actually prejudice the judicial process, he's not ignoring it at all. Why would he need to? From his position, it's simply not important.

Just to be clear, do you think it could interfere with the appeal?

In so far as Megrahi might be tempted to abandon his appeal if he feels, rightly or wrongly, that MacAskill's visit might be a precursor to his return to Libya.

I don't want to see Megrahi languishing in Gateside any longer than is necessary. I woudn't want to anyone stuck anywhere in Greenock any longer than is necessary but Magrahi's release or continued incarceration should be a matter for the courts.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:41 am

Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:12 am

Doorstop wrote:Surprise, surprise. :roll:

Cynical? Me Sir? Pffft!

MacAskill is testing the water. Leak a 'story' to a gullible journalist, in this case Glenn Campbell - yet another BBC hack pissed off by Robert Peston's celebrity status - and see what sort of public reaction you get.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:20 am

That may well be the circuitous route they are taking .. shocking.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:26 am

Doorstop wrote:That may well be the circuitous route they are taking .. shocking.

That's MacAskill for you. Scared shitless of making a decision. They don't even let him answer questions live on air.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:47 pm

Megrahi will make a miraculous recovery when he gets home, no doubt. The Libyans will treat him as a returning hero and be utterly amazed at how stupid we really are.

Tam Dalyell is, and always be, an arsehole, in my view.
Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:54 pm

I doubt he'll make a miraculous recovery but he will, if released, almost certainly drop his appeal. It's doubtful if the appeal will shed any new light on the matter but once it's dropped it certainly cannot.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions