Depression

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Depression

Postby glasgowken » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:13 am

Anyone else going through this from time to time ? I remember Doorstop posted about it a while back.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Depression

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:28 am

I'd bet a fair proportion of the people here are too, or people anywhere come to that. I've been there quite a lot myself now and again :?

(If it's any consolation, this time of year really doesn't help.)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby bcuk10 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:52 am

Lucky Poet wrote:I'd bet a fair proportion of the people here are too, or people anywhere come to that. I've been there quite a lot myself now and again :?

(If it's any consolation, this time of year really doesn't help.)

I have been suffering with depresion for almost 10 years and although i have a great family, wife,grown up kids & grand kids. I still dread this time of year and find the new year worst of all. I hate feeling the way i do and try not to spoil the familys fun i retreat to my room when things get to over whelming for me. or go out with my camera.

ps i used to be ashamed to say i had depression as i am a 6ft 19 stone 48 year old man and thought it was a womens thing but found out that this is not the case at all. so for any one else out there your not alone just do what you can when the mood is right for you.
bcuk10
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:47 am

I've just been signed off pending further investigation. My doctor would rather see if it can be overcome as anxiety before going further as I'm in my early 30's and I've never had issues before. I like many others bottled it up despite having a fantastic support network around me, I'm glad I went to my doctor and opened up as I can now see some light at the end of what was a very dark tunnel.

Apparently depression spiralling out of control is more common in men as we don't like much to discuss our emotional issues, guys if you feel even slightly low go see your doctor or pick up the phone to one of the many confidential helplines.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:03 am

http://www.livinglifetothefull.com

The title of that web site is dreadfull, but it can be genuinely helpfull. It's an online cognitive behavioural therapy course.
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:21 am

You can add me to you list of sufferers. I have had depression on and off since early childhood, cbt does not work for me, and I refuse to take anti-depressants(bad past experiences with these), It all depends on what is causing the depression, what will work, but there is help out there.

You are not alone.
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:39 pm

I had depression from 18 onwards. Turned out to be hormonal and it's all sorted now. Worth a trip to the endocrinologist. I wouldn't trust anti-depressants if all they do is treat the symptoms rather than the cause.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:03 pm

Lone Groover wrote:http://www.livinglifetothefull.com

The title of that web site is dreadfull, but it can be genuinely helpfull. It's an online cognitive behavioural therapy course.

I suffered severe depression at the beginning of the year, had to have time of work and attended the doctor who put me on fluoxetine but I also signed up to attend the Living Life to the Full Course at John Wheatley in Shettleston and have to say it was brilliant. The course organisers were excellent and the help and stuff they give you to take home was very helpful. I'd recommend it to anyone who is feeling stressed or low.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Whangie » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:08 pm

I've had troubles with Depression over the past two years, its more common than you might think. Apparently one in three people will have an episode of depression in their lifetime which they will need treatment for. According to my GP anyway.
Whangie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby glasgowken » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Lots of sensible replies, cheers :)
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:12 am

I'll say a wee word in favour of pills, just for the sake of balance. I did end up resorting to Sertraline early last year after some unfortunate stuff, staying on them for several months. It was for an anxiety thing, though my quack described it and depression as "two sides of the same coin". What can I say? They absolutely were not a cure, but they helped stabilise things so I could find my feet again. There were some rather odd side-effects, but overall it worked for me. I'd do it again if I felt it was needed.

I'm beginning to think that straight men specifically have a bit of a raw deal when it comes to this kind of thing. That macho ideal that pretty much equates any discussion of feelings with the loss of 'manhood' itself. It's complete hogwash, but it's pernicious stuff. I'm glad I'm largely exempt from having to live up to this ridiculous ideal, but it has to be challenged. There's no shame in being a real human being, with real emotions and all that that entails.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Doorstop » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:42 am

Hear, hear .. well said that man.

Depression is a much maligned and misunderstood illness. And that is exactly what it is, an illness .. it's not feeling fed up, or being a lazy bastard, or a case of "pull yourself together man", it is an actual illness caused by a lack of, or the wrong mixture of, certain neurotransmitters in the brain.

The problem for most people is the multitude of differing forms it manifests itself in .. it's not always the stereotypical "sitting in four day old unwashed clothes with a weeks growth of beard contemplating whether or not it's worth going on". Depression can present in varying shades of grey from "the blues" to full blown psychosis.

I would be bold enough to say that anyone who has said "I've had depression but I managed to shake it off myself." hasn't actually been suffering from clinical depression at all.

Chemicals (the prescription kind) have a massive part to play in the treatment of depression as they don't just 'mask the symptoms' as one poster said, they actually replace a detriment of serotonin or dopamine in the system or, in certain forms of depression, actually stem an overproduction of the same chemicals which can, paradoxically, cause the same symptoms as a lack of them.

I'm not saying that a 'lifestyle overview' and some cognitive behavioural therapy isn't a good thing, as they undoubtedly have their place, but anyone who suspects they may be on the cusp, or in the throws of, clinical depression (either indigenous or reactive) should be speaking to their GP as their first port of call.

Chenical intervention at the outset, at least in the short term, clears up what, for the majority of depression sufferers, is a purely transient episode leaving them, after a few months, able to come off the more modern SSRI type anti-depreessive meds with no long term ill effect.

And don't believe the horror stories bandied about in the exploitative magazine press over the side effects of these drugs as, in the main, they are usually limited to short periods of sleeplessness, a dry mouth, a slightly fast heartbeat and little else, all of which are very short lived, dissipating after a fortnight or so.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:54 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:I'll say a wee word in favour of pills, just for the sake of balance. I did end up resorting to Sertraline early last year after some unfortunate stuff, staying on them for several months. It was for an anxiety thing, though my quack described it and depression as "two sides of the same coin". What can I say? They absolutely were not a cure, but they helped stabilise things so I could find my feet again. There were some rather odd side-effects, but overall it worked for me. I'd do it again if I felt it was needed.

I'm beginning to think that straight men specifically have a bit of a raw deal when it comes to this kind of thing. That macho ideal that pretty much equates any discussion of feelings with the loss of 'manhood' itself. It's complete hogwash, but it's pernicious stuff. I'm glad I'm largely exempt from having to live up to this ridiculous ideal, but it has to be challenged. There's no shame in being a real human being, with real emotions and all that that entails.

I agree. Medication really helped. Not the only answer but certainly brings you back on an even keel.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:14 pm

I have also been in this situation.
When you see a close family member with a terminal disease it is difficult.
My mother suffered from Alzheimer's for a number of years and died in February 2007.
It was almost a relief when the end came. She was a complete vegetable and didn't speak. Not sure if she knew any of
the family by sight as she always had a sort of blank expression.

As Lucky Poet said 'this time of year really doesn't help'.
I feel I must make an effort for the sake of my Dad, husband and sons.

Doorstop said how people think you just have 'to pull yourself together'.
I don't think that remark is helpful to anyone who is suffering from depression.
Good to hear what other people have experienced and how they cope.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:43 am

Dot wrote:Doorstop said how people think you just have 'to pull yourself together'.
I don't think that remark is helpful to anyone who is suffering from depression.
Good to hear what other people have experienced and how they cope.

It isn't, and along with "just think happy thoughts", can actually make it worse. One of the problems of depression is inability to think happy thoughts or pull yourself together. I have been known to tell someone saying the above to run and tell the BMA they have found the cure to depression.
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions