Computer Problems.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Computer Problems.

Postby Boxer6 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:17 pm

HelenD wrote:Blimey! This wee Android phone is something...

I've got it working as a WiFi router and my laptop is talking to the web server on my netbook.

Quite so, sounds good!

(Anyone let me in on what that all means? Pleeeeaaase?!?!) :D
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:35 pm

It's something to do with magic boxes, I think?
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Boxer6 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:02 am

Lucky Poet wrote:It's something to do with magic boxes, I think?

Ah, that explains it.

Cheers LP.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bcuk10 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:46 pm

I have picked this up (Suspicious.Cloud.7.A) seems that Norton catches it and deals with it but it still returns, i ran Norton's antivirus but it was still there i then tried cc cleaner but message still came up now and again,checked again online and Norton advised downloading Norton's power eraser so far so good. so is this a virus or malware ?
bcuk10
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:29 pm

http://www.symantec.com/security_respon ... 99&tabid=2

I think it depends on which file it's objecting to. As you can see from the blurb, it picks up innocent stuff and recommends a manual check.
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bcuk10 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:02 am

HelenD wrote:http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2012-071111-0324-99&tabid=2

I think it depends on which file it's objecting to. As you can see from the blurb, it picks up innocent stuff and recommends a manual check.

It seems to have been fixed using the Norton's power eraser, it was annoying as the alerts were every few minutes since the 7th of Jan so hopefully its gone now.
bcuk10
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:55 pm

I've tried running the malwarbytes anti malware freebie to do a full scan however it keeps stopping at 4 mins at a Java programme ( I think) does that mean a virus is stopping it?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pingu » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:33 am

Bridie wrote:I've tried running the malwarbytes anti malware freebie to do a full scan however it keeps stopping at 4 mins at a Java programme ( I think) does that mean a virus is stopping it?

could be...java has had some issues lately

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/10/java_0day/

disable your java plug ins to be on the safe side
toot toot
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:24 am

pingu wrote:
Bridie wrote:I've tried running the malwarbytes anti malware freebie to do a full scan however it keeps stopping at 4 mins at a Java programme ( I think) does that mean a virus is stopping it?

could be...java has had some issues lately

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/10/java_0day/

disable your java plug ins to be on the safe side

Thanks Pingu :) Yes I read about the Java problem trouble is I haven't a clue what Java is or what Java does. I don't know how to disable however I can uninstall a programme which I've just did - do I have to replace Java with anything?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pingu » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:05 pm

youl need java to use some web sites so your best bet is to just leave it off till the security problem is fixed then install it again.

i dont think theres an alternative for it
toot toot
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:36 am

Java is an object-oriented programming language which is intended to be more programmer-friendly than C++. Real programmers roll up their sleeves and use C++ and I don't know anyone who uses Java. Older programmers use C and still older programmers use a soldering iron.

On a non-technical level Java is used as an add-on to run funky gimmicks on websites designed by web designers who think that funky gimmicks are cool. The rest of us see these things as a self-indulgent pain in the arse and remove Java because it has become something of a nuisance over the last six months or so.

Unless there's a good reason for installing it, leave it off your system.
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:49 am

Thank you Pingu and HelenD
I have removed it - not missed it and the scan ran ok without it :)
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby War Baby » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:25 pm

I'm having an Ancestry site problem... The profile pages are enlarged: the breadth doesn't fit the screen and the length is too long, if you see what I mean. It means that if I try a print-out of an Ancestry profile page for anyone, it needs two pages for the info instead of one. I use Firefox.

I had the same problem before, and I think the problem was solved, starting with Ctrl+Alt+Del ... but I have forgotten what I did after that. .....I phoned Ancestry this morning, and they told me to go to View and Zoom and then click Ctrl and minus but some box was supposed to come up - which didn't appear. So I got nowhere at all.

I would be grateful if someone had a solution to this.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:49 pm

The Ctrl & Minus keys work for me.
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby War Baby » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:00 pm

Hollowhorn,
I brought up a sample profile page and clicked on Ctrl and minus, and it DID allow me to reduce the size of the page - yet when I tried a print-out of the reduced profile-page which was there on-screen, the printer STILL NEEDED THREE PAGES to print because it reverted back again. In other words, what it printed showed no change the to larger picture that I don't want.

Ancestry said to go to bring up the profile page I wanted to print, then to go to VIEW and ZOOM, but then what? When I hover the mouse over zoom, I get a box coming up to the right, which says:

ZOOM IN
ZOOM OUT
RESET
ZOOM TEXT ONLY

Ancestry's technical advisor seemed to expect something else to appear...??? (The advisor seemed to be thrown because I was using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer.)

...I am certain there is a way to get back the normal sized Ancestry profiles on screen. I am overlooking something but just can't quite figure out what it is.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions