Computer Problems.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Computer Problems.

Postby mrlipring » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:54 pm

Lone Groover wrote:Anyone know of a laptop that features a decent hi fi connect?

What inputs does your hi-fi have? Ideally you'd want to go digital all the way to the hi-fi, so if it has coax or optical sp-dif input, you're laughing.

I wouldn't go for a laptop with either of these outputs built-in, however. It's uncommon so you'd be paying over the odds. Like Doorstop suggested, get a USB or firewire audio interface with sp-dif output, and route your music from the laptop through that. You'll be able to set a specific soundcard as the output in whatever software want to use to play the music.

Decent audio interfaces start at maybe 30 quid and go up to silly money.

Remember you don't have to spend much money at all on the laptop itself. I'd be tempted to get something really cheap, even second hand. If you then want to be particularly swish, get yourself an Android tablet to use as a big remote control to browse the music. Album art etc in the palm of your hand. The whole setup doesn't need to cost more than maybe 300 quid for laptop, tablet, audio interface.
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:03 pm

There are three general methods of getting the music out of your computer and into your hi-fi:
Using media player software on your computer to play the music, and connecting the computer’s sound card directly to your hi-fi
Using a high quality external USB sound card that has a good digital to analogue converter (DAC) on board, and connecting this between the computer and the hi-fi
Using a dedicated stand-alone digital stream player (sometimes referred to as ‘media receiver’ or ‘digital media player’)

http://www.linnrecords.com/linn-how-to-play-downloads-through-your-hifi.aspx

Think beyond the box http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_media_receiver

Or an Iphone/ I Pad plus I tunes to control it from your bath chair.

You may wish to combine recording your Guitar and voice onto your computer as well playing your Flac files via this

M-Audio MobilePre USB Audio Interface

If you want we can borrow Felonious's laptop and dac convertor for a demonstration.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:53 am

Thanks all.
The linn link is terrifying. If you have to ask the price you can't afford it !!!! :oops:

Much to browse, thanks again.
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:48 am

My amp/cd player/tuner has a USB port, can I just connect from laptop to that ?

Bloody hope so !
Also 2 digital in sockets, bur can't see what type
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:04 pm

Nope, the USB socket will be for a USB hard drive or thumb drive type thing. You won't be able to connect a PC directly to it unfortunately.

Are the digital in optical or coax? Most sound cards/audio interfaces that have one will have the other, so you'll be fine using that.
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:03 am

Any views on the Kindle fire HD?
Thinking of getting one for my missus for Christmas.
Seems to have mixed reviews and I don't want to go as far an iPad but have heard that a Samsung Tablet is a good halfway house between the two.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:02 am

Can't comment on the Kindle Fire, but I've had a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" Wifi tablet for a couple of months, excellent battery life, good display, handles all the media types I've thrown at it. Downside is the 4GB on board storage, but there is a microSD slot, which is handy I've got a 32Gb card, plenty of space for movies, ebooks etc, sign up for dropbox to sync & share files between computers & tablet. Plenty of Apps available from Google Play store, and if you already have an android phone once you sign in all your contacts etc sync over & email set up too with minimal fuss/effort

Its got a front facing camera - handy for Skype video calls, decent sized on screen keyboard.

I pretty much use it as my main browsing /email /social media interface, now and only use the laptop for more in depth tasks. Although you can connect it to a PC/Laptop to transfer files, it doesn't charge from the USB socket

I paid £199 but there was a £30 cash back deal - this was around the time of the Kindle Fire being launched.

Another to consider is the Google Nexus - seen it advertised with Currys/PC World with 32Gb on board storage, for £199 but you get £20 cash back if you purchase a case with it.

I'd recommend the leather flip case (looks like a moleskine notbook) it folds over into a stand as well, as opposed to the soft slip case type

Avoid the BlackBerry play tablet - good deals but the range of Apps is poor IMHO and BlackBerry have stopped making them plus it's OS leaves a bit to be desired.

Hope you find this helpful if you want to know more drop me a PM.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby engineer » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:49 pm

Lone Groover wrote:Not a problem. looking for the word of experience before i commit to a new gadget.

I am going to buy a laptop to run with a huge exdternal memory to host all my music.

All the laptops I have looked at only have a mini headphone style output socket.

Anyone know of a laptop that features a decent hi fi connect?

Cheers. :roll:

I bought an apple airport express, about £70 i think. connects to your stereo with 3.5mm plug (optical output also) and streams the music from your computer. was a real pain in the tits to set up initially but does work really well.
downside is on a PC it'll only work with itunes, but you can buy a prog called airfoil which will have it output anything (spotify, youtube in yer browser etc) AND fortunately for me Ubuntu (and I assume most linux) will stream to it also.
in addition to the stereo hookup it does a whole lot more, wifi extending,printer sharing etc.
only apple product i can afford!
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:21 pm

RDR wrote:Any views on the Kindle fire HD?
Thinking of getting one for my missus for Christmas.
Seems to have mixed reviews and I don't want to go as far an iPad but have heard that a Samsung Tablet is a good halfway house between the two.

Gutted as it's the same tablet I bought 3 month's ago, but
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7″ available for £120 with Amazon UK promotion: The Samsung Galaxy Tab has been grea... http://t.co/qCYMChlC
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:00 am

yoker brian wrote:Can't comment on the Kindle Fire, but I've had a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" Wifi tablet for a couple of months, excellent battery life, good display, handles all the media types I've thrown at it. Downside is the 4GB on board storage, but there is a microSD slot, which is handy I've got a 32Gb card, plenty of space for movies, ebooks etc, sign up for dropbox to sync & share files between computers & tablet. Plenty of Apps available from Google Play store, and if you already have an android phone once you sign in all your contacts etc sync over & email set up too with minimal fuss/effort

Its got a front facing camera - handy for Skype video calls, decent sized on screen keyboard.

I pretty much use it as my main browsing /email /social media interface, now and only use the laptop for more in depth tasks. Although you can connect it to a PC/Laptop to transfer files, it doesn't charge from the USB socket

I paid £199 but there was a £30 cash back deal - this was around the time of the Kindle Fire being launched.

Another to consider is the Google Nexus - seen it advertised with Currys/PC World with 32Gb on board storage, for £199 but you get £20 cash back if you purchase a case with it.

I'd recommend the leather flip case (looks like a moleskine notbook) it folds over into a stand as well, as opposed to the soft slip case type

Avoid the BlackBerry play tablet - good deals but the range of Apps is poor IMHO and BlackBerry have stopped making them plus it's OS leaves a bit to be desired.

Hope you find this helpful if you want to know more drop me a PM.

Thanks YB, really helpful and pretty much settles my mind that I won't go for the Kindle Fire.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:58 pm

More of an irritation than a problem, does anyone else get this when they close one site & attempt to open another:
Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system.

After 30 secs or so I can open the new site, be nice to get rid of it though.

Fuck off in advance, Fossil.
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:48 pm

Why not just open the second (or third) sites in tabs?

Ctrl-t and it opens a new window inside Firefox with the tabs at the top, allowing you to flick between sites without actually having to shut any of them down.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:30 am

I get this problem from time to time, closing Firefox and then realising there was something else I wanted to look at.

The window disappears but it's not gone from memory at this point. It can take a while for Firefox to close itself down, particularly if you have a slow system that's running a lot of other stuff at the time.

Tabs are where it's at. I remember the bad old days of IE when I'd have half a dozen separate windows open at any time. If you got used to computing at about that time, I can see how this might become ingrained.
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:56 pm

Blimey! This wee Android phone is something...

I've got it working as a WiFi router and my laptop is talking to the web server on my netbook.
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:15 pm

Android ftw!
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext