Computer Problems.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Computer Problems.

Postby John » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:24 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Aye, but with my last printer, when my black ran out it refused to print.

Buy a cheap B&W laser printer. The cartridge will last years.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:08 am

Really? I don't need to print photographs, it's just for documents. Where is the best to go / site to visit?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:38 am

Pretty much anything by Samsung, Lexmark or Kyocera within your budged would be fine. I have a 10 year old Lexmark and I think I had to change the toner once in that time.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-ML-1670 ... 341&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-ML-1865 ... 451&sr=1-2
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby PGCC » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:37 pm

HollowHorn wrote: it's just for a document

Whit a pavlova...! :roll:

Just scribble your last will and testament on a bit of bog roll and be done with it*. It's still a legal document in Scotland you know.

* I get first dib's on your camera and Up Skirt photo collection
PGCC
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:43 pm

John wrote:
HollowHorn wrote:Aye, but with my last printer, when my black ran out it refused to print.

Buy a cheap B&W laser printer. The cartridge will last years.

Sound advice. I believe cheapo colour printers use the CNY mix to make black print and many won't work at all when/ if the colour cartridges are empty - even if you have no specific plans to use colour.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:05 am

The camera is yours PG, I dropped it again & am sending it away to get fixed. Can anyone recommend a good rubber camera for the butter fingered?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PGCC » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:22 am

HollowHorn wrote:The camera is yours PG, I dropped it again & am sending it away to get fixed. Can anyone recommend a good rubber camera for the butter fingered?

Nice one H much appreciated 8)

I'll discuss collection details with your widow on the day at the purvey. BTW any chance you could make sure it's got at least a class 10 64Gig compact flash card if it's not too much trouble... it would seal the deal so to speak. In the off chance it can't be repaired I'd happily take a cash alternative to at least the MRSP value.
PGCC
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:36 pm

G-man, check your PM's, I need a favour.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PGCC » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:50 am

Got it , and Sorted!
PGCC
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:50 pm

This isn't so much a computer problem as a mobile broadband dongle issue.

I've got a 3 mobile dongle. It has a SIM inside.

The SIM has suddenly started getting text messages - the usual stuff like please claim the compensation you're due for the accident you had and so on.

Anyone else getting this or has someone stumbled across my SIM's number by accident?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:12 pm

The Egg Man wrote:This isn't so much a computer problem as a mobile broadband dongle issue.

I've got a 3 mobile dongle. It has a SIM inside.

The SIM has suddenly started getting text messages - the usual stuff like please claim the compensation you're due for the accident you had and so on.

Anyone else getting this or has someone stumbled across my SIM's number by accident?

Yes I've had it happen in the past.
Like you I just thought it was an accident.
Stopped after a bit though.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:24 pm

Thanks.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:13 am

Another question regarding dongles …… will they work with desktops, or only with pre-equipped laptops?

I ask because a friend of ours lives in a caravan, and can't really afford to buy even a cheap laptop. We have an old Dell desktop she can have, but not much point if she can't access the 'net with it!

Alternatively, anyone aware of any programs which I could download and copy over to the desktop via my laptop?

Thanks in advance.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:48 am

Boxer6 wrote:Another question regarding dongles …… will they work with desktops, or only with pre-equipped laptops?

I ask because a friend of ours lives in a caravan, and can't really afford to buy even a cheap laptop. We have an old Dell desktop she can have, but not much point if she can't access the 'net with it!

Alternatively, anyone aware of any programs which I could download and copy over to the desktop via my laptop?

Thanks in advance.

They will work with desktops but as ever depends on the OS the desktop has and the compatibility of the software which comes with the dongle.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:42 pm

RDR wrote:
Boxer6 wrote:Another question regarding dongles …… will they work with desktops, or only with pre-equipped laptops?

Thanks in advance.

They will work with desktops but as ever depends on the OS the desktop has and the compatibility of the software which comes with the dongle.

I used to use a vodaphone dongle which was ok for looking at websites and sending emails but the download speed isnt fast enough to be able to watch videos on you tube or tv via the internet
The cost of top up on the dongle was £15 min which gives you 1gb of time online but the older vodaphone dongles allow you to carry unused credit forward to the next month but the new ones you have to use all your credit within the month or you lose it whether its used up or not
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions