Computer Problems.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Computer Problems.

Postby Lone Groover » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:14 am

busdriver wrote:Was forced to use Recovery Disc/s to get my pc running normally again unfortunetly that is not happening, original proplem was it wouldnt start up after fiddling with switch it eventually did, then it wouldnt reboot and was telling me varous system files were corrupt and to use recovery for repair (press:R) for repair. Went through the repair process using both discs tells me its copying files to my hard drive then after doing that then says system will reboot from disc 1 on restarting, so I insert disc restart and now all I get is a blue screen saying its copying files but this goes on for like an hour and still nothing is happening.

Any advice to get round this problem greatly appreciated am lost without my home PC hate using public ones.

Many thanks.

Sorry to report - but this happened to me a few times- I got the disc wiped and re installed, but evcentually it was a trip to argos and a new pc. Hells bells it was som much better than the old one !
You can probably get some data retrieved at a local pc store
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby busdriver » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:23 am

Sorry to report - but this happened to me a few times- I got the disc wiped and re installed, but evcentually it was a trip to argos and a new pc. Hells bells it was som much better than the old one !

Thanks LG, I was thinking this myself just cant afford it right now. Oh well :cry:
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:13 pm

busdriver wrote:

Thanks LG, I was thinking this myself just cant afford it right now. Oh well :cry:

Try the little pc shop in partick next to old woolworths. Not too dear to re programme your pc. Might keep it going for a year or so.
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:22 pm

busdriver wrote:Thanks LG, I was thinking this myself just cant afford it right now. Oh well :cry:

The guys in Killie restored all the files on my external drive for £20, so it really depends on how badly you can't afford to get back the stuff you lost. PC World or the other big places with act like a tradesman - scratch head, Phhhhhhh, that's gonna be expensive to fix. The wee guys who know their stuff will just take it, fix it and be done with it.

When you get back on line, download a copy of Ubuntu and burn it to a CD/DVD. If your PC crashes just stick the disk in your CD Tray and fire your computer up and you will be faced with a few options, one of which is to run Ubuntu from the disk. Do that and you will be presented with a similar interface that Windoze offers. You can choose to partition part of your drive with Ubuntu so do that (it does it for you) and store anything you want to keep in there.

Now recover Windoze and when it fires up you will have a new drive with all yer stuff safely stored away, or you should do at least. If you have the option try to store the stuff to an external source such bearing in mind that you will not be able to use the CD tray as it'll be running Ubuntu (you can of course install Ubuntu if you NEED the CD tray to save your stuff)
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:41 pm

As dave says above, try a wee shop, theres a few around pc world at finnieston, i use priceless a lot so try them
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:30 pm

A 'friend' sent me a link to a slightly risque website. The layout was much like here with a central body of content and a supposedly blank strip up each side of the page.

When I clicked on the 'blank' area to get my scrolling mouse to work I was taken to a very much more risque website - nothing actually illegal but not the sort of thing you'd want your wife or girlfriend to think you'd been browsing.

I don't know whether I'm more impressed that they can do that or annoyed that I got stung like that.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:44 pm

The Egg Man wrote:A 'friend' sent me a link to a slightly risque website. The layout was much like here with a central body of content and a supposedly blank strip up each side of the page.

When I clicked on the 'blank' area to get my scrolling mouse to work I was taken to a very much more risque website - nothing actually illegal but not the sort of thing you'd want your wife or girlfriend to think you'd been browsing.

I don't know whether I'm more impressed that they can do that or annoyed that I got stung like that.

Are you sure it was a friend? In my experience I've had mail to my inbox with a contacts name appearing correctly, however on inspection of the email headers it is a bogus email address. Before you click check with your friend or you'll be beaming all manner of stuff down to whoever is trying to hack you.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:48 pm

I was fairly sure. I've since checked and it was him. We've exchanged stuff like this for yonks but I really don't want to have to go through the process of phoning everyone who emails me every time to check if they did, in fact, send it.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:23 pm

The Egg Man wrote:I was fairly sure. I've since checked and it was him. We've exchanged stuff like this for yonks but I really don't want to have to go through the process of phoning everyone who emails me every time to check if they did, in fact, send it.

If I'm unsure I just right click the email and click the 'check headers' option. Obviously it's inconvenient to check everyone but now you have naughty history on your computer, the price of a text might have sorted it :wink:
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:05 pm

I have a laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate 64.

There's hardly anything installed on it because W7 is basically on probation. It's not looking good.

Occasionally, I'll fire it up and leave it. About ten minutes later it gives me the Blue Screen of Death.

Sometimes it will wait until I load a DVD to watch.

Today it's done it twice in Al Pacino's 88 minutes. How apt.

Is anyone having any success with Windows 7? I can't rely on anything this unstable even if it is very sporadic.

I have the 32-bit version in the same box.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:06 pm

I've got two lappies here with win7 on them. The OS is solid. The Dell hardware... Less so. Bloody awful cooling on these things. My HP never overheated like this. Now I'm using it on a laptop cooler and it doesn't crash at all.

If it's unstable and you've hardly installed anything on it, it'll most likely be overheating or shitty drivers. Update the drivers, try to keep it cool and see how you go.

You're not missing much with that Pacino film.
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:15 pm

I'm using windows 7 64bit on my laptop and not had one bit of bother with it, Only time I've ever had bother was on my old laptop but then my old laptop didn't like anything
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:42 pm

I've got it on my Laptop, bought in November, and My P.C. bought around March.No problems.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:48 am

mrlipring wrote:You're not missing much with that Pacino film.

Only the last 20 minutes. :)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

password proteced my router

Postby bcuk10 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:15 am

Hi every one :)

I have a Dynamode router (cable / virgin) when i first set it up i never password proteced my router. when we check for available connections mine shows up unprotected in the list others ask for password and usser on the laptop.
so i supose anyone can use my conection if they are within range (down stairs neighbour for instance).
when i checked the online http://192.168.1.1/ page it tells you to login as guest and password is guest and go to MISC section in there is a place to change password will this stop laptop showing up as unprotected and we just use our own new password.

router is working great i would just like to password protect it from other ussers.
here is the page i was sent to http://192.168.1.1/ Login ID & Password Setup. login as guest and password is guest
bcuk10
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions