I want to buy a bike

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: I want to buy a bike

Postby Doorstop » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:12 pm

The Police auction I was at the other week was chock-a-bloc with bicycles. Most of them, it has to be said, were nothing short of scrap metal but there were at least half a dozen of exceptional quality (two of them were CUBE cycles, worth around £1,500 or so each) and I don't think any of the better bikes went for anything over £200.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:41 am

Doorstop wrote:The Police auction I was at the other week was chock-a-bloc with bicycles. Most of them, it has to be said, were nothing short of scrap metal but there were at least half a dozen of exceptional quality (two of them were CUBE cycles, worth around £1,500 or so each) and I don't think any of the better bikes went for anything over £200.

Sounds like a great chance for a bargain! How do you find out where and when the auctions are?
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:07 pm

Dugald I saw your post. The Common Wheel is a charity dependent on an NHS grant and other funders. it recycles bikes. My son has been there and he recommends it despite the boss's view on fixed wheelers.

http://www.commonwheel.org.uk/history
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: I want to buy a (second hand stolen/lost damaged) bike

Postby MungoDundas » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:14 pm

Grtz,

I've been to the chaotic Wilson's Auctions, a NornIron
Company with a presence in Dalry. They sell all manner
of stuff (most of which one could well live without).
Maybe about 200 bikes in a standard Police Auction?

http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/Scotland.asp

No harm, but their cafe wouldn't be one of my favourites.
There's a bit of a scrum paying at the end.

As mentioned earlier, Common Wheel are good people.
They're just behind the McDonalds on Maryhill Road,
alternatively (for HG) they're near the Ruchill Parish
Church Tea Room [open Mon - Fri 11am - 3pm].

Rgds,
MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dugald » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:22 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Dugald I saw your post. The Common Wheel is a charity dependent on an NHS grant and other funders. it recycles bikes. My son has been there and he recommends it despite the boss's view on fixed wheelers.
http://www.commonwheel.org.uk/history

I'm glad you had read my post Dexter. With an NHS grant the bike-repair project will have a much better chance of succeeding. There are a number of such therapeutic endeavours in Toronto which receive government grants, but none that i'm aware of that deal with bike repairs...a novel endeavour! Yes, as I metioned before, if someone can be trained to build a wheel for example, and have the patience to pursue it, i'm sure the therapeutic benifits would be worthwhile. Good luck to them.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Rucola » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:05 pm

I got my bike from Common Wheel and I can thoroughly recommend them. They're also in Bridgeton in the old bus garage (same place as the Vintage Vehicle Trust).
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:32 pm

allyharp wrote:
Doorstop wrote:The Police auction I was at the other week was chock-a-bloc with bicycles. Most of them, it has to be said, were nothing short of scrap metal but there were at least half a dozen of exceptional quality (two of them were CUBE cycles, worth around £1,500 or so each) and I don't think any of the better bikes went for anything over £200.

Sounds like a great chance for a bargain! How do you find out where and when the auctions are?

I found out from a mate who frequents the auctions quite regularly. The auctioneers ahve their own website with all the details of forthcoming posted.

The only downside is that you can't find out what's on offer until the day before when they add a PDF download of the auction catalogue to the website. Alternatively, you can view everything on offer in person the day before and pick up a paper copy of the auction sheet to mark off what lots you intend to bid on (that's the way I do it).

It's well worth a wander down, the last two I've been to have been choc a bloc with all-sorts of goodies, from obviously half inched gear to computers, hi-fi equipment, tvs, printers etc. all still in the boxes and cellophane wrappers .. a lot of which go for absolute wallies.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:47 am

Further to my previous posts I'd like to relay a few bargains that I've acquired and would like to offer them here first.

(For the simple reason that I'd like to only have to deliver inside Glasgow or surrounding districts as I can't be arsed with the palaver of 'large item' postage to elsewhere)

Giant Reign 3 approx £1200 (ebay offers £800)

Specialized Stump Jumper M4 approx £1,200 new .. sorry folks, but I cant find a second hand price anywhere for this one but I reckon on about the same as the GR3

Both bikes have full disc brakes front and rear and 24 speed hand-grip shift derailleurs.

The GR3 has 'proper' rear suspension, none of the usual mickey mouse bollocks a lot of 'so called' pro standard bikes have.

I also managed to pip someone out of the bidding for a top shelf road bike ..

Specialized Allez Sport approx £600 new,ebay offers £300

Aluminium frame, carbon forks .. you can pick this blighter up with one finger .. no messing.

All the bikes are in good nick with only minor paintwork blemishes but that having been said I'm putting them into a pro cycle shop for a full service before they get to their respective purchasers, not that they need it .. I'm just being thorough, saves any fannying about later on with minor niggles.

I'm offering ALL of these cycles for well under the asking price of their ebay counterparts so if anyone's interested then drop me a line
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:11 am

How much did you get that Reign for? PM me if you don't want to disclose on the board! I'm not interested in buying, just intrigued as to how much of a bargain can be had.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:15 am

Oh, and your Stumpjumper doesn't have Gripshift! :P
(which is a good thing)
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:01 pm

Did you resell your fleet of bikes doorstop!?

I've just bught a second bike, it turns out one just isn't enough ...

it's pretty, and should go faster :)
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hazy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:32 pm

Aye if it had pedals. 8O
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:09 am

Sharon wrote:Did you resell your fleet of bikes doorstop!?

Sold them all bar the Stumpjumper Sharon, kept that one for myself, made a very handsome wee profit too it has to be said.

I'll be doing the whole thing again in the very near future, should anyone be interested in possible bargainousness drop me a PM and I'll fire off details as and when things get rolling.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lordsleek » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:18 am

Does anyone know of somewhere reasonable to get a bike serviced? East end preferred.
eeeeeewwwww whats that!
Can I touch it?
lordsleek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:28 am

I don't know anywhere East end. I used West End Cycles just off Byres Road.

Ask for George, very thorough and professional, not cheap but you get what you pay for.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions