How RICH are you?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

How RICH are you?

Postby Sharon » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:56 am

You are in the top 10.79% richest people in the world.
There are 5,352,596,401 people poorer than you.
How do you feel about that? A bit richer we hope. Please consider donating just a small amount to help some of the poorest people in the world. Many of their lives could be improved dramatically or even saved if you donate just one hour's salary (approx £5.55)

Oh, and in case you’re interested you are the 647,403,599 richest person in the world.

OK, glasgow how rich are you?

http://www.globalrichlist.com/
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't wanna be rich

Postby cataclyzm » Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:44 am

Hello,

Contrary to popular belief, money doesn't make you happy.

People are happier when their lives are simple and uncluttered, but you'll have a hard time convincing most people of this.

The lottery is only good if someone has the sense to use the money to open a state of the art animal sanctuary. Money does give certain power to help restore buildings, and important institutions, but most millionares are determined to hold onto their cash.

catclyzm.
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Big Man » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:16 am

Well I am not a rich man in the standars of this country.

Yes but far better off than most folks, Its funny why most of all our jobs are going to places like india cause the labour is cheap I think its shocking but its the free market.

Something has to give work will allways go to poorer countrys cause the standart of liveing is lower so the wages will be to.

But good luck to the folk in india they work hard for low money, big companys like BT should be ashamed of them selfs paying out pennys to hard working folks in india and selling out our nation that made them what they are.

All I can say is if you live in the UK dont think you job in that call center will last long.
[url=http://www.majesticforum.com/]
Image[/url]
The Big Man
Just settling in
Just settling in

call centre debacle horror

Postby cataclyzm » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:10 pm

Hi,

Yes, you could very well be right. I have to say that Call centre jobs are not the kind of employment that I believe enrich peoples lives. This is an industry propped up on selling people things that they have no need for, or giving ambiguous advice, at best.

Good luck to the people in India. If they are happy enough to do it, then fine. However; quite often these are the only jobs available to university graduates these days, and people emerging from school. It is hardly the kind of vocation that will inspire and enrich the human population. It is an industry based on illusion and double standards.

I believe most people in the Uk, would be happier working outdoors doing voluntary work, such as planting trees. At least then we wouldn't all be so disconnected from nature. It's ironic that India's population is so embracing technology and urban life, when so many people in the west are wanting to return to an agrarian and simpler life. Be careful of the urban dream of technological mainenance - it aint all its cracked up to be. I doubt there are many people who have ever been made happier and more complete human beings from working in one of these places. Unless they are obsessed by obtaining financial bonuses.

I think the great fascination with Glasgows' heritage often lies in the fact, that it is evidence of a time, when people created objects and works of real value, to go out into the world. People wanted to create, rather than merely earning money. They wanted to contribute to their communities. Sadly: very few of the communities, and none of the possibilities of creation now exist. However: it's worth noting that France has a thriving ship building industry, employing thousands, and are about to launch the Queen Mary II.

I'm sure the irony will not be lost on many of us.

All the best
Robert Kelly.
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mudoken » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:50 pm

" it aint all its cracked up to be. I doubt there are many people who have ever been made happier and more complete human beings from working in one of these places. Unless they are obsessed by obtaining financial bonuses"

working out in the nature can be very lonely

must strike a balance, i live out in the country and its soo quite an lonely but i have my "philips-sonicare toothbrush" and all is sorted

urben folk take for granted the ability to mingle, and so dived the world with its vast population into goodies and badies to cope

i've been so far from people that its like a nuclear war when i see someone,
Boo
Mudoken
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: How RICH are you?

Postby Cardno » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:05 pm

Sharon wrote:You are in the top 10.79% richest people in the world.
There are 5,352,596,401 people poorer than you.
How do you feel about that? A bit richer we hope. Please consider donating just a small amount to help some of the poorest people in the world. Many of their lives could be improved dramatically or even saved if you donate just one hour's salary (approx £5.55)
Oh, and in case you’re interested you are the 647,403,599 richest person in the world.
OK, glasgow how rich are you?
http://www.globalrichlist.com/

It's all fair and good the site going on about how little people in other countries live on. But living out in Indonesia (which is 3rd world) u come to realise that yes, by their standards and their prices we are like millionaires (and in the currency). However them living on say £1 a day isn't as bad as things seem. I kno a lot of people out their and many of them have moved from jungle villages for a new way of life and their ideals are different to ours. You can't put western ideas into 3rd world countries because the economy is diff, the people expect diff and because it isn't exactly what we see as right. Them looking at us is like us looking at millionaires, we wudn't complain if it was us but it's not and we get on with it. Am i making sense?
Cardno
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby enailer » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:04 pm

I worked with the VSO for 3 years in PNG and it made me the richest person in the world in my heart and in my head
Lookin out through a Whisky coloured haze
enailer
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Don't wanna be rich

Postby Roxburgh » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:18 pm

cataclyzm wrote:Contrary to popular belief, money doesn't make you happy.

True. But it does buy you a better quality of misery.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:41 pm

I'm higher than I'd expected
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:20 pm

This had the effect of making me feel smug and self satisfied. I don't think that was the original intention.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Dave » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:30 pm

Couldn't have put it better myself JohnR
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:22 pm

It's all too subjective. I'm better off than many globally and several locally, but I could make a better hash of having a huge stash than some I could name !

One way or another I know 3 or 4 millionaires. Nice guys, but that bit of knowledge taints the friendship.
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tombro » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:57 am

I'm alive, so I'm really rich !

Tombro :roll:
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby lord lucan » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:19 am

I sometimes find that money does not always help the poor, advice can be invaluable, for example if you are poor, have nothing, are facing a bleak,miserable future, its perhaps not the best time to have children. You would find a massive reduction in child poverty across the world if the poor would stop breeding.....dont thank me.
Still lucan for me
lord lucan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:02 pm

Why? Explain please.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions