Annoying Words

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Annoying Words

Postby duck » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:13 am

BrigitDoon wrote:I admire the French for their determination not to have* their language polluted by creeping Americanisation**.

)

Sorry Brigit. I have to agree with Dex. The loi Toubon of 1994 never really got anywhere ( supposed to, amongst other things, protect the French language) As Dex said, most people here in France are enjoying the well earned le weekend, and certainly not their vacancelle which Toubon proposed. Words like le courriel for email have never caugt on either.
Every day we are bombarded with English/American phrases, or corruptions thereof, which when said with a French accent sometimes bear no resemblance to the original. I remember one of the first meetings I had to go to when my boss said "David, could you pop next door and fetch le paper-board Flummoxed I had to plead ignorance. Turns out to be a flip-chart. Really upset my colleagues when I informed them of the real English word.
This week I had to go and see a client. "You really must see Sophie" she said. "Who is Sophie?" I asked. "She is le manager responsable for le reporting" she replied. "But I'm afraid this morning she's at le forecast meeting" Our meeting finished early so I thought I'd take the opportunity to go and faire le shopping. However, when I saw how full le parking was I thought better of it. Instead I thought I'd pop in to cadge a coffee from my friend who lives nearby. He's an I.T. fanatic. "" You have to see my new software" he greeted me, "it"s so must have" He explained it to me but I was lost and said so. "Oh, you PC has-beens" he retorted, "you are not nearly as clever as us mac-users."

Just some examples, I could go on and on. And all real, I promise!!!
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:23 am

Je vais jetter le wobbleur... :x
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:33 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:Je vais jetter le wobbleur... :x

in that case I won't support the use of split infinitives...
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:36 pm

Dot wrote:Another one they say is that they are going to speak till someone instead of to someone.

Interesting that; I'd bet it comes from the Scots settlers way back when, as 'till' is the equivalent of 'to' in the auld mither tongue. Mr Chambers' fine dictionary says it comes from Northumbrian Old English, which in turn got it from Old Norse. Older Dundonian relatives of mine wouldn't say "said to her," it'd be "says till her."
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:42 pm

Oh aye, speaking of Americanisms, anybody this side of the Atlantic who uses 'liberal' in that country's sense of the word should be slapped hard. Anybody who uses the phrase 'left-liberal' or similar should be kicked up the arse then banned from voting.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Josef » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:49 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:
Dot wrote:Another one they say is that they are going to speak till someone instead of to someone.

Interesting that; I'd bet it comes from the Scots settlers way back when, as 'till' is the equivalent of 'to' in the auld mither tongue. Mr Chambers' fine dictionary says it comes from Northumbrian Old English, which in turn got it from Old Norse. Older Dundonian relatives of mine wouldn't say "said to her," it'd be "says till her."

I have a mild interest in the almost complete eradication of Scots words from the Glaswegian vocabulary, and the disparagement of anyone who dares to use said words as a 'Teuchter', even if they were born and bred within fifteen miles of George Square.

I don't get out much these days: does this happen elsewhere in Scotland?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:25 am

In my admittedly fairly limited experience, I've never picked up on much disparagement in the places I know. The kind of full-on Scots of the generation or two above me seems to be on its way out though, as those generations go...

Glaswegian dialect doesn't strike me as having much older Scots content at all actually - a case in point being the (to me) astonishing total absence of 'ken', hardly an obscure word. Didn't know it was looked down on, but that would explain a lot.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby lordsleek » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:49 pm

LP ken was still in use in Glasgow in the 1900's, my Grandparents 1902 and 1903 both used it and they were both born here.
My grandfather also used shears for scissors and scaled for spilled, I never heard anyone else using them.
eeeeeewwwww whats that!
Can I touch it?
lordsleek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:24 pm

i sometimes say scaled, or tim as in tip it out - tim it down the sink
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:19 pm

David Camerom PM. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:23 am

Lucky Poet wrote:In my admittedly fairly limited experience, I've never picked up on much disparagement in the places I know. The kind of full-on Scots of the generation or two above me seems to be on its way out though, as those generations go...

Glaswegian dialect doesn't strike me as having much older Scots content at all actually - a case in point being the (to me) astonishing total absence of 'ken', hardly an obscure word. Didn't know it was looked down on, but that would explain a lot.

lordsleek wrote:LP ken was still in use in Glasgow in the 1900's, my Grandparents 1902 and 1903 both used it and they were both born here.
My grandfather also used shears for scissors and scaled for spilled, I never heard anyone else using them.

nuttytigger wrote:i sometimes say scaled, or tim as in tip it out - tim it down the sink

I remember my old Granda calling for things to be put "ben the loaby" when he wanted something moved into the hallway. Always loved that phrase.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:45 am

It wasn't till I moved over here (N I) that I realised my old granny was talking Irish/Ulster Scots ? when I grew up with her. eg words like "press" for cupboard and loads of others that I can't think of just now
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:47 am

The Grandparents used press too. Scullery for kitchen was also a firm favourite.

Bringing back memories is this.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:56 am

Granny used to use "scullery" for one of the rooms next to her kitchen. Can't remember which one though. I shall have to ask Mum later.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Knightmare » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:06 am

Its amazing the difference in phrases/expressions even in the short journey along the M8 to west lothian. I remeber asking for a slice of toast at work and there was an "Outsider" (the fat peice of bread at each end of the pre-cut loaf) sitting in the tray. The girl looked at me as if i'd just landed on this planet.

West Lothian call an "Outsider" something else but the trouble is i cant remember what it was she said. Any help welcome or if anyone else calls the "Outsider" something else, i'd be glad to know. :D
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions