Galston

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Galston

Postby Dave » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:48 pm

Aye it's a proper little shit hole, run down by the landlords all to greedy to do anything than try and profit from it's demise.

Sounds like a wee city not too far away ;)

Please feel free to post you opinions of Galston, I for one cannot take offence as Galston is only stated as my Location

Basically, grow up and get over it
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Galston

Postby gap74 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:54 am

Been there once when I took the top pic in this page here:

http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/scotland/galston.html

Don't remember it being any better or worse than any other wee place in the west of Scotland (indeed, perhaps the entire central belt) , plagued as most of them are with post-industrial decline and the usual socio-economic gumph that one associates with early 21st-century Britain.

I'm sure the place will find its feet eventually if it's all that bad, I've seen some heartening results from long, slow efforts at regeneration elsewhere. Sadly, none of them have yet reached my corner of Cambuslang yet, which is still a bleak and hopeless place, no matter how much money South Lanarkshire spend trying to tart it up cosmetically whilst ignoring underlying problems...

Grim view, maybe, but just the kind of mood I'm in tonight.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:10 pm

Cheers

Here's what yer cinema looks like today

The perosn who was developing this hasn't had anyone on site for the best part of a year now, place is an absolute mess. Fairly typical of the developments throughout the valley town
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:20 pm

Amusingly, we tried to get access to record the interior of the place before it was demolished, as the 1912 opening date made it one of the earliest custom-built cinemas in Scotland - although we suspected it had been mangled inside several times.

The council and architects gave us the number of the owner, but he was amusingly gruff and told us to piss off!

Oh well, you win some, you lose some....
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Excalibur » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Loudon Castle park is extremely underrated.
Excalibur
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dave » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:51 pm

Excalibur wrote:Loudon Castle park is extremely underrated.

It isn't Alton Towers but it is a good wee day out. Added bonus is that it's only 15-20 minutes drive from Glasgow on a good day. If there is any danger you may visit the park more than once in a season then a family ticket is advised.

Check the >>webiste<< for further info

I live up the other side of the valley so the sound passes straight over Galston and we can hear the rollercoasters going screams and all. Great stuff
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:33 am

Used to ride through Gall Stone on my bike approaching from the Sornhill road. The road took me down some kind of main street and over a river, then up past Loudon Academy towards Moscow. Can't say I noticed much else. Give us some amazing facts about Galston then... :D
Last edited by Blueboy on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:56 am

Sorn Road today, taken from Sornhill

www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:51 am

Blueboy wrote:Can't say I noticed much else. Give us some amazing facts about Galston then... :D

Cessnock, NSW, Aus is names after Cessnock in Ayrshire (which is in/just outside of Galston)

The Auld Yews at Loudoun are said to have had the treaty of the union discussed under them

Sir Hugh Crawford of Loudoun was William Wallace grandfather.

Hampden Park, Scotlands national stadium was returfed from the rough grass at the roadside of the Loudoun Gowf Club in the 20's .

Something for the colloquial and nothing to do with Galston other than the word Gowf
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:25 pm

Galston used to be on my training ride when I lived in Stra'ven. Most of the towns I would've gone through (Stra'ven included) were getting quite run down (this'd be the early 80's). Our usual run took us through Darvel down to Galston and then "round the Sorn" as the run which was a regular chain gang for a few not so hard men was known.

I don't remember much about Sorn itself other than the roads around there were STEEP. We went over to Muirkirk and then on home.

Now if you think Galston's bad...Muirkirk! Jings!
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby peter » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:46 pm

Used to go to college with three guys from Goston as they called it. They were Patternmakers from Glenfield and Kennedy and iron foundry. A very odd bunch indeed. They said they drank in Sunny Jims or was it Cosy Jims.
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:15 pm

Cyclo2000 wrote:............

Now if you think Galston's bad...Muirkirk! Jings!

Try Annbank.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annbank
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Random Distractions