Holiday Help needed

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Holiday Help needed

Postby My Kitten » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:33 am

Im off to Paris next week for a couple of days and need some help with cheap but enjoyable things to do. Can anyone help?

The catacombs are out as they are closed until March :(

Im staying near to Pere Lachaise so thats marked in already for some photography.

All suggestions welcome!

Fank u!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Holiday Help needed

Postby John » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:07 am

If money is an issue just stay in your hotel drinking wine and making sweet love. :)
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby My Kitten » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:25 am

JohnR wrote:If money is an issue just stay in your hotel drinking wine and making sweet love. :)

well there is that to do too!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:32 am

can you take some shots of the outdoor urinals?
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby My Kitten » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:34 am

Fossil wrote:can you take some shots of the outdoor urinals?

with or without action shots?
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby engineer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:23 pm

eiffel tower can take a long time to ascend, i went at a quiet time and was more than an hour to get to the top. it is pretty spectacular, but montparnasse tower is a good alternative. hardly any wait and cheaper, you get a good view from 56 storeys up on the roof. but dont buy anything in the coffee shop, they are robbin bastarts!

the batobus is a better way of cruising the seine, as you can hop on and off as you like all day. think its only a few extra euros to extend your pass for another day, too.

musee d'orsay is great, and quiter than the louvre. i went when it was free, first sunday of everymonth so not sure how much it is, but you do get some kind of deal on entry to another museum.

mobilis card gets you a day pass (or 3 or 5?) for the metro, but i think they are only available at the machines in main train stations, i didnt see them in the mchines in the normal metro stations

ascend sacre coeur for great views of the city, and its pretty cheap.by paris standards anyway. a real bastard to climb though!

La defence disrtict is pretty cool at night for pictures
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:27 pm

Ta muchly, thats what im looking for :) The real side rather than the robbing side!

oh joy for a weekend of ham and cheese or cheese and ham baguettes!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:36 pm

Avoid the Bois de Boulogne after dark.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:05 pm

There is a museum of flight at Le Bourget which has some interesting stuff including Concorde.

Open daily from 10-5 (except Mondays)

http://www.mae.org
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:06 pm

Avoid drinking in bars as it can cost as much for a pint as it does for a meal in other places. Check when happy hours are, and go then. Ideally then go onto a nearby one that has a later happy hour...

Go for the 'prix fixee' or 'menu touristique' and you can eat out quite well of an evening without spending 'de trop' Ask for a "carafe d'eau" for tap water rather than expensive bottled.

Cheap things during the day? Book sellers along the seine by Notre Dame, entry to the Pompidou is free unless you go to an exhibition. A coffee in a cafe gives you the right to sit there as long as you want, so sit and people watch/ read a book/ map/ chat/ flirt as long as you like. The French could do this as an olympic sport. (although sniffy tourist spots may differ...)

There are many fantastic parks, all well worth a visit. although I suspect the weather will not be in your favour. If it is tipping down, there are plenty of funky little cinemas around the left bank, often with some interesting things on. Pick up 'pariscope' or l'officiel des spectacles' for a pocket sized listings thing. Both IIRC have English sections.

On the 'not cheap but worth it', a friend of mine was over during new year and went to the Moulin Rouge. Says it was amazing, cost about 90 E to get in. Price includes a bottle of champagne. :P Dress smartly, let them see you've made an effort and you'll get a better seat than the coach parties of American tourists. Best to book tickets online ahead apparently.

(I lived in Paris and never bothered, thought it was a bit of a tourist trap but kind of wish I'd gone...)

If underground is yr thing, a section of les egouts de paris are open to visitors. You get used to the smell quite quickly apparently...

Remember that the French invented the concept of the flaneur . I think you can do that :wink:
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Luco » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:33 pm

My Kitten wrote:
The catacombs are out as they are closed until March :(

I

Ah the Catacombs, would love to visit next time I'm there!
Luco
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:55 pm

Thanks again!

Oh sewers now that would be good!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duck » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:04 pm

The church of St Sulpice ( métro Odéon ) I think is THE most beautiful - beats Notre Dame anyday.

Don't forget - never ask for "une bière" -you'll get a hugely marked-up bottle of beer. Always ask for "une pression".

If you get caught short , bars cannot refuse to let you use their lavs. You don't have to buy a drink!!
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby TA_Ealing » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:15 pm

as engineer says, recommend a trip to La Defence - very impressive up there.

http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings ... Arche.html
TA_Ealing
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby elgee » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:43 pm

MK, just go and enjoy yerself and tae hell wi poverty !!!!
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions