Quick Hide The Telly!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Media (except radio) studies self made man

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:50 pm

Personally, I've little interest in Radio. It's a left-over from before I was born (which was a very long time ago) that goes on in the car mainly to keep abreast of traffic conditions. Yes; there is the odd gem, but Radio One seems to be mainly half-wits wittering on about their toilet habits, Radio Two is as bland as ever and sems still to broadcast programmes from 1952, Radio Three reminds me of the teacher in "Charlie Brown" as for 4, 5 (and if there's a six and seven) ..... So what? Talk Sport is just another way of saying 'talk bollocks' to my way of thinking...

Well there's a well researched documentary in the making. It really sets out the standards followed by the independent sector. One of your interns could have possibly ran out and got you some references for the above points. I take it someone else marks the assignments you hand out. Another intern per chance.

From the above evidence you are tuned to real radio, you like Scottie McCue and it's a taxi you drive. Your other car maybe a porsche or you have a sticker saying you do. That sticker of course placed on the boot below the hand painted in gold script "Darren, Jason, Traceee and Jemyma"
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Media (except radio) studies self made man

Postby Matt Quinn » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:21 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Personally, I've little interest in Radio. It's a left-over from before I was born (which was a very long time ago) that goes on in the car mainly to keep abreast of traffic conditions. Yes; there is the odd gem, but Radio One seems to be mainly half-wits wittering on about their toilet habits, Radio Two is as bland as ever and sems still to broadcast programmes from 1952, Radio Three reminds me of the teacher in "Charlie Brown" as for 4, 5 (and if there's a six and seven) ..... So what? Talk Sport is just another way of saying 'talk bollocks' to my way of thinking...

Well there's a well researched documentary in the making. It really sets out the standards followed by the independent sector. One of your interns could have possibly ran out and got you some references for the above points. I take it someone else marks the assignments you hand out. Another intern per chance.

From the above evidence you are tuned to real radio, you like Scottie McCue and it's a taxi you drive. Your other car maybe a porsche or you have a sticker saying you do. That sticker of course placed on the boot below the hand painted in gold script "Darren, Jason, Traceee and Jemyma"

Dexter, I don't know who the hell you are, or rather who the hell you imagine you are; and from the "evidence" of your own posts clearly your position in life is (apparently) largely illusory. But my identity is clearly stated; I don't hide behind a 'handle'. My background is also easily researched and verified. Why don't you look my business up at Companies House? Or call Stow college to verify my position? Or perhaps even the DVLA... TIB 4018; the registration number of my Porsche; we have at least one cop on the forum I believe who could verify who that car belongs to?

My other car's actually a Land Rover....

No, as it happens, I don't drive a taxi. Never have, never had to probably never will. But so what if I did? Clearly from the lofty ivory-clad "St Clair" tower you're getting a bit concerned about the foundations and (rather like a chimp in a tree) have resorted to desperately throwing whatever comes to hand at whoever happens to be passing.

Your contempt for people who work hard at making the everyday things happen speaks volumes about you and your own abilities and indeed your own morals. First I was a corduroy (with leather patches) jacketed relic in the engineering department of a (mere?) technical college. Now I'm a taxi driver with (in your view at least) poor taste in vehicle decoration and unfortunately named children....

Apparently few of us could reach the superior standards of the sainted St Clair.... ::): So far we can rule out everyone who occupies the social strata between the Taxi Driver and the highly qualified graduate engineer...

Of course our black-cab-clad friend is at least doing something useful to society and no doubt goes home at night to his warm comfortable house a loving wife and children who bring him immense joy. He's no doubt looking forward to a joyful family Christmas. And a lucrative new year during which he will both provide for his family and provide the people he serves with a valuable, nay essential, service....

So what useful (in terms of contributing to society) thing have you done today?

As far as I'm aware we've never met. Yet TWICE now you've sought to make defamatory (in intent at least) statement about me personally and my work. So, Dexter, what have YOU achieved in life that places you so far above the rest of us? How many jobs have you created? Who did you provide with food today? Who did you help reach an appointment? What street did you help keep clean? How much filing did you do? Who did you cure? Who did you bury? If I type "directed by dexter st clair" into yahoo what do I get?

I'm NOT making a documentary about radio. It doesn't interest me in the slightest. Nor does football, knitting, walrus hunting, or bell ringing. And that fact I'm disinterested in one subject over another says precisely nothing about either the quality of my work or that if the independent sector generally. Your comment is therefore completely vacuous as well as off-topic!

Oh! One final point. I've ALREADY told you quite clearly that DO NOT teach "media studies". Is it that you simply prefer to twist what I say or that this fact is beyond the wit of the mighty St Clair? Dishonest or just plain lacking in intellect? Or perhaps so entrenched in ignorance that you don't appreciate the difference between media studies and media production?
Matt Quinn

Re: Quick Hide The Telly!

Postby tedmaul » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:02 am

Matt Quinn wrote:[ If I type "directed by dexter st clair" into yahoo what do I get?

I got this -

Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:53 pm

http://www.scottishbroadcastingcommission.gov.uk/

The Scottish Broadcasting Commission has been established to conduct an independent investigation into the current state of television production and broadcasting in Scotland and define a strategic way forward for the industry.

BROADCASTING REVIEW SEEKS YOUR VIEWS

The Scottish Broadcasting Commission has asked people to come forward with their views on broadcasting.

The Commission is currently looking at those factors which have an influence on the economic potential of broadcasting in Scotland and is seeking evidence of people's experiences, knowledge and views on this.

The website provides a 24/7, one-stop point of information on the Commission and its work as its investigation progresses, and a feedback section which seeks views on the issues being considered. Those interested in keeping up to date with the latest developments will be able to sign up for updates which will notify them of newly-posted news items, documents and events.

The programme of oral evidence-taking sessions with key broadcasters and interested parties has already begun, with Channel 4 the first to give evidence.

For more information and to submit your views, please visit http://www.scottishbroadcastingcommission.gov.uk.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:49 am

This sounds simply like protectionism for people who have failed to convince the UK market of their worth.

Little wonder that someone like Elaine C Smith - who can't even get arrested nowadays - is a cheerleader for this nonsense. I'm sure she's not expecting any work out of it. :roll: What is exceptionally annoying is that this drive to lower standards, shut ourselves off and provide guaranteed commissions for the talentless and unemployable is being presented as a broadening of Scottish horizons and culture. :evil:
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:13 pm

The Scottish Cringe would make for a good documentary. Particularly its misogynistic side where we slap down Lulu, Sheena and now Elaine C Smith.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:27 pm

I'd like to see more tits on STV
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby tobester » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:30 pm

Fossil wrote:I'd like to see more tits on STV

Watch Scotsport on a monday nite.

I like Rock Radio as it plays decent rock music (my type of sounds)
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:33 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:The Scottish Cringe would make for a good documentary. Particularly its misogynistic side where we slap down Lulu, Sheena and now Elaine C Smith.

Instead of, as we should be doing, building statues of them in George Square. National treasures, they are.
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:10 am

Screen and not heard

IT SOUNDS like the worst kind of joke. There are these two blokes arguing in a pub. One man, his face growing redder and redder, insists that the proliferation of television screens is destroying the traditional Scottish bar by killing the art of conversation. The other - in the person of Ian Rankin, the Edinburgh crime writer who plots his novels through a glass, darkly - says mildly that his companion is spouting much hot air.

To help advance his view, Rankin has theorised that his companion is possibly a little paranoid. Perhaps, Rankin suggests with a snigger, whenever his red-faced friend walks into a bar, someone switches on a telly just to annoy him: "Or maybe you're just a jinx."

Maybe. But I am that red-faced man and a graduate of the hard-drinking school of journalism. Years of observation and a heavy use of alcohol have convinced me that pubs - to be specific, traditional one-room Scottish bars - are spiralling into decline.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:08 pm

City shamed in list of telly fee dodgers

GLASGOW is one of the worst cities in the UK for TV licence dodgers.

Last year 21,715 licence evaders were caught in Glasgow - three times more than in Edinburgh.

London topped the league of shame, with 35,191 dodgers, while Birmingham came third with 10,417, followed by Manchester and Liverpool.

TV Licensing said more than 413,000 people were caught in the UK last year - 20,000 more than in 2006.

Licence dodgers risk prosecution and a fine of up to £1000.

TV Licensing said the rise was due to the increasing effectiveness of its detection measures.

Its database of 29million UK addresses allows it to see which properties are unlicensed.

Hand-held detectors are also being used.

A spokeswoman said: "The licence dodgers' league of shame is one table no town wants to top.

"The high number of dodgers caught this year is evidence of our success in enforcing the licence fee on behalf of the honest majority who pay."

Licensing chiefs triggered an angry backlash eight years ago when they launched a "name and shame" billboard advertising campaign.

This identified the number of households in individual streets that had not paid the fee.

Publication date 01/02/08
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:52 pm

The Herald

HD (High-Definition) Freeview channels by 2009

Three free high-definition (HD) TV channels are to be launched by the end of next year, it was announced today.
The channels - to be joined by a fourth by 2012 - will air on the digital terrestrial (Freeview) service which is in 15 million homes and expected to grow.
The BBC will get one of the channels and the other three will be awarded to commercial public service broadcasters such as ITV, Channel 4, Five and S4C following a bidding process.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:45 pm

i am now of the many that pay for the telly license. why???? its mince :).

although my mum still thinks the license should be per telly and not per household :)

if this were the case then i'd fling oot ma telly and use the net :D:D
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:Changing channels

Postby Mori » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:29 pm

Changing channels

It may be necessary to consider redrawing the map for Scotland, and in the longer term having a single Scotland Channel 3 licence

IN CAREFULLY coordinated announcements in five cities, the leader appeared on a screen before us to warn of "profound implications for the nations and regions of the UK". It was as if a state of emergency had been declared.

Research has revealed what sort of PSB the public wants to watch (the review also includes radio, but the focus is television) and how the TV companies will – or will be unable to – finance these programmes. Local news and cultural programmes always appear high on the list, though questioned as to what is and is not defined as public service broadcasting presents even Ofcom with a challenge.

Restricting PSB to the BBC and C4 (model 3) would mean advertising contracts to allow new national and perhaps local entrants to emerge in Scotland. Other commercial PSBs – STV and Border – would lose their PSB obligations but be eligible to compete for additional funds.

Continues @ the Scotsman
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:37 pm

GLASGOW is one of the worst cities in the UK for TV licence dodgers.

possibly because thier policy is to target poorer areas where most people cant actually afford licence but are more likely to watch.

i had trouble with them few years ago one invited himself in, by barging past me to check i didnt have TV. I grabbed him by scruff of neck & threw him out & he fell down stairs.... ooops. I then got treated to visit by police who checked i didnt have TV and to mention he wanted to charge me with assault. I also mention i'd like him charged with breaking & entering much to his amazment, cop had few words and not been bothered for few tears now i just get odd letter.
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions