Quick Hide The Telly!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Quick Hide The Telly!

Postby Vinegar Tom » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:59 pm

I have probably said this before but thank goodness for digital television.

Newsnight is bad enough , but at least with digital I can avoid wee diddy Newsnight Scotland and see proper Newsnight.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:04 pm

JohnR wrote:....because all the interesting people are playing guitars and taking photographs.... :)

Ok, I'm done ::):
Vinegar Tom wrote:Newsnight is bad enough , but at least with digital I can avoid wee diddy Newsnight Scotland and see proper Newsnight.

I did feel slightly envious of Cousin England when I saw the clips of Paxo's ultra-sarcastic weather forecasts.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby krakow » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:59 pm

So, it's started again. My sister lived with me last year and had a TV and a license. She's now moved out and the license has expired and not been renewed, because there's no longer a telly in the flat.

Apparently I'm now officially under investigation and should expect a visit from the enforcement officers. Bring it on.
Crimson Glow Photography: http://www.crimsonglow.co.uk/
krakow
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:31 am

My local fishmonger was showing me a letter from them, addressed to the premises, demanding that he affirm in writing that he didn't have a pc, tv, dvd, etc in the shop.

What really pissed him off was that the enclosed envelope had no stamp. :D
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:58 pm

Josef wrote:What really pissed him off was that the enclosed envelope had no stamp. :D

::):
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby krakow » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:20 pm

So, the TV licensing folks apparently called round earlier this evening, while I was still out at work, as there was a note left through the door saying "We said we'd call"... as polite as ever. It threatens that they'll be back soon to check on my suspiciously unlicensed premises.

Do I have to let them in, or can I refuse entry and demand a warrant or something? I don't have a TV and could safely let them wander about and satisfy themselves of this fact, but I've always been mightily annoyed by their letters and whole attitude, so don't like the idea of making things at all easy for them.
krakow
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scottland » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:34 pm

They came to my door, I wouldnt let them in , they said they could get a warrant . I said go ahead , make a complete arse of yourselves I will phone the local police station and let them know your coming.Goodbye.

That was ages ago I havent heard a word since not even a nice threatening and intimidating (for some) letter.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby krakow » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:43 pm

Aye, they've pissed me off no end over the years, so I think I'll try for whatever petty fun I can muster from the experience.
krakow
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:22 am

They can only enter your house if you allow it or they get a warrant and they'll only get a warrant if they can satisfy the magistrate there are reasonable grounds to suspect you have a television for use on the premises.

So if they haven't seen or heard a telly I would think a warrant would never be issued, unless they lied.
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bing Buzby » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:24 am

Not sure what there is to get annoyed about with the TV Licencing letters.

The tone of the letters is officious for a reason; The TV licencing authority have been charged with a statutory duty to collect revenue. (Whether you agree with the licence fee or not) Most homes in the UK have a TV. If a householder does not have a licence there is a high probability they are still watching a TV. Those who do not have/watch TV are a smaller group than those who dodge paying.

The tone of the letters does imply guilt, but the enforcement follows standard presumption of innocence. If you are upset by the tone of the letters, they are very easy to stop.

If you do not own or watch a TV you can either phone or write to TV Licencing and they can remove you from their standard mailing list.

I have not had a telly for years, and every time I move home, I inform TV Licencing and the letters stop pretty quickly. Piece of cake.
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby krakow » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:07 am

That's just far too sensible. One needs something to get worked up about in life, it adds to the fun.
krakow
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scottland » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:54 pm

I dont acknowledge these people? at all,Revenue Management Ltd. it is disgusting.

Richard Branson pays the same TV license as the Old Age Pensioner.I am eager to hear from anyone who wants to justify that.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bing Buzby » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:28 pm

1. Not all pensioners are poor.
2. Many pensioners watch a lot of TV.
3. I suspect Richard Branson spends most of his day running a business empire/flying balloons etc, not watching game shows and tutting at the 6 o' clock news.

Net result: Most pensioners pay less per hour of TV watched than international business moguls.

If you object to the privatisation of government services or the method used to set the licence fee, fair enough. Make your thoughts known to your elected representative. Join or start a pressure group or take advantage of any of your democratic alternatives to remedy the situation. I am sure Help The Aged would be delighted for your support.
While you are at it, will you be pressing Sky for a pensioner discount?

However unilaterally deciding to use something without paying the owner/provider for it, is theft.

In my experience most people dodging their licence fee is them being tight fisted and hoping to get something for nothing rather than being socially or democratic motivated.
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scottland » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:01 pm

So you are saying that tv license should be on a pay per view basis,how much you pay is based on how much you view.Elderly disabled or housebound should pay the most?, or folks whos lives are so downtrodden and meaningless that the only escape they get is the telly.

yours faithfully

The Enforcement Division.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:07 pm

Richard Branson is a pensioner forced top work on past his retiral. As he runs a Brodcasting company I'm sure he'll charge it to expenses.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions