Return of the "Boredom Thread"; What's yer homepage?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby kn0wledge » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:07 pm

I thought the last thing the folk in here would have done was go anywhere near G**gl* with all the spyware and sniffing it is reputed to assault any users with.
Those rumours are wholly untrue.

kn0wledge, I spent a while with Opera, tabs are great, but the adverts got irritating.
Not for me. It's the only piece of software I ever thought worthy of actually paying for. Even so, you can find a serial number for it online in less than ten seconds.

Far better option now is Firefox from Mozilla. Does all that Opera promised, faster and lighter, and without the adverts. Also for me, handled fonts and graphics without the roughness that Opera seemed to suffer from.
Opera comes with all the features that Mozilla does, out of the box. That is, no need to spend time installing hundreds of fuckass extensions. One thing I hate about Opera is the email client, though. It's so clunky and nasty, much unlike (in my opinion) the rest of the browser. For email I use Mozilla Thunderbird when on Windows.

As for speed issues, I constantly have >30 Opera tabs open and I find the application uses around 12MBs of RAM as opposed to the 40 or more that Mozilla uses (I tested them out quite thoroughly on different platforms) although I will concede that Firebird uses far less RAM when in a Linux/UNIX environment.

That being said, I am an Opera zealot through and through, and unless Firebird changes a lot I will stick with the big red 'O' ;>
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:03 pm

PlasticDel, my guess would be that MSN has written entries into your registry so it always get loaded into IE at atartup, regardless of what you try and change in IE options (use Firefox :wink: ) . I got fed up with this carry on, always think there's a touch of arrogance on any prgrammer that writes sofware that remove your choice and writes there's in its place silently. Luckily came across a little prog called Registry Protecter and it intercepts every instance when a piece of software tries to write something into your registry and gives you the option to accept or reject it. Particularly good for stopping trojan's hidden in web sites.

I still believe the rumors about G**gl*, based on their own info about what they do with info farmed from users, and they way my popup blocker and spyware detector jump into life it I let myself get shoved into G**gl*. Heck, I enjoy being paranoid ::):
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:03 pm

When removing MS Messenger do it from the 'add remove components' section of the programs control panel.

Otherwise you will just be un-installing the updates and leaving behind the original POS software.

I agree with Apollo here - use FireFox and if poss use Yahoo! messenger which knocks the MS messenger into a cocked hat in terms of functionality, interface etc etc.

:-)

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:29 pm

I just have a nice blank page every time that I fire up the old web browser, although almost immediately HG is opened in a new tab and stays open most of the day.

Love tabbed browsing :) Use Safari which is Apple's own browser for Mac OS X, it's quite similar to the Mozilla stuff.
Last edited by purplegrum on Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:36 pm

i still have my about:blank.

on internet explorer ans outlook express, tip2tail uses mozilla firefox and thunderbird, but i hate them :)
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotia47 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:02 am

Um... I still have MSN.co.uk as my homepage :oops:

*slinks away*
scotia47
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:40 am

scotia47 wrote:Um... I still have MSN.co.uk as my homepage :oops:

*slinks away*

Shame on you, get it sorted!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mrlipring » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:39 am

I have a blank page when my browser opens. Boring, eh?
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DVF » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:46 pm

Well done KnOledge, I totally agree. Opera rules. I've been using it for years but somehow never thought of getting a serial for it. Matbe I felt guilty or something, with it being so good. Now, since reading your post just a couple of minutes ago I'm all sorted. Although the ads on the new 7.52 version are small and unobtrusive, and when set to go by your google searches they can be quite useful.

Just noticed something else. Is that why you have a big O in your name KnOledge?

Oh, my homepage. Ebay I'm afraid, I'm such a splattercash.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby lonewooolf » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:19 pm

Being a bit of a film buff as you may have guessed from my comments/quotes on UER.ca, my fav page used to be DVDBoxoffice.com then when Play.com opened up, I changed it to Play as I used to buy all the recent new and old DVD's, and I liked to kep an eye on it.
And for a while it was http://www.psychics-cafe.com
However now it just plain Google.
Follow The White Rabbit
Keep An Open Mind
lonewooolf
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby kn0wledge » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:45 pm

DVF wrote:Well done KnOledge, I totally agree. Opera rules. I've been using it for years but somehow never thought of getting a serial for it. Matbe I felt guilty or something, with it being so good. Now, since reading your post just a couple of minutes ago I'm all sorted. Although the ads on the new 7.52 version are small and unobtrusive, and when set to go by your google searches they can be quite useful.

Just noticed something else. Is that why you have a big O in your name KnOledge?

http://www.serialz.to will find you a serial for Opera in about two seconds. And it's a zero in my name and not an O. It's been my 'net name', so to speak, for many years. The 0 is just there for geek factor :>
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fake Plastic Steve » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:12 am

[CHEAP PLUG]
http://www.wits.rocks.it
[/CHEAP PLUG]

it is my homepage though....cos i got sick of the annoying aol one
"Im away....If i dont come back..avenge my death!"
Fake Plastic Steve
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Return of the "Boredom Thread"; What's yer homepage?

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:58 am

Help!

I used IE8 as my browser and need some help in changing settings.

I have the usual left side of 'Favorites' etc and then there is the bar where the website address would go in. To the right is a small area where you can type in to search the internet. On my Pc this is Google, but on this laptop it is Bing. I don't like Bing and I've tried to change this many times, by adding additional search engines, etc. I cannot get the damn thing to go - not usually beaten with this type of problem but totally lost with this.

Anybody give me some idiot friendly advice how to change this?
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:17 pm

Possible you've got a bing toolbar you need to uninstall or deactivate? Would imagine that would be either via control panel or through your browser options. Or perhaps if you just install the google toolbar it might automatically replace the bing one. If that is indeed the issue :-)
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Or .. homepage set to Bing. Or search URL has a wee widget like Firefox that allows you to select which engine to use as default.

I 'unno .. I never go near IE unless I really have to.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions