Binge Drinking

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Binge Drinking

Postby John » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:24 pm

I could murder a pint of Budvar.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby draugelis » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:07 pm

onyirtodd wrote:There's a lot of political posturing about Diageo.

To imagine Scottish Enterprise will find a business case where Diageo couldn't is fantasy UNLESS a whole bunch of public money is injected. At some point somebody is going to have to do a cost/ benefit analysis and either pay up or not. The sooner that's done the sooner the workers will learn their fate, one way or the other.

Looks like I messed up the quotation in my previous post! :oops:

Onnyway, I didn't see anything in that post which suggested we just ask Diageo how much they wanted to keep the jobs in East Ayrshire! Sorry!

As well as doing my bit for binge drinking tonight, I think I'm finished on this issue lest our posts disappear in a similar vein to the "Edinburgh" thread ::):

And I've murdered a few Becks.. and a couple of wee Courvoisiers!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Tom Waits
draugelis
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:50 pm

ET

Chaos as new drink laws come into force

THOUSANDS of pubs, clubs, off sales and even supermarkets will be operating illegally from tomorrow amid turmoil over a licensing overhaul.
New figures on the eve of Scotland's first major change to licensing in 30 years show many establishments are caught in the administrative meltdown over the required consents.
The chairman of Glasgow's licensing board says the trade could be "on the brink of closing down".
Eight years since the idea to tackle Scotland's drinking culture with legislation got off the ground, and 18 months since the transition into the new Act began, local authorities are struggling to process the paperwork required for tomorrow to sell liquor legally.
There have also been claims that the new Licensing (Scotland) Act is forcing the closure of four pubs a week and that one fifth of venues, mainly in rural Scotland, have already shut.

Image Image
Pubs could continue serving without proper licensing if police adopt a 'softly, softly' approach to the new regulations because of delays in processing premises' applications
In Glasgow, 1200 premises have still to nominate manager
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:11 pm

Usual ET cracking journalism.

The neds will still go out and get pissed
We will still have a binge drinking culture ( been here since before the vikings and is in-bred into the Vodka Belt)
Pubs will still operate

What needs to be done is education. Alcohol shouldn't be demonised - and it shouldn't be iconicised either. A wee sip at home, a nice glass of wine with a meal - it's turned into some sort of holy grail in the UK, "Im grown up I sit out at the chippy drinking buckie". More needs to be done as to why people feel the need to carry weapons, why establishments continue to serve drunk people (well we know that ker ching!), and proper measures to deal with the after effects - if the police pick you up and you are drunk and you need to be stuck in a cell, you should be made to pay the cost of this.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:28 pm

Hear, hear.

Absolutely spot on. Massively increase the fine for D & D (or any section 5 type offence with drink as an instigating factor) and a lot of borderline cases would stop before they got too far gone to realise what they were doing.

There will always be a hardcore drinker element that would go out, get pissed and create a stushie on a Friday even if the punishment was 50 lashes or the like but for Joe Bloggs a fine of a months wages for picking a fight with Plod just because he was drunk would be very much a sobering influence I feel.

As for stopping pubs from serving people when they are already clearly the worse for wear .. never happen! It's always been illegal to sell alcohol to a patron who is clearly under the influence but I've yet, in twenty years, to work in an establishment that enforces this by-law before it's well past too late.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:53 pm

Doorstop wrote:Hear, hear.
As for stopping pubs from serving people when they are already clearly the worse for wear .. never happen! It's always been illegal to sell alcohol to a patron who is clearly under the influence but I've yet, in twenty years, to work in an establishment that enforces this by-law before it's well past too late.

We left the Horshoe the other week, Saturday 6.00 pm, because they continued to serve a customer who was clearly drunk when he arrived.
These days the city centre on Saturday night looks like the 'nightmare' scene in "It's a Wonderful Life" , full of drunk, aggressive people - mostly young too, I'm sorry to say. Walking down Hope St at 10.45 -ish last Saturday, we noticed a young couple in a lane to our right: he was relieving himself while she stood there blethering away!
Am I just getting old?

Le durachd,
Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:01 pm

Yes Eddy you are getting old as that was pretty mild for the city at weekends. I`ve done a few nightshifts there and believe me its a real eye opener 8O
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:05 pm

scaryman2u wrote:Yes Eddy you are getting old as that was pretty mild for the city at weekends.

Thanks for being tactful about it.

Le durachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby wee minxy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:34 pm

Does that mean you don't wanna hear the details dimairt....I do :P , this could be an even more interesting.
thread :D
Apart from seeing a few guys peeing in the lanes and people being sick..i've not seen much, except for the local prostitutes hanging about here and there. I'd like to state at no time was I pished. :wink:
wee minxy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:21 pm

Yeah establishments not serving drunkards will never happen, but its a nice thought :)

I avoid the town unless it's an HG drinks night or make dinner bookings early and grab a taxi and head homewards to a local hostelry, too many idiots about intent on shouting/peeing/generally being annoying. It's bad enough in town during the day never mind night time.

I'm getting too old too, I like sitting in the old man pubs now or in poncy places wheres it's too dear for the idiots to get into.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:25 pm

dimairt wrote:............................Walking down Hope St at 10.45 -ish last Saturday, we noticed a young couple in a lane to our right: he was relieving himself while she stood there blethering away!
Am I just getting old?

Le durachd,
Eddy

::): aye.
have you never had a pish in front of your wife/girlfriend/partner/boyfriend?

You must turn your light out quite a bit when shagging?

Le duracell,
Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby dimairt » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:46 pm

Fossil wrote:
Le duracell,
Fossil

Very good Fossil. Sorry, don't know how to add those Smilies. ::): ::): ::): Now I do.

Le durachd,
Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:06 pm

the serving alcohol to drunks rule also applies to off licenses but you will never see it enforced.saying that though i do feel concerned for the staff who have to work in some of these places often alone or with only one other member of staff.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:37 pm

BBC

Alcohol pricing could save £950m

The Scottish government hopes to tackle problems caused by excess alcohol
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:00 pm

deffo education is the way. As a youth worker (not the hippy hat type who deals with nice wee duke of edinburgh award scheme lot!!) who deals with hardened drinkers at 13+. It never ceases to surprises me how many of these neds, actually do change their drinking habits, after a good debate, on their terms and in their area, as simple as having a gab while they are meeting somewhere. so try and provide an alternative. If your not to preachy about it, they do tend to listen with the usual wisecracks and insults thrown in. You would be surprised how many will not take a bottle of bucky for the night if they know we have organised a game of footy or something. its not a complete answer, not claiming it is, but even if it stops some violence,trouble or someone else getting grief for the night its a result.

On the other side ive had the local community coppers flying in while we are trying to do something positive with them, and ruin six weeks of work in ten minutes. Partnership working eh!!

just my tuppenceworth

dicky
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions