home recording set up

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

home recording set up

Postby mr moto » Tue May 15, 2007 11:46 pm

a question for all you musical gearheads . i am looking for some way of recording my guitar playing both acoustic and electric , i think a four track is enough. what i want to be able to do is ,for instance, record a backing track and then record myself playing over the backing track ,also i would like to be able to edit what i have recorded and maybe burn my own cd,s throught my desktop pc. i am not looking for a pro or studio set up , it,s just for my own interest . thank,s
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed May 16, 2007 7:17 am

I think Audacity FREE software can let you record several channels which then could be mixed down to one. I do believe you can listen and play along to any of the chAnnels. You'll need a mic or pick up for the accoustics,. I suppose you could run your electric guitar thru the LINE input.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Wed May 16, 2007 8:30 am

Add a dedicated soundcard such as: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/F ... -main.html

I do a bit of home recording using Cubase and an M-Audio card using a Rode microphone. Simple, easy and fun.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Garageband

Postby Osiris » Wed May 16, 2007 9:10 am

Don't wanna get into the whole Mac vs PC debate, but you can't go wrong with Apple's Garageband. Guitar (or any other instrument) plugs straight into your Mic port (or use the Macs built-in Mic for a nice acoustic tone) and voila... multi-track recording, plus you have access to a host of sound loops and instrument effects that would put a few of the professional packages to shame. The other neat feature is that you can import your favourite tunes from other sources and record over them (obviously the imported tracks won't be multi). I believe it also supports MIDI and various sound cards.

Great for home recording... now if I could just write a descent song!!

Jason
Osiris
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Wed May 16, 2007 11:58 am

Cool Edit Pro is a good programme.
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mr moto » Thu May 17, 2007 12:44 am

thank,s for all your suggestions i will give some of them a go . :D
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Thu May 17, 2007 3:17 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:I think Audacity FREE software can let you record several channels which then could be mixed down to one. I do believe you can listen and play along to any of the chAnnels. You'll need a mic or pick up for the accoustics,. I suppose you could run your electric guitar thru the LINE input.

Audacity is fine for simple WAV file editing, but the results can be a bit ropey when you have too many channels going at once. It will only reduce it to two track stereo (with both tracks identical), and the more tracks you have the more the distortion seems to increase when you export it. Unless i'm doing something wrong??
Maybe Acid or Ableton would be better?
dazza
-
-

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu May 17, 2007 5:56 am

Thanks Dazzabaes. i use Adobe Audition (Cool Edit) myself but Audacity as you know is free. I have just started to use Audacity to keep it legal as they say and was quite impressed with it.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Random Distractions