Northern Ireland

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Northern Ireland

Postby hazy » Tue May 08, 2007 12:13 pm

I have just watched the breaking news on the Northern Irish assembly. It was great to see the beginning of a new era for the Irish people. Well done to the people and the politicians for finally realizing what a peaceful resolution can achieve. As a person that would never vote for Labour I think the special contribution from Tony Blair must be one of his major legacies as a British PM. Throughout all the bickering from both sides he has acted with integrity and humility.
I now hope that this will now have a knock on effect to the people from the west of Scotland who will realize the bile we have had to put up with from both sides is now dead and buried.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Otis » Tue May 08, 2007 7:20 pm

Ditto to all of the above.. :wink:
Otis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue May 08, 2007 8:49 pm

As a labour supporter I feel it should be noted that John Major's government started the process.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Tue May 08, 2007 11:29 pm

Having been a regular visitor to both Eire and Northern Ireland, it is great to see the Emerald Isle coming together - small steps just now, as some communities are still divided with high fences and walls but give it time. The Berlin Wall came down in my lifetime and as a child, I was taught at school that the Wall (Berlin) would be there for eternity!

Northern Ireland is prospering now; business is looking to invest and house prices have risen and tourism is flourishing. Perhaps both sides realised the advantage of Peace and decided to cash in on its promotion. Whatever it is a joy to visit now and many tensions are gone and may it continue!

I remember going through many military checkpoints as we passed through Ulster and going into Donegal (also in Ulster) but it was nerve wracking experience, with helicopters flying low nearby and guns pointing all ways. It wasn't just a matter of being tense but maintaining bowel control!
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Chris H » Wed May 09, 2007 8:32 am

the best bit of the border patrol was pulling up then a Brittish soldier sticking his head in the drivers window and asking "is anyone in here kidnapped?"

I know a lot of soldiers that will never set foot on irish soil ever again as well.
Chris H
First Stripe
First Stripe

Return to Random Distractions