What are you watching?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: What are you watching?

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:01 pm

tobester wrote:So far four have been arrested, they give a bad name to the good people who do home care and care for the elderly

Whatever happened to the CRB check? Did it die the death? I remember it didn't used to work too well and people were hired while the check was still pending.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:03 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:
tobester wrote:So far four have been arrested, they give a bad name to the good people who do home care and care for the elderly

Whatever happened to the CRB check? Did it die the death? I remember it didn't used to work too well and people were hired while the check was still pending.

Does that not depend on what level they ask to get checked to, i had to get the basic disclosure done for the railway, and it just said if i had any convictions, (pending or spent)
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:10 pm

tobester wrote:
BrigitDoon wrote:

Does that not depend on what level they ask to get checked to, i had to get the basic disclosure done for the railway, and it just said if i had any convictions, (pending or spent)

I think it's different up here tobester; all I know for sure though is, to be offered a position as a nurse within the NHS you have to pass Full disclosure checks. Not sure offhand just exactly what those checks entail mind you.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bcuk10 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:37 pm

Doorstop wrote:Is anyone watching the FUCKING ANIMALS on Undercover Care on BBC1 at the moment?

The hair on the back of my neck is standing up!!

Give me five minutes in a room with these utter, utter cunts!

I hope they all get the jail and get what they gave out daily done to them.
bcuk10
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:17 pm

Boxer6 wrote:I think it's different up here tobester; all I know for sure though is, to be offered a position as a nurse within the NHS you have to pass Full disclosure checks. Not sure offhand just exactly what those checks entail mind you.

I'm thinking it's perhaps any NHS-related job? Certainly I had to go through the full Criminal Record, passport-checking palaver recently.

I wouldn't have minded so much if they didn't have the cheek to actually charge you for it.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:10 pm

For the Scottish NHS, if you are working with one of the regulated groups i.e. vulnerable ones, until February this year you required an enhanced disclosure check. This has now changed to the fact you must be a member of the PVG scheme, which whilst lisitng your previous conviction, will also say if you are on one of the barred lists, and notify the employer of any pending court action.

Situation in England is different, and the legislation is weaker. Bear in mind that establishment was a private one and the owning company will have its own rules which could well be different from the NHS.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:51 pm

TT coverage, on Sky Plus. It's on ITV4 nightly.
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:58 pm

Flicking between Question Time and Newsnight.

Do we get the media that we deserve ?
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:27 am

"Deserve" doesn't come into it. We get what we fail actively to oppose.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Fair point, but there were a few glory years when progressive ideas could make a splash.

Question Time these days usually has 6 right wingers ( including the host ) on the panel.

Newsnight had David Frum on the other week - the Host ( Paxman ) treated him with kid gloves - as if the chap was a respectable person with no previous history of causing death and mutilation.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:28 pm

Was just watching new detective series on BBC set in Edinburgh.
Thought I would watch 'Case Histories' as I watched 'Scott & Bailey' the ITV Detective series last week.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:37 pm

Dot wrote:Was just watching new detective series on BBC set in Edinburgh.
Thought I would watch 'Case Histories' as I watched 'Scott & Bailey' the ITV Detective series last week.

I watched Scott and Bailey because I'd watched it last week although I quite fancied Case Histories.

What I hadn't realised is that, as a result of a whole new bunch of Freeview channels I can access as a result of retuning my telly using the brand new remote control, I could have watched Scott etc on STV+1. :oops:
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:53 am

Egg Man,

It was hard to choose between the two as they both got good reviews.
I thought I would go for the BBC one and maybe the other would be repeated.

'Case Histories' Episode 2/6. Part two of two is on tonight though there is another thriller on ITV at the same time.
Think I will have to record it. 'Injustice' is wriiten by Anthony Horowitz and is about a criminal barrister who leaves
London after a traumatic event and moves to Suffolk.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:26 am

I am a bit late responding to the Panorama programme.

Being lucky enough to work in Social Care my call on what constitutes abuse is much less than other peoples - i.e. that I would notice and challenge certain subtle unprofessional conduct or incidents that I wasn't happy with. This is only my opinion and I certainly don't want to appear to be bragging.

An example of what I mean was when an assistant manager of a project supporting six adults decided to put chili through each of the main courses offered to both staff and clients (their terminology as I hate it). This person did this without asking or consulting the adults despite three of them having various communication methods enabling them to respond. The answer of "well, I have known them for X amount of time and they have always enjoyed such hot food" may seem to make sense but what it did was to take that choice away from people.

As always place yourself in the position of the person being supported. I love hot food but would be less than happy were I be asked if I wanted home made macaroni and cheese and to tuck in and find it was spicy and I doubt anyone reading this would feel any fucking different.

I must point out that this turned out to be a communication error between staff which affected the choice and that the project continues to provide incredible support but it is a relevant example of what could happen should that practice be accepted.

Needless to say there are occasions where choice can be curtailed such as if someone has an illness or on medication that would be affected by, say, soft fruit, spicy food or alcohol and it is equally unprofessional to be ignorant of this.

Anyhow my, long winded, point is that as shocking as it is this can happen so easily when standards drop. I have never seen it in my profession but did when I worked in the Civil Service. About ten years ago worked on a short term contract dealing with applicants searching for work in a jobcentre within the east end of Glasgow. As such we were serving one of the poorest catchment areas in Britain. The boss, who in his/her cliques eyes was shall we say reet-peteet, had a dreadfull manner towards clients. People shouldn't be supported to apply for more than two jobs at a time because "they can only be successful in one application", anyone in employment should be told to go through Bath street jobcentre as it "wasn't our interest" to help and so on, even if it was dead quiet "why should I help someone who has educational difficulties complete a form" yet I was criticised for "caring too much" when I put together a pack detailing local services for people in such a position and so on. Due to this his/her clique - which consisted of about a quarter of staff - had a similar attitude. I witnessed staff wind up clients flagged as potentially violent and smirk afterwards. The person given the hugely responsible role of matching clients to jobs would call many clients in their absence as "unemployable" publicly when dealing with other members of the public. This boss and her pals sneered at peoples. Rather than ask someone about personal hygiene deodorant was sprayed around them by as staff member shouting "Jesus Christ" People were forced to attend IT courses that they had recently gained qualified to teach. I could go on but would probably on serve to identify the location and individuals within which is obviously not a good idea.

I always encouraged those complaining about their treatment to take their concerns to both the area management and the local MP. I even brought this matter to the MP's attention.

Point is the work seventy-five per cent of the staff did was made redundant due to the general acceptance of this behavior so it is sadly no surprise to have seen such a similar circumstance here.

Sorry for the long post

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:33 pm

I think the point is that tiny abuse can grow to big abuse and even what appears minor to you and me can be very harmful to the individual suffering it.

I once worked in a long term elderly care unit where the auxillary staff (as they were then) thought it was okay to take (or steal to be blunt) the elderly patients juice and biscuits and them convince them they had imagined that they had them in the first place. You might think that doesn't amount to much in the way of abuse but when you are trying to keep someone orientated and mentally sharp, pretending they are otherwise is abuse in my eyes.

I reported it and intially was sent to conventry and then moved. I wanted the police involved but the management of the time didn't as some of the staff had long service and could face losing their jobs if convicted. They did move some of them.

That was in the 80's. Have we changed much? it doesn't seem so.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions