Fecking Jury Duty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Fecking Jury Duty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby YokerBloke » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:13 am

Jury Duty to day (Friday) at 2pm ?!?! WTF!
It was supposed to be on Wed at 9.30am but was 'not required' until today at 2pm.

This has got to be the wierdest start for a Jury Service. Anyone else ever have this late a time start for selection?
http://www.tracertong.co.uk
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Fecking Jury Duty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby red_kola » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:41 am

YokerBloke wrote:Jury Duty to day (Friday) at 2pm ?!?! WTF!
It was supposed to be on Wed at 9.30am but was 'not required' until today at 2pm.

This has got to be the wierdest start for a Jury Service. Anyone else ever have this late a time start for selection?

Yeah, i was pissed about (ie had to go into court) every day from Monday until Friday afternoon when I finally managed to be part of the jury selection process.

At this late stage they will tell you that there is a high probability that the trial will go into next week and should ask if this will cause difficulties for any potential Jurors. If you don't want to do the duty this is your opportunity to get out! Make something up - training course, Gas man coming on monday, whatever. Mysteriously then your name won't even make it into the hat ensuring a very low probability that you will be randomly selected :wink:
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:46 am

Figured this might be whats happening.

Right now at work we have a HUGE print run going and 4 of the usual 7 people are off sick, and wqith me doing JS isn't helping one bit as this job NEEDS to be out by next Wed, and we're only about 35% thru it atm.

Although our radiators need to be replaced in the hallway... ;)
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:25 pm

Didn't get picked. Looked a good one, even if it looked like at least a 3 week trial.

90 jurors called, 30 didnt even turn up. So I guess warrants get sent out
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:51 pm

:) unlucky mate , you might have had the pleasure of seeing yours truely as im a court officer :) , btw not turning up for jury duty isnt a problem because the crown office are at such a meltdown with cases they wont even bat an eyelid at people not turning up as long as enough for a jury is there
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:17 pm

My first time in the courts for jury duty.

Even on my way down the Saltmarket you see every type of life (mostly the low) on that one stretch. Shudder to think what the Pub clientle is like around there.
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:14 am

I got a letter today telling me I had been lucky enough to be selected for jury duty. I don't fancy much doing it, is there any way I can wriggle out without citing myself as a a bad man?
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:20 am

Send a letter pleading pressure of work. They will recall you eventually though.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby My Kitten » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:04 pm

jury duty is great fun. The second most important decision you make is what to have for lunch!

I'd love to get called back up again.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:40 pm

::):

Hope I'm never in the dock with you sitting doing your knitting in the jury box Kitten.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:45 pm

I hear the expense account thing but I get one of them for going to work so that's no real incentive to me.

Three top ideas I came up with so far

1. I'm recovering from health issues (Doctor can certify)
2. I'm a local eminent business person and fear reprisal
3. I hold prejudices against certain elements of society

I have a feeling number 3 might land me in hot water and may not represent my actual views

If anyone can think of anything duller than doing jury duty in Kilmarnock I'd love to hear it.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:04 pm

It honestly isn't a big deal Dave. I simply sent them a letter saying that it was a busy time for work and they replied excusing me but saying I would probably be recalled at a later date.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby gap74 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:16 am

I was summoned in May, but had already booked a holiday and got excused - now I'm not saying that spending a tenner on the cheapest Ryanair return for the dates coinciding with your jury duty is a morally acceptable thing...

...but I was genuinely in Paris on that particular occasion!

Got called up again last week for the Sheriff Court. Wasn't needed Mon, Tue, Wed, had to go in on Thursday at 11am, sat for an hour going through bits of organisational gubbins then sent home - almost exactly the same as happened during my stint at the High Court about 5 years ago.

Think they were struggling for jurors last week due to the number of folk excused for holidays - we didn't have enough to hold a ballot, had to purloin some from an adjacent court that had finished.

Shame, I would have been interested to sit on one jury at least!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:39 am

Dave wrote:I hear the expense account thing but I get one of them for going to work so that's no real incentive to me.

Three top ideas I came up with so far

1. I'm recovering from health issues (Doctor can certify)
2. I'm a local eminent business person and fear reprisal
3. I hold prejudices against certain elements of society

I have a feeling number 3 might land me in hot water and may not represent my actual views

If anyone can think of anything duller than doing jury duty in Kilmarnock I'd love to hear it.

What's the problem? You're worried that it will be dull so think that a good reason to avoid it, sounds like a right wean, I'm so bored! You live in a society and take all the benefits from that, why not contribute something back? Just because you pay your taxes doesn't absolve yourself from the judicial system. I've been called up for jury duty 4 times (both high court and sheriff and gone every time, I suspect it's because I've gone that they've asked me back, that or living at the same address for a long time!) Most jurors turn out to be normal working class folk who are keen to do their bit, many of them aren't comfortable about it, but they recognise its their duty and are willing to do it. From my experience its often the professional or well-off who squirm and try to wheedle their way out of it.

Personally I always found it interesting and well worth doing, you get to meet a range of people from a wide social scale, learn something new and even get a chance to have a laugh (ie the numptie who turned up in an old firm top to plead not guilty for hitting his brother on the head with brick over a bottle of buckfast, I mean how else could you alienate half the jury in one go!)

Let us know how you get on, I don't know if lying to court about jury duty would be classified as perjury, but I'd be up for sitting on that case.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:44 pm

cell wrote:What's the problem? You're worried that it will be dull so think that a good reason to avoid it, sounds like a right wean, I'm so bored! You live in a society and take all the benefits from that, why not contribute something back? Just because you pay your taxes doesn't absolve yourself from the judicial system. I've been called up for jury duty 4 times (both high court and sheriff and gone every time, I suspect it's because I've gone that they've asked me back, that or living at the same address for a long time!) Most jurors turn out to be normal working class folk who are keen to do their bit, many of them aren't comfortable about it, but they recognise its their duty and are willing to do it. From my experience its often the professional or well-off who squirm and try to wheedle their way out of it.

Personally I always found it interesting and well worth doing, you get to meet a range of people from a wide social scale, learn something new and even get a chance to have a laugh (ie the numptie who turned up in an old firm top to plead not guilty for hitting his brother on the head with brick over a bottle of buckfast, I mean how else could you alienate half the jury in one go!)

Let us know how you get on, I don't know if lying to court about jury duty would be classified as perjury, but I'd be up for sitting on that case.

You're a cunt btw. And as for accusing me of lying to a court you can poke that up your sphincter.

All 3 of the reasons I mentioned are genuine. If you're not prepared to believe that then I suggest you keep your cider addled opinion regarding my health and social stance to your smack fizzled self.

I know people get an enormous feeling of self importance over getting a free lunch and sitting listening to legal mumbo jumbo but I don't. If you want me to suggest you as a replacement then I'd be more than happy to, there you go. You can toddle off and play with yourself now.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions