Elderly care homes in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby glasgowken » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:01 pm

Thanks for the advice all, what about GCC sheltered housing, any horror stories ?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:43 pm

I'd have to agree that the social services were not a problem during an extended waiting period (~1 year) for a place in the desired care home, and an accident meant a hospital stay was involved at the same time. Again, there were no problems with the hospitals involved either - although there was never any question of using the hospital as an alternative 'care home', which it clearly is not.

Unfortunately the term 'social services' embraces a number of departments, I can't recall how many popped up when this was a current issue for me. That said, I never experienced any 'bad' staff or actions. Most were quite the opposite, eager to help if they could. I might add I'm talking about the 'deprived' east end of Glasgow too.

There is another issue that one should be aware of, and that is that for certain conditions, one's choice is limited to homes where the staff are qualified to deal with residents so affected, and the actual (special) facilities available in the home.

When this arose, they provided a huge listing of homes, their facilities and a ratin, it was over 1 cm thick, but it turned out that only 2 or 3 had the facilities I needed, so 'choice' is a relative term :roll:
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:48 pm

glasgowken wrote:Thanks for the advice all, what about GCC sheltered housing, any horror stories ?

Nope, but if sheltered housing is an option we had good experience of Bield Housing Association http://www.bield.co.uk/
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Elderly care homes in Glasgow

Postby aliferste » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:14 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
aliferste wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:
If you're relative is in hospital and being moving to a home from there, don't let the social work service bully you into taking the first available. The patient has the right to wait until their choice becomes available.

Good luck.

Sorry, got to correct you there!

Social Workers dont bully people into going into the first available care home in fact it is quite the opposite. It is the hospital that will try and discharge the patient without there being a suitable place for the person to go. The Social Worker is then forced to fight with the hospital to keep them in.

We''ll have to disagree there. Not my experience.

It’s actually more common than you might think. Can only really generally comment as I don’t know the specifics of your experience however social workers notoriously try and keep people in hospital until the right accommodation comes up as they know that it will just cause hassle later on if they get it wrong first time- it’s where the term bed blocking comes from.
The hospital are looking at a bed worth around 1500 quid a day being used by somebody that don’t need it and put pressure on social work to get folk out into the community. Don’t really see how social workers should be made out to be the bad guys here when clearly this is a health problem.

Always remember when choosing a home that it’s not the final stop, you can still flit about between them until you are happy.
aliferste
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby fin54 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:47 pm

Ask to see the inspectors report, every home has inspections done on a regular basis and you are permitted to see this on request
fin54
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby little lane » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:04 pm

I've recently had a relative move into the Four Hills Care Home in Ruchill, they've settled in reasonably well, we've always found the staff to be most helpfull, approachable and there has been no trouble with us visiting at any time we've needed to.
I had another relative that had been in a care home that I couldn't visit because I couldn't stand to see her in that place (selfish I know but I was younger and probably very childish about it all!), but this place doesn't feel like that.
Good luck and I hope you find the correct place for you and more importantly your relative/friend.
little lane
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:20 pm

Thanks all. Whatever happens I hope it can be sorted out quickly, & properly.
At the risk of being thought of as a misrable bastard (again) I've got a feeling it will all go at a snall's pace, or will be a massive screw up :roll:
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Random Distractions