Elderly care homes in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Elderly care homes in Glasgow

Postby glasgowken » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:25 pm

Any thoughts on care homes for the elderly in Glasgow ? This is something I might have to be looking into very soon, but I haven't a clue how to go about it, waiting times, conditions, etc.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:56 pm

GK...

I would say that you're doing the right thing by asking around. I think when it comes to care homes word of mouth recommendations count for a lot more than pamphlets and brochures and superficial appearances.

I can't really help with the mechanics of getting a placement for somebody, but I have been in the situation (very recently) of seeing a relative almost placed into residential care, but since she was in hospital this was being handled by the social work department.

You'll know about all the side issues regarding property and savings I suppose?

Anyway - sorry if this is a difficult time for you, hope all works out well.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:02 pm

My brother and I had to find a care home for our mother. We chose a few that were close-ish our homes and also on bus routes so her pals could visit easily.

Then we parked up outside each of them in turn and phoned them to say "can we come in and look round?" All but one wanted us to make an appointment for a later time. That one said 'yes, of course, just come in'. That's the one we chose.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jazza » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:16 pm

My Great Aunt & Uncle were in the care home at Broomhill Cross and by all accounts it was nice and the staff were caring, friendly and helpfull.
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby My Kitten » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:16 pm

I cant give any advice on glasgow ones, but wdc ones I can if anyone needs pointed in the right direction.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:37 pm

What is the procedure for those with no assets, is the care paid for by the GCC ? Does the old person still get some spending money, or does the whole state pension go to their care ?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aliferste » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:12 pm

Hiya,

If you go to the care commission website at

http://www.carecommission.com/

You can browse the various reports that are held for all care homes in scotland. The Care Commission are the main regulatory body that makes sure they are providing the care that they say they do.

Rather than giving you a long explanation of the way costs are worked out you should read this
http://tinyurl.com/y7ujet

Essentially, pop in to your local social work department or go and see the GP for advice.

Alistair
aliferste
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:44 pm

Thanks for the links :)
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:55 am

The above links probably leave little to add, other than a warning to ensure that short of breaching the undefined 'deprivation of assets' clause, do everything you can to ensure the council (and anyone else) is kept away from any family assets they may sink their claws into. They will go after anything that's not tied down. I speak from a 5-figure debt now lying in abeyance, incurred to stop them getting the family home.

Seek advice from your lawyer/solicitor now if you see this event coming, and consider getting Power of Attorney now, even if it's not needed at this stage, as it may not be possible later. I did note you hinted there were no assets, but still worth having this checked independently, just to be sure, as the 'deprivation of assets' clause means there's no going back.

As for homes themselves... visit, visit, visit.

I didn't come across any horrors myself, but there's obviously been enough documentaries in recent times to mean that visits are essential, preferably unannounced too. I just turned up at the door and politely asked to be shown around as I was interested, and had I ever been turned away for any reason other than staff availability/bad timing (meal time) then that would have been enough to put me off. It didn't happen though, and I was always given a tour.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Elderly care homes in Glasgow

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:09 pm

glasgowken wrote:Any thoughts on care homes for the elderly in Glasgow ? This is something I might have to be looking into very soon, but I haven't a clue how to go about it, waiting times, conditions, etc.

Some nursing homes in the Glasgow area are of very poor quality and should be avoided but if you visit, you'll get a feel for the home straight away.

If you're relative is in hospital and being moving to a home from there, don't let the social work service bully you into taking the first available. The patient has the right to wait until their choice becomes available.

Good luck.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby trudger » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:30 pm

glasgowken wrote:Any thoughts on care homes for the elderly in Glasgow ? This is something I might have to be looking into very soon, but I haven't a clue how to go about it, waiting times, conditions, etc.

Be sure you get a good look around, some of them have 'reception' areas which are used to show prospective clients how nice they are. They tend, though, to bear little relation to the horrors in the areas they dont want you to see. Ask to see a few bedrooms, speak to staff and get a swatch at the kitchen. If they show you without complaint then they are less likely to have anything to hide.

Good luck
trudger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Shazbat » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:07 pm

I've worked in one of them. Good idea to visit at meal times, this will give you an idea of the quality of nutrition (find out how much they allocate for food per head) and how well the residents are cared for.
Shazbat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:20 pm

i've worked in a few care homes in Lanarkshire and not really seen any that i wouldnt want to put any relatives in. cant comment on the glasgow ones tho. but generally the standard of care homes are getting better from when i started in them till now.

when we got ppl in to have a look around it was generally the nurse in charge that took them round and most of the homes showed the ppl round everywhere even the grounds which i thought was good.
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aliferste » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:18 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
If you're relative is in hospital and being moving to a home from there, don't let the social work service bully you into taking the first available. The patient has the right to wait until their choice becomes available.

Good luck.

Sorry, got to correct you there!

Social Workers dont bully people into going into the first available care home in fact it is quite the opposite. It is the hospital that will try and discharge the patient without there being a suitable place for the person to go. The Social Worker is then forced to fight with the hospital to keep them in.
aliferste
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:36 pm

aliferste wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:

Good luck.

Sorry, got to correct you there!

Social Workers dont bully people into going into the first available care home in fact it is quite the opposite. It is the hospital that will try and discharge the patient without there being a suitable place for the person to go. The Social Worker is then forced to fight with the hospital to keep them in.

We''ll have to disagree there. Not my experience.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions