Interviews

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Interviews

Postby glasgowken » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:18 pm

Went to an interview today, fucking hated it as always.

Personally I think formal interviews suck, it's such an artificial situation.
I bet plenty of great prospective employees (me :wink: ) are lost due to them just not being good with formal interviews, especially if the board are a bunch of pricks.

Far better to simply sit and chat with the candidate for a while, in a relaxed setting, i'm certain that would be far more useful in determining what sort of person they are.
Why do most employers (and unis) carry on with such an outdated tradition ? :roll:

Opinions, anyone ?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby engineer » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:31 pm

i once spent 4 days in aberdeen being interviewed for an offshore job. there was allsorts of tests including the ones where you all have to work in a group.
eg 'you crash in the desert and can only salvage 15 items...'
and one where had to build something to hold an egg and fling it down the stairs.

what a load of shite....these group things just bring out the worst in folk as they all clamour to appear decisive leaders.

and the c**ts didn't give me the job
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby smartie » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:33 pm

i know what you mean. totally un-natural situation. was going to take a doctors line to say i get stressed out at interviews....... don't think they'd buy it though..... :)

been in roll play situations, they aren't as bad !!!
smartie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:51 pm

engineer wrote:i once spent 4 days in aberdeen being interviewed for an offshore job. there was allsorts of tests including the ones where you all have to work in a group.
eg 'you crash in the desert and can only salvage 15 items...'
and one where had to build something to hold an egg and fling it down the stairs.

what a load of shite....these group things just bring out the worst in folk as they all clamour to appear decisive leaders.

and the c**ts didn't give me the job

I hate that sort of fake problem solving shite.

There must be a whole industry of employment consultants putting out this crap.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:55 pm

Interviews have to be structured in order that the interviewer can establish whether or not the interviewee has the skills and/or experience required. I've found that the best way to establish that structure is to go in with a predetermined approach. Such continuity also allows different candidates to be compared more accurately against one another.

I agree an informal chat puts the candidate at their ease but for certain positions you will want to see how they handle themselves in a pressure situation such as a panel interview. Remember that there are always two interviews going on at the same time; they want to establish whether you are good enough for the position, and you want to establish whether or not you want the job.

Hope you get it GK if it's the one you want.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Smartalex » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:58 pm

I once went for an interview with Scottish Power as an electrician they told me there would be a test, so I spent two days studying electricity wiring and when I got there it was an aptitude test and I could'nt think properly because of all the wiring diagrams and domestic/industrial installations. :?
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:01 pm

We/ they know exactly if you’re suitable as soon as you walk in the door...

If you smell of BO, mumble, haven’t prepared your- presentation etc, bluff your way through the interview [which also includes talking shite] never did any research on the company you’ve applied for, bitch about the last places you worked for etc, then you’re fucked.

Fossil
Head of Human Resources HG.com
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby glasgowken » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:09 pm

Fair enough regards the mumbling, BO, talking shite, etc, but the......."We/ they know exactly if you’re suitable as soon as you walk in the door" 8O

Can you elaborate a wee bit ? If the guy/girl is dressed properly, and looks presentable, can you still tell as soon as they walk in ?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:15 pm

Sounds pish GK But folk do do that.

I rather look at someone’s CV and read from back to front. So I don’t find out till the end if it’s a man or woman, age, colour, ethnic origin.
To me it’s if your qualified/experienced that counts

Fossil
Fossil
-
-

Postby Simba » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:24 pm

Modern Fossil wrote:We/ they know exactly if you’re suitable as soon as you walk in the door...

If you smell of BO, mumble, haven’t prepared your- presentation etc, bluff your way through the interview [which also includes talking shite] never did any research on the company you’ve applied for, bitch about the last places you worked for etc, then you’re fucked.

Fossil

What if the person talking to you is bitching about them too?! 8O
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:34 pm

Simba wrote:
Modern Fossil wrote:We/ they know exactly if you’re suitable as soon as you walk in the door...

Fossil

::): dont take the job

F
Fossil
-
-

Postby glasgowken » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:54 pm

The situation isn't helped by the fact that a lot of interviewers are shite (i'm not including Fossil here of course :wink: ).

Some of them seem to delight in the power they have over your future, almost a "do you really believe you would be allowed to work for us" sort of attitude.

Maybe i'm getting too paranoid 8O

The other annoyance is, when you see some of the misrable bastards who DID get the job (i'm talking about a host of jobs, service industries, shop staff, transport, rail, etc, etc), it makes you wonder what the hell they said at the interview, and question just how useful it really is at finding the right person.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:18 pm

I know this wont help you G but this is what I enjoy doing. I apply for jobs dont really want ( service industry ) and noise up the complete wank that is interviewing me . It knocks the c**ts right off their stride.
The best one was when I told this prick I would let him know in the near future if I want the job. He then replied "thats great sir thanks for your time". I then phone him to let him know his company had been unsucsesful in trying to get me to work for them.
By the way what kind of job you looking for G.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:30 pm

::): ::): ::): Brilliant.

It was just some big shitty retail company, the sort of work I promised myself i'd never do again, so i'm not too gutted.

I actually want to start on my nursing degree soon, so I would have probably ended up leaving this lot within a year anyway. I'm putting aplications into the NHS just now for starter grade jobs, try to get a bit more basic experience while I study.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:21 pm

Modern Fossil wrote:
Simba wrote:

Fossil

::): dont take the job

F

Sadly if they get round to sorting it out I will be. ;)
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions