Steve Urwin - Crocodile Hunter

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Steve Urwin - Crocodile Hunter

Postby cheesylion » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:39 am

Sad to see on this mornings news that Steve Urwin has died after taking a stingray hit to the heart.

I enjoyed his documentaries and I think he will be missed but at least he died doing what he loved.
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mr moto » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:08 am

this is the guy who made a career out of taunting and annoying wild animals,and the same guy who took his baby daughter into a crocodile enclosure for a laugh ? i feel very sorry for those he leaves behind ,but the way he treated wild animals meant that something like this was inevitable ,it,s very sad . R.I.P steve .
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby govanboay » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:16 am

His death did have an air of the inevitable about it, although I thought it'd be a croc or snake.
RIP mate.

paul.
govanboay
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby red_kola » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:20 am

...lest we forget:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBwRE4bo30o

Surprised to hear the guy didn't actually come from Darwin but I'm sure he'll be getting an award soon...
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:40 am

I've already booked a "snorkelling with stingrays" excursion
when I go my holidays in November, think I might let the
company keep the deposit. 8O
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cheesylion » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:48 am

mr moto wrote:this is the guy who made a career out of taunting and annoying wild animals,and the same guy who took his baby daughter into a crocodile enclosure for a laugh ? i feel very sorry for those he leaves behind ,but the way he treated wild animals meant that something like this was inevitable ,it,s very sad . R.I.P steve .

MR M, please check your facts before you post.

Steve Urwin was credited as doing more than anyone else in Oz and possibly globally for wildlife conservation, what you see as
mr moto wrote:taunting and annoying wild animals
was actually preserving some of the most endangered species we have left on the planet! I've been to Australia Zoo which Steve owned with his wife Terri and I can assure you that all the animals are kept in as close to their natural habitats as possible! He cared for all the animals in his zoo and any wild animals he happened upon in his travels.

Also, it was his baby SON he took into the enclosure with him, and although I'm not condoning his actions, I'm sure he would NOT have taken his son in with him if he thought the child was at risk.

Rant over.
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby doonunda » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:44 pm

ft
Last edited by doonunda on Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
doonunda
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:51 pm

doonunda wrote:to be honest I thought he was an idiot.

Wasn't my cup of tea to be honest. Kind of inevitable really.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:59 pm

Sad news, feel sorry for his family.

RIP Steve
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:15 pm

Was in Renfield Street one day a couple of years ago and there was a car at a red light with a couple of people dressed up as Australians. Hats, khaki shirts, the lot. Thought they were some act appearing at Walkabout, as they were just round the corner.

Turns out it was actually Steve Irwin and his wife, they were at stv for some promo interviews for their film.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:02 pm

There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:20 pm

Sir Roger you are right on the button :wink: My main worry is that this guy's unsurprising demise will generate a 'bad image' for Stingrays similar to that of sharks - with resultant global carnage wreaked by big, 'brave' well-armed 'hunters'.

Stingrays are known as the ghost of the sea cos they are so shy... but what was that someone posted about taunting and annoying wild animals?... doesn't this kind of tragedy tend to happen if you do that?

SOS!
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:33 pm

So he was "asking for it?", given that he did actually survive until 44 it does suggest that on the whole he was actually pretty careful in what he was doing.

For heavens sake show some sort of sympathy or at least respect for the guys achievements, for all his TV style and persona, he has done a great deal for the conservation movement both publically and privately perahps it would be more useful to at least look at his achievements rather than lambasting him now he's dead?
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby The_Clincher » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:56 pm

I agree with the inevitability of this man's demise. He's been lucky thus far, but his luck obviously ran out.

Hi stupid stunt with the baby and croc done nothing more than confirm to us that he was indeed a piece short of a picnic. No surprise that he's panned out noising up dangerous marine life.
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:53 pm

The_Clincher wrote:No surprise that he's panned out noising up dangerous marine life.

From what I read stingrays are shy dudes. They reckon this one must've felt scared and he has been killed by a very, very freak accident what with the stab to the heart.

I mean, what he did wasn't half as stupid as that daft bastard Rod Hull who fell off his roof fixing his telly aerial.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions