Buying Rounds

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Buying Rounds

Postby My Kitten » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:05 pm

Yet another thing we are being discouraged in doing, but theres more to a round than just buying drinks

Those of you at the next drinks night take heed!

below the surface the pub round is a complicated, highly-regulated social ritual.

Being in a round means being accepted as a member of a group. And once inside this group, there are rules to be carefully observed about when and how often drinkers should be heading to the bar.

"Buying a round in a pub marks you out as a member of a very specific group - and by watching who buys drinks for whom, and in turn who receives drinks from whom, you get an immediate idea of the social dynamic there," says Dr Marsh.

There is nothing random about how drinks are bought in a round.
Getting in a round is a longstanding tradition

"There's a lot of monitoring - because you don't want to buy the drinks too early, you don't want to buy them too late. There are unwritten rules, such as if half the round are towards the bottom of the glass, that's the time to buy," he says.

The greatest social danger is to be labelled as a round dodger who never finds their pocket - on the surface everyone might be smiling, but they're keeping a careful note on the progress of the round.

"People who don't buy their rounds become ostracised or pushed to the fringes of the group, it makes them extremely unpopular. It's seen as a deviant behaviour not to reciprocate.

"It goes the other way too, as people who buy too many are equally unpopular, as it's seen as showing off," says Dr Marsh

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4798919.stm

The round dodging is a particular annoyance of mine, state at the beginning that you are buying your own (mine is usually due to financial constraints) rather than being a cadgin git. Another one is sitting there waiting to for someone to offer to buy you a drink and then not being quick off the mark to buy another - does my head in that one!

my kitten
HG Social Ettiquette Convenor
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:41 pm

That's definitely not an issue with myself. Always been a rounds
drinker, but keep an eye on those not playing the game. It's only
a matter of good manners, to state that you are just buying your
own. Perhaps due to financial matters, or perhaps being a light
drinker. Yet society brands "buy my own" crowd as mean, which
I think as wrong, we all should be allowed to be different.
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:50 pm

Good to know our Executive are on the case and tackling the evil that is round-buying :roll:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2006/08/14120436/Q/Video/353
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:36 pm

Yup. I remember a few years back when out for a night out with some of the Uni crowd (not the usual bunch I hung about with) and we decided early on to get a kitty going. For some odd reason, I was trusted not to bugger off with the money, and was given the task of engathering the funds. I got to one particular person who refused to put in the kitty as she was drinking soft drinks. After suggesting a compromise of half the money everyone else was putting in, she still refused.

Fair enough, not everyone wants to drink alcohol, or may be a designated driver, but the real annoyance was that she fully expected to still get her drinks bought in the round, and was shocked to hear that soft drinks still actually cost money. It may not come as a surprise to learn that I rapidly scored out her soft drink entry from the written list we had to pass to the bar staff!

Incidentally, these were all so called "mature" students, and not the usual just out of their teens skint students! Bah humbug!
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:55 pm

Vinney were they student teachers by chance. I worked in a cafe bar for a wee while and had to serve some student teachers. When I handed them the bill it took them another half hour to argue over who never got a starter. Then it was I only had two drinks to your three. What a bunch of knob ends. Just as well I lumped them up on the bill cause the wankers never tip :x
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Buying Rounds

Postby Jupiter-Returns » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:17 pm

My Kitten wrote:Yet another thing we are being discouraged in doing, but theres more to a round than just buying drinks

Those of you at the next drinks night take heed!

below the surface the pub round is a complicated, highly-regulated social ritual.

Being in a round means being accepted as a member of a group. And once inside this group, there are rules to be carefully observed about when and how often drinkers should be heading to the bar.

"Buying a round in a pub marks you out as a member of a very specific group - and by watching who buys drinks for whom, and in turn who receives drinks from whom, you get an immediate idea of the social dynamic there," says Dr Marsh.

There is nothing random about how drinks are bought in a round.
Getting in a round is a longstanding tradition

"There's a lot of monitoring - because you don't want to buy the drinks too early, you don't want to buy them too late. There are unwritten rules, such as if half the round are towards the bottom of the glass, that's the time to buy," he says.

The greatest social danger is to be labelled as a round dodger who never finds their pocket - on the surface everyone might be smiling, but they're keeping a careful note on the progress of the round.

"People who don't buy their rounds become ostracised or pushed to the fringes of the group, it makes them extremely unpopular. It's seen as a deviant behaviour not to reciprocate.

"It goes the other way too, as people who buy too many are equally unpopular, as it's seen as showing off," says Dr Marsh

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4798919.stm

The round dodging is a particular annoyance of mine, state at the beginning that you are buying your own (mine is usually due to financial constraints) rather than being a cadgin git. Another one is sitting there waiting to for someone to offer to buy you a drink and then not being quick off the mark to buy another - does my head in that one!

my kitten
HG Social Ettiquette Convenor

Micro-sociology is fantastic.
"Ma kin ah dae a jobby?" Jobbies, jobbies are funny a bit.
Jupiter-Returns
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Buying Rounds

Postby Giblets On Croute » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:42 pm

There is always one person who accepts a drink in around ie a soft drink, but doesn't want to buy a round, why?

What happens if you are in a crowd and you have a slow drinker, everyone ends up waiting for them to finish, or they end up with 3-4 drinks in front of them. Very annoying. I say stick to the traditional rules ie everyone in the group buys their round when its there turn.

Anything else is just not cricket.
Giblets On Croute
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:53 pm

Ah, the token soft drinks drinker. Met a few over the years. It's
better if they just buy they're own and the group should not exclude
them from this fact. Yet if they expect to be bought drinks off drinkers,
well tought titty.

My own problem, is that I've always been too generous, and still
buy bartenders a drink, if they provide a good service. Respect
your company, until your company starts disrespeting yourself.

When your dealing with large groups, generally over 6 people,
round buying generally becomes problematic. Perhaps even
this might be an issue with some folks that might want to
turn up for the monthly drinks night.

I think the solution is generally buy your own drinks, yet if
someone offers you a drink, buy them one back, just to
show some respect. Sadly there is a lot of cadgers kicking
around, that just want a free meal ticket, yet they don't
understand that everything in life comes with a price.
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:09 am

I'm fine with rounds and wont shirk my responsibility to by one. Personally, I like to get the first one in so I can kick back for a while, but I'm easy.
There is always one person who accepts a drink in around ie a soft drink, but doesn't want to buy a round, why?

I have no problem with that usually cause the person is gonna drive you and everyone else home at the end of the night. If not, then there is a problem.

I have one friend who is such a tight fuck it can't be believed. He'll accept a round when he's got 3/4 of a pint left, then fuck off when it gets near his turn. Which was exactly what he done last week and got f*cking chinned for after years of round-dodging. COCK!!! :roll:

Anyway, the opening article made me laugh, MK. :D
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:21 am

PlasticDel wrote:I have one friend who is such a tight fuck it can't be believed. He'll accept a round when he's got 3/4 of a pint left, then fuck off when it gets near his turn. Which was exactly what he done last week and got f*cking chinned for after years of round-dodging. COCK!!! :roll:

How come he's still a friend if he's being doing this for years?

Don't frequent pubs now as much as I used to, but I always try and get the first round in so at least I've discharged my responsibility. But in groups of more than say 4 people I think a kitty is probably the best policy.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:30 am

The best thing the Executive has done for round-dodgers is to ban smoking in pubs. One of my mates, (who has always been a bit tight), now insists on having a smoke outside the pub before he goes in. He is then at least half a pint behind everyone else. We usually leave him to get the last shout in but we're not shy in telling him when it's his turn.
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:06 am

Last time I was at a meal where there was a kitty for drinks, we all got pints and one arse insisted on getting champagne. ("but it's all I drink...")
Work rather than friends. :evil:
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:08 am

I remember another time when a now ex-friend was complaining
of being skint, so the rest of the group bought him a few drinks.

At the end of the night he complained of being tired and disappeared
via a taxi, £20 quid fare mind. The remaining 3 of us left at last
orders, to visit a nightclub and split the £20 quid fare 3 ways.
Surprise surprise on arriving at the nightclub, who did we see
buying some senga vodka cocktails :evil:
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:11 pm

viceroy wrote:
PlasticDel wrote:I have one friend who is such a tight fuck it can't be believed. He'll accept a round when he's got 3/4 of a pint left, then fuck off when it gets near his turn. Which was exactly what he done last week and got f*cking chinned for after years of round-dodging. COCK!!! :roll:

How come he's still a friend if he's being doing this for years?

Don't frequent pubs now as much as I used to, but I always try and get the first round in so at least I've discharged my responsibility. But in groups of more than say 4 people I think a kitty is probably the best policy.

There are more important things to me than drink (regardless of what my girlfriend thinks) that's why. Although this guy pushes it too damn close sometimes (like last week). Skipping a round is one thing, taking a loan of people is another.

Kittys are good.
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sandpiper » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:58 pm

Was out on a mates stag do in Embra earlier in the year. My mate's from Cork and there were 16 of us with me being the only Scot.

Dunno if it's predominately an Irish thing but when I tried to buy the first round (responsibility discharge) it was suggested we break into micro-kitties of 4.

Everyone stayed together, but you can eff off with your mates in a round if you want to and not forfeit your obligation by being in a huge group.

Worked an effin treat.
Sandpiper
First Stripe
First Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions