Not really interesting facts about yourself

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Not really interesting facts about yourself

Postby banjo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:32 pm

happy birthday young yin.my brother in laws birthday today as well[54].
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:27 pm

Sorting through some old things in the West Tower Attic and came across a bracelet belonging to my late aunt. It is hung about with dozens of little shields (each about the dimensions of an aspirin, but thin), depicting towns throughout Scotland: Aberfeldy, Balquihider, Tannochbrae and such. I recall that back in more genteel times it was possible to buy these little heraldic souvenirs in local gift shops upon stopping the Morris Minor in the Main Street of even the most modest village or hamlet. An astonishingly pretty thing that occasions me to propose firing up the HG charabanc and mounting a search party to hunt for Hidden Scotland circa 1960.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:13 pm

a spiffing wheeze that could jolly well be.now pass me the peoples friend and a soor ploom and off we go my good man.to rothesay o i say for starters.where next anyone?
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:45 pm

charmbraceletlowres.jpg

Rothesay first it is then.

New Year's Resolution... to visit all the places on this bracelet before Christmas. As I said to the wife; "What's the point in keeping the Silver Ghost in the garage when there's still a good 10/6d of petrol in the tank, an open road and a few Fortnum & Mason travel hampers in the wine cellar?"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:35 pm

cracker,just spotted pitlochry and we will be stopping off there on the way home from a burns night celebration in braemar in three weeks time.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:17 pm

I've become fascinated by this picture I discovered on the Overlook Hotel website. It's a Polaroid shot for continuity purposes of actor Danny Lloyd standing on the set of the Guest Room Hallway. It is distempered, faded and discoloured by age, taken some 35 or 36 years ago during the 46 week shoot at Elstree Studios. It looks like it has been buried and dug up from the ground.

What I think is so compelling about the image is that rather than being hastily shot by June Randall or one of her assistants, it could be an artefact saved from the Torrence family photo album shot by Jack himself. Danny looks wary and gazes slightly past the camera, his right hand has balled into a fist, the other is halfway towards doing so. His Apollo 11 jumper hasn't been torn yet so it's before his assault by the "crazy woman" in Room 237. If Wendy had taken this picture he would be smiling and open, instead Jack has posed his son during some time away from his typewriter and snapped this rather haunting depiction of his vulnerable looking child before their final reckoning in the labyrinth.
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:29 pm

Insurance? You get that for peace of mind....don't you? More so if its for your house.
So why is my insurance company such a pile of poo to deal with? Anything they can do to stop you making a claim they do. Complaints go unanswered.......
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:32 pm

RDR wrote:Insurance? You get that for peace of mind....don't you? More so if its for your house.
So why is my insurance company such a pile of poo to deal with? Anything they can do to stop you making a claim they do. Complaints go unanswered.......

Insurance companies are, as a general rule, third only to politicians & bankers in their total disregard for ordinary people and their woes. So it's absolutely NO surprise to hear you're having problems with one. Hope you can get it sorted soon; if you fancy emailing the boss of said company with a well-worded missive, try here. The e-address you need should be on this list.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:07 pm

Boxer6 wrote:
RDR wrote:Insurance? You get that for peace of mind....don't you? More so if its for your house.

Insurance companies are, as a general rule, third only to politicians & bankers in their total disregard for ordinary people and their woes. So it's absolutely NO surprise to hear you're having problems with one. Hope you can get it sorted soon; if you fancy emailing the boss of said company with a well-worded missive, try here. The e-address you need should be on this list.

Much appreciated Box.
Yes, despite me having a copy of the policy in front of me, they continued to argue I didn't have 'trace & access' and they wouldn't send out a contractor. After an hour they conceded I did and they would cover any damage except to repair the leak despite me having a £250 excess and clear cover to do that.

I now have a lovely hole in the living room ceiling with a drip coming from the exposed pipe into a bucket. Awaiting their decision on the go ahead.

Complaints through their system have gone unanswered, so a wee e-mail to the CEO might just be the thing.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sandabound » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:31 pm

RDR wrote:
Boxer6 wrote:

Much appreciated Box.
Yes, despite me having a copy of the policy in front of me, they continued to argue I didn't have 'trace & access' and they wouldn't send out a contractor. After an hour they conceded I did and they would cover any damage except to repair the leak despite me having a £250 excess and clear cover to do that.

I now have a lovely hole in the living room ceiling with a drip coming from the exposed pipe into a bucket. Awaiting their decision on the go ahead.

Complaints through their system have gone unanswered, so a wee e-mail to the CEO might just be the thing.

RDR, B&Q have some gunk you put on the burst pipe (like a puncture repair type thing) depends on the size of hole, might be worth a try, it's only a couple of £.
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:40 am

was at a funeral yesterday in ohr in clydebank.not a god botherer in any way myself but have to say the inside of that church with the sun shining through the stained glass was amazing.beautiful place full of gothic style,pop in if you get the chance.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:40 pm

sandabound wrote:
RDR wrote:
Boxer6 wrote:

Much appreciated Box.

RDR, B&Q have some gunk you put on the burst pipe (like a puncture repair type thing) depends on the size of hole, might be worth a try, it's only a couple of £.

Sandabound,
thanks for the suggestion.
The pipe itself doesn't have a hole, its a leaking joint.
100mm plastic pipe, so would the B&Q gunk seal a leaking joint?
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sandabound » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:57 pm

Yes RDR
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:32 pm

sandabound wrote:Yes RDR

Cheers I shall give it a go then.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:45 pm

Just been reminded I have been an anti social git.
Hello to Cumbo. Mrs Cumbo. Hollowlegs. Graham and Fossil.
I promise to do better this year.
Brilliant to bump into y'all
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions