Why the west is always the best

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Why the west is always the best

Postby MacKenzie79 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:42 pm

Does anybody here know why the west end of nearly all major cities are better than the east end????

I have been given two theories so far -

That in Glasgow [for talkings sake] smog was blown in an easterly direction by the west wind so the town planners built the best houses in the west end where the air was some what cleaner.

That because the sun sets in the west, better housing was built in the west end to ensure the people recieved longer hours of sunlight.

I would like the truth. I am not going to be lazy, i am about to find out for myself if i can but any help would be appreciated. Cheers.
MacKenzie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Jupiter-Returns » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:49 pm

Was it not something to do with the wind direction?

Dunno.
"Ma kin ah dae a jobby?" Jobbies, jobbies are funny a bit.
Jupiter-Returns
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Voyageur » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:55 pm

I believe your both right. Wind and Sun.

Might also be due to the working classes of the east getting up at sunrise and having more light to work in?!?
The Voyageur
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dynamo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:01 pm

I was taught that it was due to the prevailing weather in the UK. That is to say our weather arrives from the Atlantic and travels over Britain in an easterly direction, thus blowing the smoke and pollution from industry over the East End of the city.

The sunlight idea is also logical enough, given the reasons mentioned.

Wonder why they did't just build on a purely North-South Axis ::):
"When you get right down to it, yer countries a bit like yer fizzer. Fair enough, It might be a pock-marked drink-ridden eyesore, but yer stuck wi' it, so ye might as well try and love it." Rab C Nesbitt.
Dynamo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Why the west is always the best

Postby PlasticDel » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:34 pm

MacKenzie79 wrote:That in Glasgow [for talkings sake] smog was blown in an easterly direction by the west wind so the town planners built the best houses in the west end where the air was some what cleaner.

That because the sun sets in the west, better housing was built in the west end to ensure the people recieved longer hours of sunlight.

That's the way I always understood it to be... Although I'm not so sure that 'town planners' had so much (or anything) to do with it traditionally.
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dynamo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:20 pm

I don't think it was planned that way as much sa it just evolved. Of course houses would become cheaper if they where smothered in smoke, thus making them more affordable to the working classes.
"When you get right down to it, yer countries a bit like yer fizzer. Fair enough, It might be a pock-marked drink-ridden eyesore, but yer stuck wi' it, so ye might as well try and love it." Rab C Nesbitt.
Dynamo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:37 pm

Seen from Burnside there is currently a nasty looking brown haze sitting over Glasgow and heading East down what looks like the valley of the Clyde. Probably a good job that there are hardly any coal fires these days.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby octavia » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:34 am

brown haze,thinking it could be fumes from all those german deisel engined taxis,now not fit for purpose ?
octavia
First Stripe
First Stripe

Return to Random Distractions