Bring back the Belt?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Do you think that the belt should be brought back in schools?

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes : 29

Bring back the Belt?

Postby Alycidon » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:21 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/5054560.stm

John Swinburne, of the Scottish Senior Citizens Unity Party has called for the belt to be brought back in Scottish schools to tackle indiscipline.

The belt was banned in Scottish schools 20 years ago, a move Mr Swinburne said was to blame for anti-social behaviour and a lack of classroom discipline.

Personally I agree, It was available to teachers when I was at school and if you didn't want to be belted you stayed out of trouble. I found it a very good deterrent, there are probably plenty of things that I would have got up to had I not had the belt to worry about.

Only caveat I would introduce would be that all teachers would have to keep records of who and why they belted, some vicious bastards did it for fun.
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Bring back the Belt?

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:29 am

Alycidon wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/5054560.stm

some vicious bastards did it for fun.

indeed they did. I remember one teacher had a belt called Henry and remember him leathering some young guy in the Physics class over the back for not doing his homework.

I'm hope karma has ensued and this vicious git got his comeuppance.

Can you imagine them nowadays trying to belt some wee ned in the class. I'm sure they would get a "fuck off ya fud" from the pupil.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:38 am

Good teachers don't need to use the belt. I've sat through a lot of classes and the ability of teachers to keep control of their class varies widely. The best teachers can connect with all of the class, help them to understand and learn and make the kids think - the worst pick kids to dislike and dismiss them without giving them a chance.

If a kid is continually written off by teachers and made to feel useless, why are we surprised when they lash out? The belt can't help to fix that situation.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacKenzie79 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:52 am

I'm sorry. I can see how children are becoming little shitebags because of the lack of discipline but if a teacher ever hit my daughter, my brothers or my nephew and niece then i would have to go and belt him/her. Teachers should be able to discipline kids without resorting to anything physical. Just my opinion.
MacKenzie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:55 am

But then again, parents should also be able to discipline their children and not leave it to the school/social worker, etc.

It that attitude (you hit my kid I'll do you!!!) that's part of the problem.

I didn't get the belt often but if I did my mum would say "well, what did you do to deserve it"

Parents are the problem, not teachers although I do agree that some teachers did use the belt too liberally.

Best leave the belt in the drawer.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cazzie » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:12 am

Nope - wouldn't like a teacher hitting my two.

Might be the mists of time and poor memory but I do believe teachers - in general- were more committed and professional in those days. yes there were some b******* but the enthusiastic teachers could really inspire pupils.

I've got two daughters coming to the end of secondary school education and I've found real inspirational teachers in the minority. For whatever reason it's happened, it's very sad. Teachers are demotivated and negative. In my years in HR I've interviewed a good few and the only reasons many of them stay in teaching is pension/holidays/salary. No way would I let them have a weapon!

Having said that - the few good teachers have really enriched my children's lives and you can't ever put a price on that.
Cazzie
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:57 am

The belt is a complete anachronism and with all due respect to John Swinburne, who I know from his involvement at the worlds greatest football club, Motherwell FC, he is completely out of touch on just about every issue not directly involving pensioners.

Teachers (on the whole) don't want it, parents don't want it and at the risk of pointing out the bleeding obviously pupils don't want it either.

Let's face it, kids have always and will always be naughty, disruptive and insolent (if they weren't why did they need the belt back in the 'good old days').

The more extreme misbehaviour of today is down to poor environment, poor schools, poor teaching and abysmal parenting.

If you mean bring back the belt for opportunistic, rhetoric spouting politicians and the sort of parents you wouldn't trust to look after a goldfish nevermind a kid, you might get my support but belting kids in school is utterly redundant and any suggestion of its reinstatement the product of a sterile mind.

Back to school Swinburne!
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Bring back the belt

Postby frank dawson » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:45 pm

:D I do not know the answer to the question but teachers nowadays have a serious problem dealing with disruptive pupils in the classroom.
My own experience in 1940 demonstrated how nasty one teacher was.
Our class was sitting a little test and the point of my pencil had broken off.
That sadistic "*******" gave me the belt.
Quite ridiculous!
I know that there must be discipline in life and I wonder if one of my neighbours from the 1970's had the answer.
His son's school sent him a letter to say the son was a complete pest in the classroom and the headmaster would like to have a chat with him.
My neighbour, who was a prominent Scottish ex boxer, went to the school, spoke to the headmaster and a formula was agreed.
My neighbour was allowed to go into the classroom where his son was sitting.
Marching straight to his son's desk he got him by the scruff of the neck and marched him to the teacher.
"If my son every causes any further disruption in class I want you to inform me immediately".
That boy never again misbehaved in class.
The embarrassment he suffered in front of his mates saw to that.
Sadly nowadays if certain parents were told their little darlings had received a punishment from the teacher the response would most likely be,"I am going to sort out the teacher".
frank dawson
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby thecatsmother » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:21 pm

I was belted every day in 1st year for being late. It didn't make me early. We used to have competitions to see who get the belt most often. No deterrant at all.
thecatsmother
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby job78989 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:51 pm

I am sure most of us who are old enough to have been belted at school, would agree that belting children changes nothing, the weaker child is terrorised by its existance and the bolder ones will tell the teacher to fuck off anyway.

Teaching children that violence is the way to get what you want only encourages them to be violent to get what they want ( ever seen a wean hiting its maw in the shops?)

Belting Birching and hanging as deterants don't work!

Have the parents teach THEIR childrens some manners and respect will achieve far more.

I am sure many of us can provide the wee horror stories about the abuse of power by teacher, these can be quite amusing and some times hart breaking, poit is thou these stories are of a time period and do not reflect the values and traditions of today.

Parents fail to provide their children with bounderies and they grow up beleving they can do anything, a worthwile value if it is tempered with the restraints of respect and understanding of the needs of others.

I myself first got the belt on my first day at school as a 5 year old for standing on the grass at playtime. Being a big lad for five the janny who reported me an some others to the headmisstress probably thought i was one of the older kids who would have known the script.

In secondary we had a sports teacher who automatically belted every boy at the start of every lesson.

john
Sometimes the people need to speak if they want to be heard.
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby engineer » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:24 pm

im with the comedian Jack Dee. if we're allowed to hit children, then we should be able to hit pensioners too. They are just as, if not even more, annoying.

and i'd start with swinburne!
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kpstar » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:57 pm

engineer wrote:im with the comedian Jack Dee. if we're allowed to hit children, then we should be able to hit pensioners too. They are just as, if not even more, annoying.

That is a very good point.
As for myself I would always take the belt over lines, got it over with.
The only exception to that was the time I got six after a lunch hour playing football in the snow, my hands were blue from the cold a the bastard of a headmaster still belted me.
kpstar
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:04 pm

job78989 wrote:In secondary we had a sports teacher who automatically belted every boy at the start of every lesson.

Exactly the kind of sadistic bassa who needed sorting out. By the time I was 16 we would just threaten the teachers if they tried it on with the belt. We knew which ones we could intimidate easily. The really hard teachers never needed to use the belt ... funny that.

I agree with the comment that the belt never really had an effect. It was important to be able to show your classmates that you could take it. A point of pride. So it never really had a deterrent effect.

I think we should be allowed to beat the cr@p out of retired teachers. After all, they belted children day in day out. Sauce for the goose and sauce for the gander.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:38 am

Cazzie wrote:Nope - wouldn't like a teacher hitting my two.

Might be the mists of time and poor memory but I do believe teachers - in general- were more committed and professional in those days. yes there were some b******* but the enthusiastic teachers could really inspire pupils.

I've got two daughters coming to the end of secondary school education and I've found real inspirational teachers in the minority. For whatever reason it's happened, it's very sad. Teachers are demotivated and negative. In my years in HR I've interviewed a good few and the only reasons many of them stay in teaching is pension/holidays/salary. No way would I let them have a weapon!

Having said that - the few good teachers have really enriched my children's lives and you can't ever put a price on that.

I go along with that - being a self-confessed old fart, I do remember the sadistic shits that had great fun in gridning chalk to dust as a warning, and I've had a few two-fingered weals up my wrist in my time, but I also remember some teachers who did believe in me and inspired me later on in life. We did live in a gentler life then and I have no recollection of the wee swines that seem to make society's and teachers' life hell nowadays.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:47 pm

I just dont see how inflicting pain on a child can somehow "improve" a schoolkid.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Random Distractions