Crooked posties

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby mirad0rable » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:49 am

I sometimes wonder if it is a big city issue. The town I moved up from wasn't huge by any means, but neither was it small. Our Post Lady was excellent, regular time of delivery, always a hello and a smile if she saw you on the street, whether she knew you or not, rain, shine, diabolical blizzard notwithstanding.

When she took her holidays, even the guys who took her shifts endevoured to get our post to us. Might have been later, but it got there. It wasn't perfect, but it was a good service.

Up here, I'm never sure if I'm getting my post at all. Last Thursday, I heard the letter box go, so I went an retrieved the mail, and could hear the postie going up to the higher floors. Less than 5 mins later, the mailbox went again. Another letter for us. How could he have missed it?

I do kind of feel sorry for the posties though. Imagine not only carrying those sacks, but having to be up and down all those flights of stairs, day in, day out. And I can tell you that an awful lot of people in England haven't a clue when it comes to addressing things like floor and flat numbers. We're so used to the 1A, 1B etc system.
mirad0rable
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby riot grrl » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:27 pm

I think it probably is more of a problem in the cities these days. As the other guy quite rightly pointed out, Royal Mail take on a lot of temporary staff these days, high turnover of staff and so on. It's total shite.

I wrote a letter of complaint about all my mail that was going astray and they compensated me with a book of 12 x first class stamps. My neighbour only got a book of 4 stamps. She said my letter must have been really good to get 12 stamps ::):
riot grrl
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby ghiribizzo » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:49 pm

The anonymity of the 'big city' mebbe is a problem. I had that hassle when I was in a flat in Dumbarton. Door entry? If they couldn't get it open they just didn't bother even trying the buzzer to see if anybody was in at any of the 9 flats. Hmm.
Now in 'small town' it's a lot easier. One of my friends is a postie-ess but I've never needed to call on her to sort out any hassles with the guy that is the usual man.
Turning that on its head, I played about with SmartStamp from them. Basically you print your own label/envelope with your company or personal logo on it off yer PC.
The cost is £4.99 a month or about £49 a year so you're paying to do their work. I couldn't resist a play so tried the trial option as there was some stuff to go on eBay.
Dead easy. Put in the weight, what it is - p. matter/packet or whatever and where it's going. US in one case and hey presto it's all done.
But cheese and rice... what a hassle when I handed them in! Oh, they wanted to weigh the stuff etc etc. The biddy on the counter had never come across such stuff and didn't believe that it was genuine!
It got to the stage of saying that if she did not accept them 'as is' I would go direct to the Postmaster in Dundee. (Oooh, big city...)
It shouldn't be that hard.
::):
ghiribizzo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hazy » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:38 pm

I reckon the Evening times today is just a wee bit late in covering this story. Its been happening for years. I still blame these unts for my tickets being lost in the so called post. :x
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:30 pm

Jupiter-Returns wrote:I've still not received by Beano Membership and Badge.

Sent away for it it 1984, I'm sure it was 'lost in the post' either that or my maw never sent for it and swiped my pocket money.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'd visit them

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Crooked posties

Postby RDR » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:47 pm

Our postie isn't crooked.
I think he is just plain slow.
I doubt he can read or write very well and he has problems telling numbers.
The net result is that mail is frequently wrongly delivered.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:54 pm

Not sure if EK has crooked posties or if I"ve just got obnoxious relatives who don't acknowledge gifts.
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:56 pm

Yet again last week I had parcels left under my fucking doormat.

Under the doormat .. in a fucking close .. one flight up in a four storey building.

If I could catch the cunt doing it he'd get a sore face.

The last time he did it I had ordered over a hundred quids worth of training tops and shorts and yeah, he did just lift the mat and put them underneath.

The mat was six inches off the deck ffs.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:53 pm

I need to be pretty discreet about people's personal details here and I am not for one second trying to tarnish the reputation of Postal workers, most of whom face the bleakest of employment futures under the grimmest of working enviroments.

As a favour I look after houses in the Giffnock and Muirend areas checking the security, mail, gardens and so on for people who, for various reasons, work away for long periods.

I have lost count of the number of times that items of mail that are obviously financial (bank correspondence and such like) have been left lying in the letterbox - whether flapping in the inside of the door or outward) whereas non financial mail is inevitably sitting on the inside of the door. Speaking to neighbours in these properties this seems to be a common practice.

Trying to be conciliatory I called the sorting office on two occasions explaining that I did not want to approach the Daily Mail or Evening Times to highlight the potential financial fraud being perpetrated against the likes of service personnel currently stationed in war zones. Sadly neither call achieved the slightest difference.

True what they say about one or two bad apples because I am now considering, shall we say, tackling the issue at source to resolve said problem. It happens too often to be coincidental, especially considering the neighbours who tell similar tales when they have been on holiday.

As a proud union man I would never shit on a group of people en masse but what can you do? All advice appreciated.
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:15 pm

jodieohdoh wrote:Not sure if EK has crooked posties or if I"ve just got obnoxious relatives who don't acknowledge gifts.

I'd be disappointed if that were the case :(
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:44 am

i found a small package in the the street that the postie had dropped and i took it to the persons door.two weeks later a stranger turned up at my place doing the exact same thing.i mentioned it to my next door neighbour who is a postie and he told me this should not be able to happen as the posties use a code to remind them if they have any small packages with them on their run for delivery.he explained to me how it worked and it was so simple .how it goes wrong is beyond me.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:33 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
jodieohdoh wrote:Not sure if EK has crooked posties or if I"ve just got obnoxious relatives who don't acknowledge gifts.

I'd be disappointed if that were the case :(

On the other side 8)
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Random Distractions