Rebus

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Rebus

Postby smartie » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:07 pm

I take it there are no suitable estates like the Red Row in Edinburgh then ??? :?
smartie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:25 pm

Spent the whole programme last night trying to think that it was anywhere else other than Red Road, but couldn't think of any flats as high as that in Edinburgh. They did a good job of labelling everything up as City of Edinburgh though.
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toaster » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:33 pm

The fact that some of the blocks are pretty much empty probably also attracted the film-makers. That and only having a wee short drive from Cowcaddens. There was a nice tracking shot from above Rebus' head, when he found the big Kosovan in the bath, that probably required gutting half the flat!

Actually, on the short trip from Cowcaddens point, wasn't St Aloysius RC Church on Rose Street in the episode as well?
Toaster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:16 pm

Watch out for the Glasgow Museum Resource Centre in a future Rebus. My contacts tell me filming took place there a short time ago.

Incidently whilst we are on the subject did anyone notice scenes fillmed in the Mitchell Library on "Only An Excuse" at New Year?
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:02 pm

::):
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:24 am

Alex Glass wrote:Incidently whilst we are on the subject did anyone notice scenes fillmed in the Mitchell Library on "Only An Excuse" at New Year?

Aye.

I never realised that was the Red Road/Row/things! Shows what I know, when my flatmate asked "Is that supposed to be Scotland?" I answered. "I guess it's Western Hailes or somewhere..." :oops: ::):
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:04 am

Red Row indeed sounds like a posh part of Edinburgh ::):
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby macca734 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:11 pm

Absolutely nothing like the book. I've read nearly all of Rankins Rebus series and the only similarity with Fleshmarket Close was the title and someone in it called Yurgii.

Ken Stott makes a crap Rebus too.
Last edited by macca734 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sui Generis
macca734
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:46 pm

macca734 wrote:Absolutely nothing like the book. I've read nearly all of Rankins Rebus serious and the only similarity with Fleshmarket Close was the title and someone in it called Yurgii.

I agree, The Falls adaptation was worse though! They'd make good films I think, but an hour or so just isn't enough time. :?

What annoys me most is the Hibs scarf over Rebus's bed - why? He only goes the football with Siobhan and isn't bothered much about football!

Sorry, could rant about this for quite a while.... :roll:
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:21 pm

Hannah is a far better Rebus IMHO.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:57 pm

Roxburgh wrote:Hannah is a far better Rebus IMHO.

Neither of them are bang on the money, I think Hannah is a bit too young and fit looking!
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby macca734 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:13 pm

Ally Doll wrote:
macca734 wrote:Absolutely nothing like the book. I've read nearly all of Rankins Rebus serious and the only similarity with Fleshmarket Close was the title and someone in it called Yurgii.

I agree, The Falls adaptation was worse though! They'd make good films I think, but an hour or so just isn't enough time. :?

What annoys me most is the Hibs scarf over Rebus's bed - why? He only goes the football with Siobhan and isn't bothered much about football!

Sorry, could rant about this for quite a while.... :roll:

What annoys me is that the producers didnt get the whole point of the books. Observation without judgement, nuance, development of thought etc. If they cant even get the location right they have no chance of staying faithful to that feeling you get when you finish a Rebus novel. I was so fucked off I turned it over.

Mark McManus was the ideal Taggart (incidentally, he was a stolen charcter too; Jack Laidlaw from the William McIlvanney books) but Rebus has more depth and more dimension. The books are more than just the mysteries being solved. I think James Cosmo or that wee guy who always playes a gangster in everything, and whose name escapes me would be perfect Rebuses.
Sui Generis
macca734
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tommytank » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:14 pm

macca734 wrote:... or that wee guy who always playes a gangster in everything, and whose name escapes me would be perfect Rebuses.

you mean al pacino? :? :wink:
tommytank
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:09 pm

Mark McManus was the ideal Taggart (incidentally, he was a stolen charcter too; Jack Laidlaw from the William McIlvanney books

I have a vague memory of Mark McManus (Taggart) being in a cop series from England before Taggart started. I also recall from the first programme that there was mention of him returning to Glasgow after a period in England and not being happy about his return to Glasgow.

Taggart was filmed in Priesthill about 18 months ago. They relocated the area to somewhere in the East End and used a building site where new houses were being built. I also remember seeing a programme once can't remember what it was but they filmed in the basement of the old church the former location of Trash. The interesting thing was the basement led to the necropolis. A bit of a stretch of the imagination.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:45 pm

there was a bit of the falls filmed outside where the old kwik save on sheildhall road ,drumoyne was , when rebus and siobhan were at the snack van and rebus made the comment about the tea tasting like pish
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions