Ask Alex

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Ask Alex

Postby nodrog » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:27 pm

Hi to everyone

I am Alex Glass a Councillor on Glasgow City Council. I am interested in hearing and reading the views of people interested in Glasgow and this site certainly has lots to offer.

I was born in the Cowcaddens area and moved to Ruchazie as part of the slum clearances in the 1960's. I left Glasgow for a couple of years and returned to live in the Southside.

As a member of the Council's Planning Committee I take responsibility for some of the decisions in recent years that may have upset some people and would be happy to discuss my views with anyone interested in listening.

I look forward to finding out more about this fantastic site.

Welcome to HG Alex. I thought this deserved a new thread rather than burying it in the Introduce Yourself one.

I have a couple of questions about planning etc I hope you might be able to answer. Firstly, is there any plans to modernise certain aspects of the system - for example at the moment, the only way applications are publicised is by a printed ad in the Evening Times on a Friday.
Couldn't this information be published on the web as well?

In fact, is there any chance we could get an e-planning system like Edinburgh Council has - theirs puts Glasgow's online offerings to shame, and allows searches by application or building, and lists all the planning applications past or present. For current applications it even lets you view the plans and documents online - very useful! With Glasgow, stuff only appears on the web after the committee have made their decisions.

Thanks for your time and I'm sure there will be questions from others as well...

Gordon
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:37 pm

Hi nodrog

The Scottish Executive have been consulting on the planning system and I beleive will be publishing a bill very soon, if they haven't already done so. Regarding Glasgow's arrangements for publisising application. All Community Councils are provided with lists for their area. I receive a weekly list of new aplications. I will check if this is available on the Council's website.

Glasgow has a number of IT projects on the go as part of their e.government strategy. The department is currently examining how best to improve the process and are considering online applications.

I will get the information and make it available for you.

It should be noted that Glasgow is currently reviewing the City Plan. This document sets out the policy for any future developments and is reviewed every 5 years. Some HG members have commented about the decisions taken by the Council. They should take a look at the City Plan and take part in the consultation. When the Council last reviewed the Area Plans to create the City Plan a Local Plan Enquiry took place before the Plan was adopted. Check out Glasgow City Council's website for information.

I hope this goes some way toward answering your question. I will come back with more information later.

Alex
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:59 pm

Mr Glass,

Having seen the buildings/developments due for completion at the end of the decade, I often wonder why permission is granted for wholly incongruous edifices to be constructed in areas of (former) architectural heritage.

A classic example being the current Royal Bank of Scotland building opposite the Gallery of Modern Art in Royal Exchange Square. This brutalist structure (which, for no apparent reason, replaced the ornate linen bank building some time ago) is to be replaced with an equally hideous pile of masonry by Reid Architects. See the following photo:

What, exactly, goes through the Council’s collective mind when determining whether to grant permission for such an unsightly thing?

I understand that this is largely a subjective issue, however the fundamental aesthetic appeal of Glasgow is being quickly eroded by this and the MANY other structures in and around some of our fair City’s most historic sites.
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:10 pm

Hi Timchilli

As you point out your opinion may differ from others. As I said previously we are bound by the limitations set out in the City Plan. If a Planning Application meets the policies laid down we have a duty to approve the application. If you want to improve on the architecture of the City maybe you should direct your comments to the architect.

I wonder what people thought of Rennie Macintosh's work befor he became famous.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:15 pm

The old British Linen Bank was structurally unsound (compounded by the addition of two upper stories) at the time of demolition, hence why the decision was taken. The structure which replaced it is simply a product of its time, as was the Linen Bank and as is the illustrated proposal.

Welcome to the forums Alex and thanks for putting yourself out there: I hope no-one gives you too hard a time on here! Now where did I put that dossier of dodgy planning approvals...

:wink:
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Socceroo » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:52 pm

I suppose it's all a matter of opinion Timchilli, i actually like the design for the proposed new building at the corner of Ingram Street and Queen Street. I like it when we get quality new builds sitting in amongst the old retained Victorian ones. It gives the city a very vibrant feel to it.

It certainly knocks spots off what is there at present.

The Victorians were great ones for clearing buildings from previous generations to make way for their developments.

What would you like to see there?
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:55 pm

Are there any colour pictures? I'm not overly keen on what is there now (I don't mind the inside), but this new building seems a bit overpowering, especially with the work that has been done to make Royal Exchange Square seem all continental and touristy.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:56 pm

Sorry, meant to say welcome aboard Alex Glass hope you enjoy the forums.

Brave man. :D
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:10 pm

Alex Glass wrote:Hi Timchilli

As you point out your opinion may differ from others. As I said previously we are bound by the limitations set out in the City Plan. If a Planning Application meets the policies laid down we have a duty to approve the application. If you want to improve on the architecture of the City maybe you should direct your comments to the architect.

I wonder what people thought of Rennie Macintosh's work befor he became famous.

Mr Glass, thanks for responding.

So the Council has no input regarding the appearance of proposed developments, so long as they conform to the criteria of the City Plan?

Yes, it is a subjective argument, but I fail to see why bland modern buildings should replace the timeless aesthetic appeal of neo-classical architecture. Looking at 1960s/1970s builds is evidence enough that they are no longer suited to current Glasgow. Whereas St Andrews in the Square, the Elgin Place Congregational Church (RIP), etc. etc. remain impressive and pleasing to the eye. If nothing else, it would save having to replace buildings every 15 or so years.

Rennie Mac has also survived the test of time.

Tim
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby escotregen » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:16 pm

I want to add my thanks and appreciation to Alex for coming on board. I advised Alex recently about the existance of the site (including some of the 'robust' things that we have at times posted!).

I think this represents a major opportunity for HG folks to build up a constructive and influencing-for-the-good link here. We have in the past debated how we might establish such links and the opportunity has come our way :) .

This approach from Alex is also testimony to the excellent early founding work of Sharon and her partner, and the others who have helped, in creating and establishing Hidden Glasgow.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

alex

Postby hazy » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:46 pm

Welcome Alex. You have put your head above the parapet mate so expect the flak. Im on the night shift so no time to rant at the moment but I will be soon.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:02 pm

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome.

I hope that any response or contribution I make does not get taken as an offical response from the Council. Like everyone else I am giving my opinion and where possible my understanding of processes I am involved with. If I am wrong I don't mind someone pointing that out to me.

In response to nodrog's earlier comment here is the location of the weekly Planning Applications List. http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Business/Planning_Development/DevelopmentControl. Hope this is helpful to anyone who wishes to seewho has made an application.

Alex
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flash_Andy » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:24 pm

Hello Alex.!

Working in Glasgow, I'm disgusted by the amount of Graffiti on buildings, for example " The Holiday Inn Express on Stockwell Street" was hit by Graffiti artists a few months back.! They obviously climbed a pole that is beside the Scotia Bar and once on the roof of the Scotia they defaced the side of The Holiday Inn Express.!

Do you have people who look at things like this, who try to see places where Graffiti artists are likely to attack and take action to prevent them from doing their destruction in the first place.?

Glasgow Council seems to paint over Graffiti, leaving it open for attack again.! I was thinking for example.... at high walls and tennement ends, where possible, why don't you plant some sort of thick growing Ivy, or high growing bushes to prevent the artist from getting near the wall in the first place.? It would also enchance Glasgow's claim as "the dear green place".
Flash_Andy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dazza » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:28 pm

Flash_Andy wrote:at high walls and tennement ends, where possible, why don't you plant some sort of thick growing Ivy, or high growing bushes to prevent the artist from getting near the wall in the first place.? It would also enchance Glasgow's claim as "the dear green place"

Are you having a laugh?
dazza
-
-

Postby DVF » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:10 am

I quite like the building on the corner of Ingram Street and Queen Street. It just needs a clean and a lick of paint.

I'll ask my questions later. I'm too tired to make sense right now.
The hill goes up and down.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions