Ask Alex

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby nodrog » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:17 pm

Alex Glass wrote:In response to nodrog's earlier comment here is the location of the weekly Planning Applications List. http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Business/Planning_Development/DevelopmentControl. Hope this is helpful to anyone who wishes to seewho has made an application.
Alex

Excellent, thank you for that!

Gordon
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

quesrtion to Mr. Glass

Postby swavmcav » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:23 pm

Mr Glass,

I hope you can provide an insight into what can or cannot be imposed on developers as part of planning approval.

I am interested in the disposal of the Jordanhill campus by Strathclyde University. I have no doubt that this prime site will attract housing developers and I have no objection to developers replacing much of the rag tag 60's/70's instituationalised building with flats and houses.

My question is can the council impose conditions on the developer, when approval is eventually sought from the planning department, to retain the magnificant expanse of greenery that surrounds the college and in particular the playing fields and green space to the east.

Is there a way in which this area can be safeguarded for the community e.g. designated a park of some sort?

Is there a way in which the developer can be made to improve access to this area for the community?

If so how can an individual/ community group make sure that these concerns are taken on board when any planning proposal is eventually submitted.

I'm just an interested local resident and I would love to see some positive benefit come from this such as an easily accesible park for public use (at the moment although the green space is there it is not easily accessible and is probably not really for public use either).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
swavmcav
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Socceroo » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:24 pm

Hi Alex,

McLellan Galleries, can you shed any light on the fact the Galleries are closed at present. Is the current closure temporary or is it for the longer term?

Cheers

Socceroo
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:31 pm

Hi swavncav

I would refer you to the City Plan. This has information regarding what restrictions can be placed on a developerof a particular site. There are maps included within the City Plan and these show the zoning of each area of land within Glasgow. If you look at the map and see the details relating to the Jordanhill campus and crossreference this with the relevant section of the City Plan you should be able to have the information you need regarding restrictions.

It should however be pointed out that a developer can apply to have this classification changed in order to develop a site. This would need to be advertised and I would refer you to the link on the Glasgow City Council website in one of my previous postings.

The local Community Council is a statutory consultee on any planning applications within it's area. They regularly put forward objections to planning applications. Their meeting should be advertised in the local area and will be open to the public as are all Council meetings including Development & Regeneration, Sub Committee Development Applications. The committee meet every Tuesday at 11.00am in the City Chambers. No member of the public is allowed to speak unless there is a Hearing about a spacific application. Then up to two objectors who have submitted objections can speak on behalf of other objectors.

I am sure that the Jordonhill Campus will be watched with interest by everyone including the local Councillor.

Hope this is helpful.

Alex
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowgub » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:43 pm

Hi Alex, welcome, your a brave man! I was wondering with work started on building the new Victoria Infirmary , whats to become of the old building? Are there any plans? It would be such a shame to see this piece of victorian architecture demolished...
glasgowgub
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:09 pm

Hi glasgowgub

I am not aware of any plans for the old building at the Victoria. I am sure that it is a listed building and needs to be treated sensitively. NHS Greater Glasgow are the owners of the building but would need to lodge any plans to demolish or redevelop any of the buildings.

I know that most people do not beleive we take care of listed building they way that we should but, this site is one I feel would attracts a lot of attention if nothing happened.

I will try and find out if any plans have been discussed with the Council and get back to you.

Alex
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:14 pm

Hi Socceroo

I beleive that the closure is temporary due to the removal of the Glasgow Collection that was on display during the closure of Kelvingrove.

With the paintings now being returned to Kelvengrove I am sure that the McLellan Gallery is preparing for their next exibition.

I will find out when it is due to open again and get back to you.

Alex
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:26 pm

Cheers Alex,

Thanks for that.

Regards

Socceroo
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowgub » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:30 pm

Alex Glass wrote:Hi glasgowgub

I am not aware of any plans for the old building at the Victoria. I am sure that it is a listed building and needs to be treated sensitively. NHS Greater Glasgow are the owners of the building but would need to lodge any plans to demolish or redevelop any of the buildings.

I know that most people do not beleive we take care of listed building they way that we should but, this site is one I feel would attracts a lot of attention if nothing happened.

I will try and find out if any plans have been discussed with the Council and get back to you.

Alex
Cheers :)
glasgowgub
First Stripe
First Stripe

alex

Postby hazy » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:51 am

Hi Alex. saw an application for the B&Q at Anniesland for a food and non food store. Who got the site
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:01 am

Alex, where does the council stand regarding Roderick David Stewart :?:

Fossil
Fossil
-
-

alex

Postby hazy » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:21 am

Hey MF good morning
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:51 am

Morning :)
Fossil
-
-

Re: alex

Postby glasgowken » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:13 am

hazy wrote:Hi Alex. saw an application for the B&Q at Anniesland for a food and non food store. Who got the site

I heard the school next door was going to extend into the site.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:08 pm

Hi Hazy and Modern Fossil

I don't know about this site but will see what I can find out. Anniesland is not part of my area so I don't know what is planned until we receive an application at the committee.

Regarding Rod Stewart, I think most people in the Council will like him for the support he shows not only to the Scotland team but also to that team in the East End of the city. Althought those who are followers of that other team in the South West may not be so keen on him.

For me he was at his best when he was lead singer with the Faces. Now he appears to have grown old gracefully although he did has his moments that were not so graceful.

Good luck to him and his new baby. Lets hope he does the decent thing and get married.

Alex
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions