Ask Alex

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Ask Alex

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:25 am

Argue away Alex, everyone else does ::): To be fair, I've never seen or heard of anyone getting hassle in George Sq either, but I was told when making enquiries on behalf of a charitable organistaion I was secretary for that technically this is the case :) The rock steady guy was probably just bored ::):
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:07 am

Maybe it had more to do with taking photographs of kids, everyone is so paranoid these days.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:26 am

I must admit this years square is looking fantastic. 8)
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:45 pm

238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:49 pm

I'll no be asking anyone for permission to take photos in a Glasgow park.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:34 pm

Neither should you, you own them after all.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:57 pm

Fossil wrote:I must admit this years square is looking fantastic. 8)

Thought I would just remind everyone what Fos said :D :D :D

I wont be asking permission to take photos in the parks either but I alway try to avoid taking photos of children.

It reminds me of a day when I was taking photos of a council building in the East End when the caretaker approached me to ask what I was doing. I avoided the temptation to say something else in response. He then told me I wasn't allowed to take photos of any Council building. When I said I think he will find that he was wrong he was on the verge of getting a bit shirty so I showed him my Council ID and explained that I had never heard of such a restriction. once we had got over the initial converstation he then offered to allow me to take a photo of the old plaque which had previously been on display about a re-opening of the building following renovation.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:49 am

Alex Glass wrote:
Fossil wrote:I must admit this years square is looking fantastic. 8)

Thought I would just remind everyone what Fos said :D :D :D

I wont be asking permission to take photos in the parks either but I alway try to avoid taking photos of children.

It reminds me of a day when I was taking photos of a council building in the East End when the caretaker approached me to ask what I was doing. I avoided the temptation to say something else in response. He then told me I wasn't allowed to take photos of any Council building. When I said I think he will find that he was wrong he was on the verge of getting a bit shirty so I showed him my Council ID and explained that I had never heard of such a restriction. once we had got over the initial converstation he then offered to allow me to take a photo of the old plaque which had previously been on display about a re-opening of the building following renovation.

Is there a particular reason why the Council continues to employ such jobsworths as caretakers, janitors etc or is it that only dipsticks will do it for the money?

If the prime requirement for fair treatment is a councillors' ID then I suspect the rest of us may all be up shit creek without a paddle
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:11 am

onyirtodd wrote:
Is there a particular reason why the Council continues to employ such jobsworths as caretakers, janitors etc or is it that only dipsticks will do it for the money?

If the prime requirement for fair treatment is a councillors' ID then I suspect the rest of us may all be up shit creek without a paddle

Most of them are OK and very few of them are actually employed by the Council but a few of the old school are kept for the tourist trade.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:57 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:

Most of them are OK and very few of them are actually employed by the Council but a few of the old school are kept for the tourist trade.

::):
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:33 pm

Following the discussion about taking photos at the skating I understand that Security people will point out to photographers that when taking photos of children you require to have the parents permission.

As the Square is an open public space it is not possible to stop people from taking photos.

This is just an early response to an enquiry I made if I receive any further information I will post up the details.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:35 am

onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:16 pm

Alex Glass wrote:Following the discussion about taking photos at the skating I understand that Security people will point out to photographers that when taking photos of children you require to have the parents permission.

As the Square is an open public space it is not possible to stop people from taking photos.

This is just an early response to an enquiry I made if I receive any further information I will post up the details.

Thanks Alex - I've now also got a contact at C&S thanks to some of the guys on Flickr - so shouldn't have any difficulties at future events.

PS. No permission is required to take pictures of people in a public place. Permission of the subject of a photograph is required in order to publish it (unless for editorial purposes). The age of the subject is irrelevant to the need for permission it only alters who can give the permission.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bex Bissell » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:21 am

Some have theorized that in the future, hydrogen might replace some fuels. With the introduction of hydrogen fuel cell technology, the use of internal combustion engines may be phased out. One advantage of hydrogen is that its combustion produces only water.This is unlike the combustion of fossil fuels, which produce carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide resulting from incomplete combustion; and other local and atmospheric pollutants such as sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxides that lead to urban respiratoiry problems, acid rain, and ozone gas problems. However, free hydrogen for fuel does not occur naturally, and oxidizing it liberates less energy than it takes to produce hydrogen in the first place, due to the second law of thermodynamics. Also, that if the atmosphere is used as the oxidizer in high temperature combustion, the resultant nitrogen oxide byproducts must be reduced by an appropriate catalytic converter.

My question or should I say quandary is, should I buy shares in BOC Gasses?
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:52 pm

Museum's Opening Times:

I was rather taken aback to be chucked out of the Museum of Transport at 13:00 on the 31st December as were a number of tourists. So I took a wee wander across the road to Kelvingrove only to be find a badly photocopied notice on the door telling me they too were closed

"Come to Scotland for Hogmanay" they were told - of course no-one told them it would be shut after lunch time.

I realise that the staff would want to spend time with their families and prepare for New Year but they don't have the longest opening times normally and the 31st isn't officially a holiday (local or otherwise) so surely they could do a bit better than 1pm so as not to disappoint the visitors that we are spending so much money to bring to our city.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions