Why do people in Glasgow keep voting Labour?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Why do people in Glasgow keep voting Labour?

Postby Donald M » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:10 pm

Sorry not sure if this topic has been done before.

Just seems weird to me that people keep voting for the British Labour Party when they seemed to have failed the city so badly.

Thoughts?
Donald M
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Schiehallion » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:17 pm

You would understand if you ever canvassed around the doors at election time. The amount of women who openly say they'll "vote what my husband votes" and the amount of men and women who'll only vote the way their Dad (and sometimes Grandad) used to vote is absolutely astounding.

In other words...baaaa baaaa baaaa
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Donald M » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:28 pm

Yeah I'm sure you are right. It just seems surprising that the likes of Gordon can get in as well as McVeety when they offer so little.

Seems to me that we need to raise expectations and hopes for the future.
Donald M
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby My Kitten » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:44 pm

Well theres that and the thought that you are wasting a vote on someone else as everyone else will be voting labour so your vote for mr liberal is wasted.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:50 pm

Who else would you want to vote for :?
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:59 pm

I've never voted Labour.... but I'd rather see Labour in power than going back to the dark days of the Torries
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:58 pm

Are these days not dark. At least when the Tories were in power people gave a damn about how things were going. Now we just sit here and either 'dont know' about politics or attack any criticism of the Tory economic system (if such criticism exists as the parties aim to act more and more like each other and move to the centre-right ground).
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:17 pm

Vladimir wrote:Are these days not dark. At least when the Tories were in power people gave a damn about how things were going. Now we just sit here and either 'dont know' about politics or attack any criticism of the Tory economic system (if such criticism exists as the parties aim to act more and more like each other and move to the centre-right ground).

It's true that ordinary folk are less politicised. I can't see how to change this. People now are just accepting the squalor they are in and either not bothering to vote to change the situation or continuing to vote Labour. Can folk not look about them and connect generations of Labour rule in Glasgow with their own circumstances?! :evil: :evil:
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:17 pm

Escotregen wrote about this phenomonen quite eloquently (as usual) in the Jobs at Glasgow City Council thread.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:21 pm

It's true that ordinary folk are less politicised. I can't see how to change this. People now are just accepting the squalor they are in and either not bothering to vote to change the situation or continuing to vote Labour. Can folk not look about them and connect generations of Labour rule in Glasgow with their own circumstances?!

Just imagine the Tories had been in power 8O Mind you, if they had been in power for a while (in Scotland) it might have given Labour enough of a shock to get back to their original principles. Unless of course they managed to create a 'Tony Blair' somewhere along the way.
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:24 pm

Vladimir wrote:
It's true that ordinary folk are less politicised. I can't see how to change this. People now are just accepting the squalor they are in and either not bothering to vote to change the situation or continuing to vote Labour. Can folk not look about them and connect generations of Labour rule in Glasgow with their own circumstances?!

Just imagine the Tories had been in power 8O

Either way, it doesn't matter who was in power. The point is that they have maintained their position all this time.

Power corrupts.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:26 pm

Plus Labour and the Tories are indistinguishable now anyway...
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Do we share membership with a golf club?

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:06 pm

Schiehallion wrote:You would understand if you ever canvassed around the doors at election time. The amount of women who openly say they'll "vote what my husband votes" and the amount of men and women who'll only vote the way their Dad (and sometimes Grandad) used to vote is absolutely astounding.

In other words...baaaa baaaa baaaa

When and where were you canvassing? And for whom, Tam Galbraith?

I had a young goth, a twenty year old guy and a female householder advising me they woul be voting Conservative. This is the West End of course. Others mentioned how they would not be voting for Tommy Sheridan's lot. Others expressed a preference for the Nats and most opted for Labour who won the By election. None of them mentioned husbands, dads, grandads or had wool on their backs.

We'll see what happens at the next council elections when the electorate are faced with a single transferable vote system. Unless of course you chauvinists think that might be too complicated for them.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Donald M » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:16 pm

Why not vote for the SNP?

At least they actually beleive in making decisions for Scotland IN Scotland. To me, the idea that Scotland including Glasgow, can't run itself is totally wrong. It's about being positive. Under independence things would be vastly improved not least people's attitude to their own lives.

Probably the main reason people vote Labour is due to the massive propoganda pedalled through the likes of the Daily Record. Although I see that Jack McConnel is now on about Scotland being self-sufficient - welcome aboard Jack!
Donald M
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Vladimir » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:26 pm

If you want evidence of New Labour propaganda, look no further then the Evening Times :x I agree about the SNP. We need only vote for them once, then there would be a parliament with all different aspects of political opinion by the next election. But this time it would be Scottish.
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions