Why do people in Glasgow keep voting Labour?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:03 pm

Vladimir wrote:Vote SNP once. Get independence. The rest of history there will be the whole spectrum of parties in Scotland to vote for...

I've said this elsewhere so I'll say it here.

Nobody with any political influence has any interest in independence and nobody with any interest in independence has any political power.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:22 pm

onyirtodd wrote:Nobody with any political influence has any interest in independence and nobody with any interest in independence has any political power

Which sounds an awful like a saying an old gaffer of mine used to frequently use:
"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"

A philosophy that could I suppose be applied to more than one topic currently being discussed.
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bex Bissell » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:21 am

As per my post on page 8, it appears that Mr P T Barnum Galloway had the same idea as me, good on you George, appeal to the young un's and culturaly sub norm.

taken from bbc
Reaction in his Bethnal Green and Bow was mixed. Some said the MP had let them down and made "a fool of himself".
"I represent a different kind of politics," Mr Galloway told a press conference following his exit, after a three-week stay in the house. :?

Speaking to presenter Davina McCall, Mr Galloway said: "I don't believe that talking to parliamentarians, the current crop of parliamentarians, is very important. ::):
"Our task is to take politics to the people. That's what I do for a living, and that's what I will continue to do."

Firstly, I though his constituancy was Fuengarola and Benalmadena, in the borough of Algarve?

But there are some questions that need asking like, what kind of politics does he represent? he has missed some important matters like the London Crossrail scheme that has direct effect on his constituancy. oops!

As a politician he's dosnt feel that it's important talking to the current crop of other elected memebers in the house about matters of public concern. It's one of the fundamental things you've got to do, even if you dont like them.
Perhaps he would rather prefer another crop of people in the House to debate with? Boy George, Ant n Dec, "it's Chico time" Chico, no I would imagine he'd prefer a more mature bunch like Lenny Bennet, Joe Longthorne and Mick Miller.

Populist Politics, thats it! just shout "roll up roll up, stop the war", and appeal directly to that mob I identified on page 8 and your nearly there, fair play to him for giving it a go.
I bet when he gets home though his missus takes him straight down the Battersea cat n dug home.
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:11 pm

Roxburgh wrote:Silicon Glen was all about low skill assembly lines. The real high skill - high quality jobs stayed firmly in the USA/Japan/etc. Those jobs are going as lower cost locations come on stream.

Untrue. I worked in the electrical/electronic service sector for over 20 years, almost living inside some of those former 'stars' and while I wouldn't hesitate to agree with that comment with regard to the last few years, when foreign 'investors' were attracted here with money from local development pots, it would not be fair on either the early companies or their design staff to label then as 'screwdriver shops'.

It's not all silicon glen either. Remember Ferranti had 2 sites in Edinburgh, and Glenrothes was a hot spot too, attracting major names.

I visited a lot of comapnies in those years, often thinking I was in the wrong job as I saw their cash-rich design and development departments, from well known names like HP and Digital, to IPS, but I bet next to no-one ever heard of them while they were in Livingston.

Even Motorola's ill-fated Easter Inch facility was a major supporter of R&D work, it wasn't just an assembly as it was always featured in the news.

Sadly, the world's changed and the money's moved. Manufacturing provides the cash to support R&D, so when the manufacturing goes, even if it is only screwdrivering, the rest follows soon after.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Bright idea

Postby Donald M » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:35 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:I believe the pensioners in Angus are still waiting on the free lightbulbs (insert your own pun) they were promised by the SNP.

Apparently the people of Glasgow are still waiting to be dragged out of poverty. Maybe the continued lowering of life expectancy will kill all the doom laden Labour mongers off?
Donald M
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Donald M » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:36 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
Vladimir wrote:Vote SNP once. Get independence. The rest of history there will be the whole spectrum of parties in Scotland to vote for...

I've said this elsewhere so I'll say it here.

Nobody with any political influence has any interest in independence and nobody with any interest in independence has any political power.

Nice one, expect nothing and get nothing. I expect little from Labour and I am sure my expectations will be realised.

Imagine saying the like in anywhere other than Scotland. Get out a bit more!
Donald M
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Donald M » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:23 am

Good to see another Labour dimwit with no ambition for anything other than serving his party system is on the case, doh!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4651766.stm
Donald M
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Apollo » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:16 am

Just an observation from a largely non-political soul:

Recently, Scotland's First Minister Jack McConnell was forced to backtrack when the Chancellor of the Exchequer in Tony Blair's cabinet killed the Forth Road Bridge authority's proposal to increase tolls from £1 to £4 at peak times of the day.

Now, both the Chancellor and the UK Secretary of State for Transport both backed a second bridge across the river Forth. Both were in Scotland campaigning on behalf of the Labour candidate in the Dunfermline and West Fife by-election. Many voters in that constituency commute across the bridge to get to work in Edinburgh and surrounding area.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Still to be decided

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:07 am

Apollo wrote:Just an observation from a largely non-political soul:

Recently, Scotland's First Minister Jack McConnell was forced to backtrack when the Chancellor of the Exchequer in Tony Blair's cabinet killed the Forth Road Bridge authority's proposal to increase tolls from £1 to £4 at peak times of the day.

Now, both the Chancellor and the UK Secretary of State for Transport both backed a second bridge across the river Forth. Both were in Scotland campaigning on behalf of the Labour candidate in the Dunfermline and West Fife by-election. Many voters in that constituency commute across the bridge to get to work in Edinburgh and surrounding area.

For a so called non political soul there are several political thoughts above. Perhaps you meant non party political or Independent Conservatives as they are in the Highlands.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4650128.stm
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:34 am

No.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

post subject

Postby Alex Saville » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:37 pm

Why indeed? As a citizen of this city for all of my 59 years, I despair at what goes on in the city chambers. In this city, foreigners come first. Here in Springburn where I live, the trees in Sighthill cemetery are overgrown on Keppochhill Rd. Unless you are small, you have to walk on the road to get round them. Gutters on the same road and surrounding streets are clogged with dirt and have been that way for years. Piles of litter and rubbish at the corner of K/hill Rd and Endrick St. No money is available for overhauling the Public Halls. The museum in the old library was closed due to lack of funds. Of course, if the asylum seekers in Sighthill need anything, money is no problem. We have to be P.C. you see! The problem with the council is that they know it is highly unlikely they will ever be removed from power. People have given up with politics and only the young with ideals and the party faithful bother to vote. I was once young with ideals, now I'm older and wiser. Glaswegians have lost faith in politicians of all parties, likewise the rest of Scotland. After what Thacher did to Scots and Scotland you would have thought that independance would have no 1 on the agenda. In an independant Scotland it would have been guaranteed that we never have a Thatcher ever again! The bogey man of independence frightens the unionist parties, they in turn frighten the electorate. We get what we deserve. And what we deserve is what we have got. A council that cares not, sees nothing, and eats a splendid council tax provided meal every day!
A goverment that spends billions in Iraq while charities have to beg for money to do their good work. I read in a publication this morning about a man who stole his granny's giro. He said in court 'I just wanted to prove I could handle her money' He also apologised to the court for buying a mobile phone with the proceeds. He was admonished! You couldn't make it up! Could you! The courts are like the politicians, out of touch.
Ach, I'm a greetin face auld B****r!
Alex
Alex Saville
Alex Saville
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: post subject

Postby AlanM » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:42 pm

Alex Saville wrote:The problem with the council is that they know it is highly unlikely they will ever be removed from power.
Ach, I'm a greetin face auld B****r!
Alex

We'll see when the STV comes along how many of them are still there and I wouldn't be surprised if we had a council with no overall control by a single party.

I'll not argue with you on your last point :wink:
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Another xenophobic refugee from GlasgowGuide

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:48 pm

Alex Saville wrote:Why indeed? As a citizen of this city for all of my 59 years, I despair at what goes on in the city chambers. In this city, foreigners come first. No money is available for overhauling the Public Halls. The museum in the old library was closed due to lack of funds. Of course, if the asylum seekers in Sighthill need anything, money is no problem.
Alex

The Springburn Hall and The Museum were closed long before the recent batch of immigrants arrived. Maybe they used the money to house the Irish that flooded Springburn.

Since they arrived you have had a new secondary school, new primary schools are on their way along with a new college. There's a new sports centre, library, railway route, a retail centre and a learning centre.

Is the Orange Hall still going and the Masonic Hall still packing them in or has political thought moved on in Springburn?

Were you helping out in the Possil by election or could you not get time off your work?

What Springburn lacks are some decent pubs which i don't think are a council responsibility.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Another xenophobic refugee from GlasgowGuide

Postby Roxburgh » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:33 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Is the Orange Hall still going and the Masonic Hall still packing them in or has political thought moved on in Springburn?

What has this got to do with the original post? Trying a bit of sectarian slander?
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:39 pm

Image[/list]
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions