Why do people in Glasgow keep voting Labour?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Do we share membership with a golf club?

Postby Schiehallion » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:38 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Schiehallion wrote:You would understand if you ever canvassed around the doors at election time. The amount of women who openly say they'll "vote what my husband votes" and the amount of men and women who'll only vote the way their Dad (and sometimes Grandad) used to vote is absolutely astounding.

In other words...baaaa baaaa baaaa

When and where were you canvassing? And for whom, Tam Galbraith?

This was back in the late 80's / early 90's when politics were real. The days of Forsyth and Rifkind, Donald Umm Dewar and Brian Wilson, Sillars and Neil. The kind of mentalists that set fire to hotel curtains or cut about pished in tartan trews like Nicky Fairbairn.

The Cathcart constituency (Pollokshaws, Cathcart, Newlands, Castlemilk).
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:08 am

Schiehallion wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Schiehallion wrote:You would understand if you ever canvassed around the doors at election time. The amount of women who openly say they'll "vote what my husband votes" and the amount of men and women who'll only vote the way their Dad (and sometimes Grandad) used to vote is absolutely astounding.

In other words...baaaa baaaa baaaa

When and where were you canvassing? And for whom, Tam Galbraith?

This was back in the late 80's / early 90's when politics were real. The days of Forsyth and Rifkind, Donald Umm Dewar and Brian Wilson, Sillars and Neil. The kind of mentalists that set fire to hotel curtains or cut about pished in tartan trews like Nicky Fairbairn.

The Cathcart constituency (Pollokshaws, Cathcart, Newlands, Castlemilk).

:) Excellent! ::): Mentalists indeed..there are a few of these Scottish "politicians" that need a kick up the shunk with size 12 ski boots......who shall we start with? ::):
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:27 pm

The_Clincher wrote:
:) Excellent! ::): Mentalists indeed..there are a few of these Scottish "politicians" that need a kick up the shunk with size 12 ski boots......who shall we start with? ::):

Rosie Kane for starters quickly followed by Nicola Sturgeon
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:28 pm

Colin Fox. Anybody who dresses as Robin Hood and walks through the streets of Glasgow just before elections deserves to be shot :roll:
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lordsleek » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:29 pm

I Met Nicky Fairbairn once Lovely bloke completely crackers and quite pished (at lunchtime). As I said nice but you can see why he drove voters to labour :?
eeeeeewwwww whats that!
Can I touch it?
lordsleek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:51 pm

McShad wrote:I've never voted Labour.... but I'd rather see Labour in power than going back to the dark days of the Torries

Agree with this. Labour are total cunts, but (almost) anything is better than
those Tory basturts. :evil:

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Donald M » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:43 pm

Once we get our independence we wont be subject to Governments from down south. It's a mean to an end.
Donald M
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby My Kitten » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:51 pm

Donald M wrote:Once we get our independence we wont be subject to Governments from down south. It's a mean to an end.

Much as I'd like to agree with that, it wont happen. We can't run a piss up in a brewery. The parliament building i think sums us up. We do half measures, argue amongst ourselves and generally can't be arsed doing anything.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:01 pm

Donald M wrote:Once we get our independence we wont be subject to Governments from down south. It's a mean to an end.

Like the USA has no effect on Mexico .

And just exactly what is the end? tartan passports?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:04 pm

Look at Ireland. Thats all that needs to be said :?
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Donald M » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:45 pm

My Kitten wrote:

Much as I'd like to agree with that, it wont happen. We can't run a piss up in a brewery. The parliament building i think sums us up. We do half measures, argue amongst ourselves and generally can't be arsed doing anything.

Em, when you mean "we" I presume you mean the Lab/Lib Dem coalistion? That's the parties that NEVER want to see Scotland runs itself or control it's own economy? The parties that want to make sure that the people of Glasgow NEVER get to vote on sending their sons and daughters to war through the people elected to their parliament? The party that has kept large parts of Glasgow in poverty for ages?

Remember, it is not in the interests of Labour to empower or create and sense of independence in the people.

What country in the world would want to have many major decisions taken OUTSIDE itself?
Donald M
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Donald M » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:46 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:

Like the USA has no effect on Mexico .

And just exactly what is the end? tartan passports?

The end is and independent member of the EU, yes with a Scottish passport just like Ireland, Latvia, France, Denmark em, them all really.
Donald M
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Vladimir » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:56 pm

Remember, it is not in the interests of Labour to empower or create and sense of independence in the people.

Strange though, because thats what they seem to be doing. I see saltires everywhere in government adverts/propaganda that I never noticed before. I dont understand their intentions. What I dont like about this devolution is the way it is neither independence or run from Westminster. Its a bit of a waste of time really. That is until it becomes a proper parliament :?
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:57 pm

Vladimir wrote:

Strange though, because thats what they seem to be doing. I see saltires everywhere in government adverts/propaganda that I never noticed before. I dont understand their intentions. What I dont like about this devolution is the way it is neither independence or run from Westminster. Its a bit of a waste of time really. That is until it becomes a proper parliament :?

Their intentions were to take the sting out of indepenence seekers, or seperatists to use their language.

They were scared. They knew if they didn't do something. If they didn't turn the wee knob on top of the pressure cooker, things may blow.

So they devise a puppet parliament. Then the people think they're being listened to. A great way to calm people down. Give them a kid on parliament that can't resolve matters like defence. Can't even bring back the dog licence!

That's what devolution is. A stalling tool. A 'take the wind out the sail' tool.

It's very easy to quell unrest - let them think they're being listened to. It's enough for people just to think they're being listened to.

If you think I'm being cynical just watch those people pressing the wee crossing buttons on the yellow boxes at the Gordon St - Union St junction. You can almost hear the sigh of relief when the word 'wait' lights up. They think they're being listened to. They think their needs (to cross the road) are in a queue to be addressed. They never stop to consider that the lights are all phased for traffic flow. The green man was coming on anyway.

But as long as the wee 'wait' lights up, then the green man comes on then, like Pavlov's dog, they wag their tails and cross the road.

That's how easy it is to manipulate people's behaviour simply by giving the appearance of listening to them.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:37 am

Nice analysis. You see, if Scotland wanted this parliament why not just go that bit further and have full independence. A lot of people seem to think that something terrible might happen if we went it alone. What? There will be no civil war like in Ireland or elsewhere, which factions would fight against one another? What actual economic decline might happen that could possibly be that much worse than the kind of stagnation/decline we live in now.

My Kitten points out that we would be useless at running ourselfs, but thats just the problem. Thats how we think of ourselfs, as useless. Its pathetic, whan other countries laugh at our claims of nationality its not us believing that we are a nation thats a joke, rather that for some reason we dont have the courage to declare independence.

If someone would like to explain which deep rooted cultural ties to England we have Im all ears. All I can think of is what comes through our television sets. Turn them off for a while and we would be very alone...

Anyway... :roll:
Last edited by Vladimir on Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions