Train Timetables

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Train Timetables

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:35 pm

hazy wrote:First of all I am really surprised the train stops at Gilmour Street to pick up all you soap dodgers.

Cheeky wee scallywag Image
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

rail timetables

Postby hazy » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:18 pm

[quote="Bex Bissell"]Anyone on here work for 1st Scotbusrail hingmy jig?

Yo Bex . I work for that company and not a bad word against it . I am off from wed till next tuesaday. Brilliant job eh . And then after crimbo my 5 weeks of paid holiday start again. See our company web site add get a decent paid job.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bex Bissell » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:01 am

Steady Hazy, better not go counting the chickens, private company n all that, having to win buisness to maintain costs etc..
Only have to loose one big franchise and they'll be round looking for redundances.

I did take up your attractive offer and had a look at some of the jobs available but I am somewhat how would you say, "over qualified" for some of these jobs I'm affraid, I really would need to drive 3 or 4 busses at the same time to break even each month but thank you anyway, anyhoo why would I want to leave a job I enjoy at the moment flying about meeting interesting peole in some extraordinary companies.
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:49 pm

Och, but you are missing the point here, Bex, Hazy is an "Engineer" in other words, "A Mechanic with his brains bashed in"

I was standing in Gilmour St. Station yesterday morning, awaiting ( :roll: ) the Train to Glasgow when all of a sudden, one of those 10 mile long Freight Trains whooshed through the Station, you know the ones, an Engine and dozens of big grey container thingys folowing behind. A light rain was falling, and this, in conjunction with the Coal being carried, produced the most wonderful aroma of the 1950's / 60's, the station was engulfed in it, you could taste the memory of Coal dust, of Brickets, of Dross, of Childhood, wonderful pinpoint in time. Anyway, my question is: Where do these Coal carriers originate from & what is their final destination? As my Train approached Glasgow Central, the Freight Train passed underneath us, heading South? Until then I had not realised that there was a track underneath our line.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:40 pm

Hi Hollowhorn

The train you saw was General Motors class 66 no.66110 on the 10.02 7G15 08.20 Hunterston - Longannet Power Station with 38 Loaded Hoppers of imported coal on what is know as a "Merry-go Round" (MGR) service run by EWS (English Welsh and Scottish Railways). Spotted by a colleague at Rutherglen and posted to the Yahoo Scotrail group.
The track underneath at Shields Junction is known as the "Burma Road" adn allows the freights to reach the line to Rutherglen without conflicting with passenger services on the line into Central.

JBH
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:37 pm

Excellent answer, as usual, JBH, and thanks for taking the time, but
Hawd the boat :!:
Imported Coal!! From where, FFS?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:38 pm

According to the DTI.....

Imports of coal in 2004 rose to 36.2 million tonnes despite higher international prices. The increased level of imports is due to lower than expected production levels at some UK mines. Major sources of imports include Australia, Colombia, Poland, South Africa and USA.

Sad....
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:32 pm

Burma Road show here:

Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:11 pm

Interesting map there, is "Smithy Lye" sidings the bit that's all lit up with those Orange lamps? That place cheers me up every time I pass it. Where does the name originate from?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:59 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Interesting map there, is "Smithy Lye" sidings the bit that's all lit up with those Orange lamps? That place cheers me up every time I pass it. Where does the name originate from?

No, thats the Shields depot you're thinking of.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:01 pm

[quote="HollowHorn"]Och, but you are missing the point here, Bex, Hazy is an "Engineer" in other words, "A Mechanic with his brains bashed in"

Naw ya baw bag an HND in Mechatronic Engineering
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:03 pm

Hazy wrote:Naw ya baw bag an HND in Mechatronic Engineering

...Is that the study of how to automate Meccano models? In my day you were a Mechanical Engineer or a Electrical Engineer, none of this modern pish!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:09 pm

hazy wrote:
HollowHorn wrote:Och, but you are missing the point here, Bex, Hazy is an "Engineer" in other words, "A Mechanic with his brains bashed in"

Naw ya baw bag an HND in Mechatronic Engineering

Tell me that wasn't achieved at the Caley Uni under the wing of one Keith
Clements-Jewery?

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:22 pm

Getting back on topic(ish). The name "Smithy Lye" probably originated as a siding serving a blacksmith or foundry. "Lye" was a common term for a siding or refuge loop for storing goods wagons. Not sure what the smithy was, but Eglinton Foundry was close by at West Street and there was an Iron Works to the North of the line on Scotland Street. The 1864 map of the area is an interesting comparison with the 1895 map I posted earlier as it shows the course of the GSWR line in it's original form as a canal, hence the name "Paisley Canal line"

Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:59 pm

Thanks Alycidon, excuse my ignorance, i'm trying to work this out via the train window, is "Smithy Lye" the bit thats all grassed over or the bit thats littered with concrete mouldings?

Hazy, yir Maw prolly slept wi an Engineer :wink: Ah used tae wurk wi "Ingineers" only we cawd thum "Fitters"

ps Alycidon, I took some pics of the Paisley to Lochwinnoch part of the line this summer, they are here if you are interested:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hollowhorn/sets/964208/
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions