It's too sunny and HOT by half

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

It's too sunny and HOT by half

Postby Sharon » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:15 pm

...and I'm not sure my very Scottish epidermis knows how to cope with this!

What's everyone doing to make the most of summer?

I've found myself drawn to water... and repelled from the office!!

Way too hot for me though... anything requiring movement isn't pleasant...
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JayKay » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:35 pm

Very strange weather. First time I think ever I've gone to work without a jacket. Not only was it warm enough to go without, but I'm confident it will still be warm when I head home at 7.30 ish. Very unscottish.

No jacket, no shirt and tie either. I drew the line at the shorts Birkenstocks and tie dye but only just. :wink:
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:40 pm

Working as always! :?

Had a week off last week for the first week of the school holibops. Weather's even nicer this week. It's apparently 29 degrees out there. My ex-wife's just taken my son to Thailand for the month and I see the temperature here today is the same as Bangkok. Pah! Mind you, it does rise to 36 there by Friday.

Anyhoo, another week off at the end of the school holiday, don't think I'll do anything spectacular though. Mibbe a trip to see my dad, catch the first home game of the season ... exciting stuff! :D
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Shazbat » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:44 pm

Well, in that Scottish curmudgeonly way, it's too damn hot. Currently sweltering in a 32 deg. office.
I too remarked to myself that I was jacketless going to work this morning, strangely liberating with a wee pinch of insecurity thrown in.
Shazbat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:50 pm

Shazbat wrote: I too remarked to myself that I was jacketless going to work this morning, strangely liberating with a wee pinch of insecurity thrown in.

You are always checking you have got everything when you don't have a jacket... all your instincts scream that you you have forgotten something!
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Shazbat » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:13 pm

And..............it might rain.
Shazbat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:29 pm

Yup, had to double check I had everything...and throw caution to the wind about a sudden change in the season mid afternoon.

Such optimism does not come naturally to the caledonian soul.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:43 pm

....anyone got fpictures of some red necks/noses/arms ::):

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby KonstantinL » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:23 pm

Luckily I'm unemployed right now so I can swan around my flat, naked as the day I was born and eating ice cream.

I agree it's far to hot. I was out yesterday and it was horrendous so I've not set foot out the door today. According to my thermometer it was 84 degrees yesterday and it's down to 81 today so hopefully it will continue to fall tomorrow. I'm eager for my trip to Balloch!

Somewhere in the low seventies would be nice.
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby viceroy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:22 pm

Sharon wrote:You are always checking you have got everything when you don't have a jacket... all your instincts scream that you you have forgotten something!

Problem is what to do with all the bits and bobs you normally carry in a jacket : wallet, mobile phone, pens, diary, loose change, keys [2 sets, one for the house, one for the office] etc. Maybe us men should follow the ladies' example and carry handbags [about 25 years ago there was actually a shortlived vogue for men's handbags, particularly on the Continent]. Trouble is I would keep on walking away without it, like I'm forever doing with umbrellas.

And yes, it is too damned hot. O.K. as a novelty at first but it soon wears off. Can't be bothered working, appetite poor, not sleeping properly. Call me a miserable old Scots Calvinist shit but I prefer my weather to be a a bit more like what I've been used to.

Incidentally, whenever the weather's hot the water pressure in the house drops, particularly in the evening. Does anybody else get this?
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby maZe » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:46 pm

As we canucks live in one crazy country, aka CANADA (+35C in the summer, -35C in the winter) I can say most guys carry backpacks with all their sutff (mobile, wallet, water, keys, etc.) in it.

Works well.

I don't know why, guys here tends to LOVE the +35C weather as the skirts get shorter and girls wears more strapless shirts... mmmm... I wonder why...
maZe
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:52 pm

Well, I'm currently suffering sunstroke! No fun at all. Was near delirious earlier and I think I'm gonna vomit real soon. I have to avoid the sun till I'm better. Let it rain!

Other than that I'm not complaining. It's good to have some nice weather.
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotia47 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:36 pm

viceroy wrote:Incidentally, whenever the weather's hot the water pressure in the house drops, particularly in the evening. Does anybody else get this?

*raises hand*

Fire hydrant vandalage perhaps? :?

Was down south for the British Grand Prix. Weather on Friday and Saturday was OK, but on Sunday the heat was apocalyptic. Ended up missing all but the beginning and end of the race by standing behind the grandstand in the shade. Still managed to get baked arms and face though :evil:

And if I wasn't miserable enough, it was the same in Glasgow when I returned yesterday. 30 degrees in my room as I type. Right now I've got my window open as wide as I can to try and let some of the heat bleed away.

scotia47
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:53 pm

Another bad thing about sunny weather in this country is a lot (and I mean a lot) of people seem to think that being covered up all year entitles them to bare all to the Sun.

Bearing in mind, most have Scottish 'pealy wally' (emphasis on peal) skin. So, by 5-6pm at night you will see loads of baked, bright red skin just asking to be slapped.
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:57 pm

oooooghhh!!!
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions