Workplace Hates

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Workplace Hates

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:41 pm

Overzealous security guards.

Had an argument with a guard in Amazon once over how I wore my ID badge.

The rules say it has to be in plain view at all times, and most folks had theirs on a lanyard round their neck or an armband like a nightclub doorman.

I had mine on one of those spring loaded retractable things (I dunno the proper name for them) clipped to my belt, and apparently this was what the guy objected to.

I stood my ground, "Well, my Manager is ok with it, my Team Lead is ok with it, none of your colleagues have a problem with it, so I dunno why you're chewin' my ear off about it. Now if you'll excuse me, it's lunchtime, and I'm hungry."

Weird thing was, after that day, I never saw that particular guard again.
Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:46 pm

I call that thing a YoYo, to be fair it has to be at eye level at my place, we have had people walking round the place who shouldn’t be there so each and everyone challenges people like that, I hate petty beuracracy like when we all got emails telling us not to use the photocopier for private work, a pal and I went in to the MDs office and admitted that it was a fair cop and it was us, he told us he knew exactly who it was but he had to tell everyone so as to be fair, we all knew who it was and he still does it!
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:54 pm

Another time, twenty odd years ago when I worked in Mimtec down in Gourock, the head security guard wanted people coming out of the secure cage (where I worked) to take their shoes off while they got wanded by a guard.

My supervisor at the time pointed out to the guy that I wore combat boots, it took me ten minutes to get them off and on again, and that I only got a fifteen minute teabreak.

That's the only time I can think of that a gaffer stood up for me.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:57 pm

I think he was conning you and that he had a foot fetish!

Weirdo
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:29 pm

He was an ex polis. Claimed to be ex CID, but a guy I worked with said he never made it out of uniform.

Being honest, he was a bit of a knob. No clue how he kept his job.

There was a spate of thefts, complete desktop systems just vanishing, and of course us lowly agency workers got the blame.

Turns out that not only was it a full timer nicking the stuff, it was a supervisor. A female supervisor at that.

Driving her motor round to the loading dock, and punting three or four systems at a time into the boot.

"Just taking them down to the Irvine plant for further testing."

She only got caught cos of a new guy on the security staff who queried it with the boss of his shift, rather than the head guard himself.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:16 pm

Hullo Hullo Hulllo what’s going onn’ere then, you’re nicked missus!

Nice one
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:36 pm

It's the way of the working world in my experience.

The temps down at the bottom of the pile get treated like shit, while the full time guys get away with murder.

Another time, during one of my spells in Amazon, I was on a backshift, Myra our Team Lead had taken the previous day off because it was her anniversary and her hubby was taking her out for a meal.

So, start of shift, we get our usual briefing, productivity for the past 24 hours, who's doing what job etc.

Myra: (jokingly) "I hope you missed me last night."
Me: (equally jokingly) "Oh, the place wasn't the same without you."
Full Time Female Colleague: (sneers) "Crawler."
Me: "I beg your pardon?"
Her: "You heard. Crawler."
Me: "Aye, that's what I thought you said."

And I walked away to my place down in shipping, not giving it any more thought.

With the benefit of hindsight (this was ten years or more ago), I probably should've pulled her up on that and asked Myra to start disciplinary action. But it was a Friday, I just wanted to do my job, not have any hassle, and go home at the end of the shift.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:18 pm

I have been in jobs where supervisor who was only in job for 5 minutes gave instructions.
You knew what they said was wrong but you did it anyway.
As expected there were complaints and once the penny dropped everyone was able to go back to doing things properly.
It proves that some people just can't be told.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:20 am

Oh yeah, there was a case in Amazon (again) where a former Mimtec manager started as a temp and started throwing his weight around.

He was quietly taken aside by his Team Lead (who used to be a temp in Mimtec) and the situation was explained to him. Starting with the words "Listen, cunt."

He quit shortly afterwards.
I still see the guy in Greenock occasionally, driving a taxi.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:47 am

There is a time and a place for strong language and despite your average Wegie being very erudite sometimes to cut to the chase is the best way, I bet that left him rocking on his heels, sometimes no point prevaricating - just steam on for the Jugular!
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:31 pm

Mimtec was so bad latterly, when they got taken over by Sanmina, that I had to retrain new guys how to do my job because the guy from the training department had done it wrong in the first place.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:50 am

Have I told you guys the story about how Amazon got their baws booted over a special edition X-Box?
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:48 pm

No pls go on
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:00 pm

Right. This is going back about twelve years.

Like I said, there was some special, super-duper limited edition X-Box due out. GLA-1 had its own allocation of the things, and every one was spoken for on pre-order.

They came to us from the vendor in cases of four units per case, eight cases per pallet.

Now, I only heard about this from my mate on the opposite shift a couple of days later, and according to him it went something like this...

Things are going fine. The packages are going through all the different parts of the process, flying into the back of Royal Mail trucks and onward (eventually) to customers.

It's idly noted that the stock of X-Boxes seems to be running a bit low. Numbers are checked, and they're way off.

Then someone has the bright idea to actually open things up, and physically inspect the product.

It was at that point that they realised that they'd been shipping out whole cases rather than individual units.

TECHNICAL BIT
Amazon's process goes like this.

Inbound Dock: goods come into the building on pallets. Pallets are broken down into boxes.

Receive: boxes of goods are further broken down to individual units or multiples in the case of multipacks, and scanned into stock.

Stow: the individual units/multipacks are scanned into their stock location on the shelves.

Pick: once a customer order comes through, the item/items are scanned out of the stock location and put on a trolley.

Pack: the trolleys go to a holding area, and are taken to the packing stations.

Ship: once the orders are packed, they go down a conveyor belt, shipping label goes on, and through a big sorting machine that sorts the stuff into the different postal carriers - Royal Mail First Class, Second Class, Special Delivery etc. Then they get put in the back of a truck. Once the truck is around 90% it gets closed up, and the driver drives off.

Back to the story - Much huddling in corners and whispered conversations from Managers and Team Leads.

Phone calls to Senior Managers, higher and higher up the food chain it goes.

Phone calls to the Royal Mail parcel depot. Nope, sorry, already on their way to customers.

So after a wee while, emails got sent out to affected customers. And to their credit, quite a few owned up and Amazon arranged for the surplus consoles to be returned. However, there were a few who basically shrugged their shoulders and said "Dunno what you're on about pal."

Baws were booted back at Amazon, heads rolled, one or two Managers and Team Leads lost their jobs

That was multiple times that the cases went through all six parts of the process before it was queried.

Curiously enough, shortly afterwards, several of these fabby doo X-Boxes popped up for sale on eBay going for well below retail price...
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:09 pm

Damn it’s too late I suppose, I need one to replace my Sega Master system!
It’s on its last legs, Sonic is in a wheelchair in it and my TV can’t handle the 16 bit graphics!
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions