The DaVinci Code

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

The DaVinci Code

Postby BobK » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:15 am

I've just finished reading this book. Best book I've ever read, and that includes my wee sisters 1982 Bunty Annual!

Regardless of your views, it really does raise some interesting questions on the validity of the bible.

Friends opinions who have read the book range from Blasphamy (spelling?) to disbelief.

Personally, I was very sceptical on the claims raised by the book, but after a Google session, I'm beginning to have my doubts.

Anyone else read the book? What are your thoughts?
BobK
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alycidon » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:01 am

Agree with Bob that this is an excellently written book, and I look forward to seeing the Film. Believe Tom Hanks has been signed as the leading man - wonder if they will film on loction at Rosslyn!!
As far as blasphemy is concerned, I have a very open mind on the subject. Anyone who takes the Bible as being an accurate factual document has a serious case of blind faith. Personally I think JC was an ET!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:29 am

Not read it yet. But my Girlfriend has been raving about it since I bought it for her. She said the ending sucked though. Big time!!! (Don't ruin it for me!)

As far as doubts over the validity of the Bible: I think any Doubting Thomas' :wink: should read Frank Morrison's 'Who Moved The Stone' to get a decent view of the events in it, seen from a psychological and scientific point of view. Not a member of the "God Squad" or some Church basher either. I'm almost done with it, and it's amazing!

The DaVinci Code? I'll read it about July when my time frees up, looking forward to it.
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby caine » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:11 pm

just a pitty that most of the de vinci code can be dismissed by many other highly regarded books on the same of subject.

i'll have to look out some links for you all.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:24 pm

Wasn't the supposition in the book comprehensively de-bunked by Tony Robinson on C4 recently?
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:49 pm

Indeed it was, and quite thoroughly too as I recall.

I'm afraid most of these types of books turn out to be cracking good yarns, cynically disguised as facts, and really just designed to line the author's pocket.

I recall the Chariots of the Gods and the tales about the Nazca lines of Peru. I still wonder at articles written today that begin "No-one knows who made the lines or why they are there...".
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:52 pm

I'm afraid most of these types of books turn out to be cracking good yarns, cynically disguised as facts, and really just designed to line the author's pocket.

I recall the Chariots of the Gods and the tales about the Nazca lines of Peru. I still wonder at articles written today that begin "No-one knows who made the lines or why they are there...".

Dan Brown is at least being honest and wrote his book as a novel based loosely around some known facts, that crook Von Daniken tried to palm his stuff off as hard fact until he was caught openly fabricating "evidence"
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kirkyguy » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:28 pm

I can rememebr being absolutely dumbfounded by the chariots of the gods, and then it got slaughtered,everything i thought had been turned upside down and had its arse smacked, and then after that it was time to use your own mind on such ramblings..as for the davinci code it was a good little book a bit like an indianna jones story to me nothing more....
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby lordsleek » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:42 pm

Its all true they were astronauts in ancient times :twisted:
lordsleek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:39 pm

Did you know that Brown is being accused of plagiarism by the authors of two earlier books, one fictional (Lewis Perdue) and one non-fictional (Baigent and Leigh). Google for more on this.
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:53 pm

Dan Brown is at least being honest

that crook Von Daniken

::): ::): ::):
Brown openly publishes fiction tacked on fact, and gets lucky because it becomes a cult, still doesn't make him honest, esp. with the subsequent plagerism following him.

Can't see how Von Daniken can really be classed as a crook, publishing stories about flying saucers. Either he was deluded, or smart enough to see ahead and see good sales if he starts a cult following.

Anyone that actually believed anything he wrote, well, they really deserve to parted from their cash. I read a number of the books when they were published, and by the time you've seen a few, there's more holes in the stories he gives as evidence than a Glasgow tramp's socks :)

Still all pretty good reads though.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:41 pm

Hasn't von Dëniken just opened a kind of Fortean amusement park in Germany or Switzerland? Could be worth a HG expedition ...
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:57 pm

The Mystery Park in Interlaken, Switzerland.

http://www.mysterypark.ch/

Its even got a webcam, one more for the list :)

Wish I'd thought of this one, his bio reckons he's sold 60 million copies of his books, he's still active in film and TV...

The Mystery Park presents the mysteries of this world, based on the ideas of Erich von Däniken, on the 100,000 sq.m. site of the former military airfield at Matten, near Interlaken. "We are not building a UFO park" repeatedly emphasises Erich von Däniken, best-selling non-fiction author with a grand total over 60 million books sold. The seven different theme buildings, set in a star pattern around the main building, present mysterious, to-scale evidence of various past cultures, such as the Pyramids of Gizeh in Egypt or Chichen Itza of the Mayan Indians. Challenge looks to the future, taking NASA's attempts to inhabit the planet Mars as its theme. Erich von Däniken wants the anticipated around 500,000 annual visitors to "re-learn the feeling of astonishment in the Mystery Park" and to ask questions on the wherefrom and whereto of our civilisation.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alchemist » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:15 pm

Baigent and Leigh's book, yeah I remember people burning
it when it hit the shops. Certain members of society found
it rather blaspehmous, as far as the factual aspect of the
work, still to be convinced.

Levi and Barrett's work perhaps being a bit more convincing
are still sorry works of plagiarism.

As far is Brown is concerned, all the best to the dude. At least
he'll have a comfortable pension.
Alchemist
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:06 pm

Have to admit I did enjoy the DV code book.

Good "gripping yarn" stuff, although IMHO not very well written and with factual errors that even I could spot, but even so, a good read. Verymuch the kind of book I think written with a film adaptation in mind.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions