Random music

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Random music

Postby kelvin_hall » Sun May 08, 2005 11:02 pm

I find myself increasingly listening to random music off my hard drive rather than actually choosing music to listen to. It throws up some nice combinations and choice I would normally never make. For example I probably wouldn't decide to list to Sister Ray on a Sunday evening but it is actually quite enjoyable.

Does anyone else love random music?
kelvin_hall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun May 08, 2005 11:18 pm

Yes

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Alchemist » Mon May 09, 2005 12:09 am

Listening to Jewel Kilcher at present after midnight music. That
mood is my late night distraction :)

Reminds me of clear midnight skys and the aurora.
Last edited by Alchemist on Mon May 09, 2005 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alchemist
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon May 09, 2005 12:10 am

Isn't it just convenience?

Hit the Randomise button a few times and leave it get on with it, and you can work and play away uninterrupted.

I used to hate the way LPs and cassettes churned out everything in the same order every time they were played. The arrival of the CD was a real improvement, even if it did kill the hobby of Hi-Fi. It's still there, you just need an oil sheik's bank balance to play as all the analogue stuff cost thousands now. Thank you Mr. Tiefenbrun :roll:
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon May 09, 2005 7:49 am

Apollo wrote:Isn't it just convenience?

Hit the Randomise button a few times and leave it get on with it, and you can work and play away uninterrupted.

I used to hate the way LPs and cassettes churned out everything in the same order every time they were played. The arrival of the CD was a real improvement, even if it did kill the hobby of Hi-Fi. It's still there, you just need an oil sheik's bank balance to play as all the analogue stuff cost thousands now. Thank you Mr. Tiefenbrun :roll:

My mate's managed to build up a decent Linn set up.He started off with a bargain power amp from Cash Convertors, and then prowled E bay and hassled staff in Hi Fi shops selling off trade ins.

I spend more money on records than I do on Hi Fi and apart from a recently purchased Project debut deck everything else was won in competitions, bought from Crazy George and traded off the above mate. OOps I forgot, and Richer Sounds after perusing Hi Fi reviews.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Random music

Postby KonstantinL » Mon May 09, 2005 10:28 am

kelvin_hall wrote:I find myself increasingly listening to random music off my hard drive rather than actually choosing music to listen to. It throws up some nice combinations and choice I would normally never make. For example I probably wouldn't decide to list to Sister Ray on a Sunday evening but it is actually quite enjoyable.

Does anyone else love random music?

I agree it throws up some nice segues (as an old Peel fan I always love hearing two completely different musicals genres being forced together) but I've actually gone of 'random' now. I'm more on a full album trip right now.

As much as I like random, I'm kind of concerned that MP3 players will kill the album format and I won't like that to happen.

BTW - Sister Ray (the song not the band!) is my all time favourite track.
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby kelvin_hall » Mon May 09, 2005 10:48 am

It was the track. My wife came in and told me to turn it down! :oops:
kelvin_hall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Mon May 09, 2005 1:14 pm

I love albums that flow, but a lot don't. I used to listen to tracks randomly, but i've been listening to more new stuff recently, and it deserves to be listened to as intended, so i've been listening to whole albums.
"You just keep pumping away until someone suitably qualified tells you to stop."
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Mon May 09, 2005 1:40 pm

A good way to emulate a 'random' function on an LP is:

Take a record.

Drill some holes in it.

Now, when it's played the stylus trips on the holes, jumps and lands on a new track!!

Hurray for science!!

::):

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Random Distractions