The BBC's Prisoner

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

The BBC's Prisoner

Postby Apollo » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:43 am

A seasonal treat for anyone that prefers their Prisoner viewing crisp and natural, and not to be from colour-shifted videos or odd DVDs.

Only a few months after their last showing of The Prisoner, BBC4 are re-screening the series. The digital channel is showing all the episodes, starting of course with "Arrival", at 7.10pm on Monday 27th December. The following three nights include the episodes "The Chimes of Big Ben", "A,B & C", and "Free For All", also in the 7.10pm timeslot. The series then takes a short break over the New Year weekend, but will continue in January.

Not listed on the Beeb's pages at the moment, hope the source is right.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:50 am

r u talking prisoner as in cell block h?
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby dazza » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:22 am

crusty_bint wrote:r u talking prisoner as in cell block h?

I wish you would put an * after a joke/sarcasm. ::):

You were joking weren't you? 8O
dazza
-
-

Postby Apollo » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:48 pm

crusty_bint wrote:r u talking prisoner as in cell block h?

::): You've got to laugh, haven't you? ::):

If you didn't, you'd have find yourself a strong rope, a good tree and long drop :twisted:
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:28 pm

Joking...? ...Erm ...yeah ...yeah, thats right, just joking. hahahahaha such fun*

:wink:
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:28 pm

What's up with the DVDS?
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:51 pm

Afraid I can't remember the details, and I've been out of the society since the commitee nonsense started a few years back, but the reviews back then seemed to find fault with each release for some reason or other. I wasn't particularly interested then (nothing to play DVD on) but I did think it was a bit of a nuisance that there wasn't one version that didn't seem to have some drawback.

There was a magazine that was to feature the entire series on cover disks, but it was pulled part way through, though I think you could finish your collection by subscription only, but again, I couldn't be bothered to follow it.

I picked up one of the anniversary VHS collections during one visit, but for an official issue, the quality was appaling. My original off-air tapes are better, hence I'd want to view anything else before parting with cash now
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:22 pm

I snagged the box set ages ago - looks fine to me! :)
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:59 pm

Maybe I was unlucky. I have the ITC gold box set with the alternative Chimes, brought it back from Portmeirion when Max ran the 'proper' Prisoner shop, as a last minute purchase on way out.

I never had the opportunity to view any of the content until I missed one of the back to back episodes on the Beeb's recent screening, so I popped the box and used to cassette to keep up to speed. Seeing the broadcast vs cassette version was disappointing to say the least, and surprising since it was a boxed and branded set, just published when I got it.

I know it's not age, as I just had reason to look at my original episode 1 tape of Knight Rider from around 1985, and it looks as good as the day it was taped.

Who published your set, if you don't mind?
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:17 pm

Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:24 pm

Ta, still a mystery though as Firefox won't display the link. My first refusal from it too 8O
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:04 am

Not a wind-up, BBC4 future schedule confirms The Prisoner will be shown as reported.

Coincidentally, the DVD/magazine collection I referred to has just been re-issued as the 6-issue pilot was deemed a success. Those that bought in get the 7th free, and can continue to complete the collection up to issue 17, at £7.99 a time (£136 compared to VHS price of £25, dontcha love technology?).

After completing The Prisoner, the publication will continue to satisfy the needs of Danger Man fans, with 84 episodes following on immediately. This time there will be more than one episode per DVD, so "the collection is completed quicker". Say 3 per disc, not cheap at posibly £224. Maybe they'll put more on.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:51 pm

After the above Prisoner and Danger Man DVD rip-off, this time of year spawns more of the same. Just saw an add for a part-work that lets go build your own radio-controlled 4-wheel drive buggy. Though it is fuel rather than battery powered, the mag comes in 70 (seventy?) parts at £6 a time. I'd expect change from that for my semi-pro assembled buggies with custom bearings and engines, including radio, and finish in 2-4 weeks of spare time in evenings.

Still, I suppose it's still better value than things like cardboard models of HMS Victory and the like. They were so expensive to complete and such junk, they ended up featuring on something like the BBC's Watchdog.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:06 pm

I watched the first ep the other week, and i wasn't impressed at all. I'd never seen it before, but it just seemed to be pretty boring and odd for being odd's sake.

Does it pick up after ep2 or is it like that all the way through?
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:03 pm

Two thoughts:

The series exists on an allegorical level, and the paranoia of the various governements and states since 9/11 is probably more reflected in it now than ever before. That said, if it doesn't ring your bell, so be it. We're still free to choose, until our freedom erodes a little further as the goverment gices us a compulsory number :)

Generalising, would you be closer to school/college/university than retiral?
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions