Vietnam

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Vietnam

Postby Cardno » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:20 pm

Although it's not really to do with Glasgow...my dad stays out in Vietnam and the stuff u can c out there is amazing. Tunnels, war wrecked buildings, vehicles...it's an amazing country. And the stuff u can buy is class!

*Straps on antique GI helmet*

"DIDI MAU DIDI MAU BEAUCOUPS VC BEAUCOUPS VC"
Cardno
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sharon » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:03 pm

i remember reading something about the networks of tunnels becoming quite a tourist attraction. But that westerners struggled to fit down the entrance holes which were built to cater for a more slender physique!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cardno » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:02 pm

Sharon wrote:i remember reading something about the networks of tunnels becoming quite a tourist attraction. But that westerners struggled to fit down the entrance holes which were built to cater for a more slender physique!

The tunnels at Cu-Chi have been turned into a tourist attraction (aka anti-american propoganda). They are amazing, the actual tunnels have been doubled in height and width to allow for western tourists. But they still hav one original entrance and it was only about the size of inbetween an A4 and A3 bit of paper...no joke. I fitted in it tho...and i'm about GI size according to the VC guide. But i had no gear on...so it was cool and i fitted down (with a bit of a struggle). Problem bak then tho was that half the entrances weren't real and were trapped...and some of the traps were horrific i tell theee!
Cardno
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sharon » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:50 am

In some kind of loose coincidence I've just started reading Despatches.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby partickular » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:27 pm

I was in Vietnam in 2001 as part of a backpacking expedition, and went to visit the Cu Chi Tunnells. Really interesting. There were two open to visitors, the first being larger than the second. I, at 5'11" and a bit on the 'chunky' side, only just managed to fit down the first one, so I gave the second one a miss! I saw all the examples of traps the Viet Cong set and they were gruesome, whilst being low tech. Later, i went on a tour of the DMZ, on which we were shown a bombed out church with bullet holes all over the walls and such like. We were taken to see a lesser known tunnell network called the Vinh Moc tunnells, which were larger than the Cu Chi tunnells, and designed for villagers to live in rather than for the VietCong to fight from.

I saw Ho Chi Minh's enbalmed body in it's mausoleum in Hanoi too.

An extremely interesting country to travel in overall.
Last edited by Sharon on Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: testing
partickular
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Random Distractions