A plea for help!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

A plea for help!

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:36 pm

Hi all.

My name's Steve, and I run FireFight Scotland Airsoft - that being a paintball-like adventure game played with 6mm beads instead of big paintballs. ( If you want to know more about the sport, please ask me! )

Anyway, the main reason I finally got around to registering here is that my interest in Glasgow's secret places has overlapped with my interest in Airsoft - to cut a long story short, we want a new site. Our woodland site is all well and good but the owner of the company has asked me to look for something more interesting that simply trees.

So I'm asking anyone out there that can help me get in touch with the owners of suitable places to give me a shout!
Anything that's big, abandoned, and can be made safe enough for 10 - 50 people to run around wearing facemasks firing little white balls at one another will be ideal.

( By way of reward, anyone who assists us in actually getting somewhere leased will be given a whole heap of free games :) )

You can mail me at [email protected] or get me on MSN using the address [email protected] ... my ICQ number is 19950996.

Thanks!
Steve.
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:44 pm

Are you looking for somewhere in Glasgow? Or just nearby?
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:11 pm

Anywhere within 40 minutes or so of Glasgow - obviously if there's an abandoned Black Mesa stylee military comples 45 minutes away I ain't gonna turn it down :)

It has to be legit, though... we need full written permission to play there to satisfy our insurance policy.
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:17 pm

Hmmm... there's an old anti-aircraft gunsite out by Alexandria (need to check) that might be fun, lots of little building and lots of gorse...its on farmed land though, so might not be that amazing... not that big either... hmmm...this is a tricky one!!!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:32 pm

Alexandria?
Hmm... that might already be taken! Don't suppose you have pics at all?

There's another smaller Airsoft site operator running some games in the area...
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:35 pm

I'll mail you a couple.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby james73 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:37 pm

What about the old Partick Central rail yard site? Might be kind of
interesting, with the old tunnel at the far end? :)

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:38 pm

Thank you kindly!

Just off the phone to Mugdock Country Park - you might be interested to know that they're renovating their Anti-Aircraft site to be a "visiting ruin". Work started last week.

:|
;)
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:40 pm

james73 wrote:What about the old Partick Central rail yard site? Might be kind of
interesting, with the old tunnel at the far end? :)

James H

I'll have a look - but bear in mind that we're firing small projectiles from what LOOK like real guns. ( They're not, they're plastic and use a small motor and a spring. ).
We need to not only be able to contain the BBs, but stop the general public from wandering onto the site.

We don't want another:

"Haw! Yooyaprick!"
"Yes?"
"GeezyerwalleturahllschtabyooOOOOWHITZATAFECKINMACHINEGUN?!"
"Bye then! *Slings MP5 over shoulder*"
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:50 pm

wow...i had the great idea that it (mugdock gunsite) should actually be restored, not just preserved...you know to show how it would have looked...just shows you!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Fossil » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:03 pm

if you are located in Ek there is a place on the border of Blyntyre and Halfway hopfully its still there and not been developed called Quary Wood, Its near the Army firing ranges.
Also I know of a large old farm loads of buildings it seems from the road thats up for sale, could be counter strike for real" 8)

Hope this helps

cheers
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Soft Air

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:46 pm

Hi Steve,
I've found a few sites that you may well be interested in. Old
WW2 AA kinda things and going by what I've deduced from the OS maps they might be what your looking for as they are not within built up areas.

I'll E-mail you off forum as they have yet to be archived by the HG people.

I wouldn't mind a blast at this myself but looking at the price of the Softies
on http://www.airsoftdynamics.net/shop/ADSstore.cgi or

http://www.t2shustler.homestead.com/index.html It would be cheaper going down and joining the local Army Cadets. @ least you get to shoot the real thing....well you did a couple of years ago. I was in the RHF in Aikenhead road for about six months where we used to have target practice on a Sunday. You paid a 50p sub and got five .22 rounds on the 25yard indoor range dipatched from a converted .303 Lee Enfield. Superb!.

Thankfully my Dads mate was a warrant Officer in the TA at the same barracks so I got to squeeze off everything from a GPMG, SMG, side arms Browning 9mm not forgetting the old workhorse 7.62 SLR.

They had to Bank up the range IIRC with additional sand when using the large bore stuff as it would have knocked out the back wall in no time :)

PS: Skirmish ?? are they rivals or is there some sort of partnership?
Don't they have a place out Stockiemuir way?
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:57 pm

Thanks again for the help folks!
I'll be checking them all out tomorrow!

PGCC - "skirmish" is a generic term used to describe an Airsoft battle.
"Skirmish" are a paintball site that actually had the cheek to threaten the aforementioned "smaller airsoft site" with legak action for using the word in context on his website!
ie. idiots.

As for cost - yeah, a new AEG ( Auto Electric Gun ) costs about £200+, but we hire them out for £15 per day.
Green fees are £15, and ammo is £5 per 1000 rounds, buy-two-get-two-free.
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Airsoft

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:02 am

Yeah! the AEG's are pricey speshully the souped up one I fancy. But getting on for £700 is a bit steep.

I liked the look of the M16 I think? that was featured on that 'SAS Think Your Hard Enough' prog that was on council telly last year.
It was a gas gun based on the paintball format.
I noticed they used several variants IE: softair with luminous BB's on the night objectives. Nice tracer effect.
Falling back to the so called enemy sqeezing off full auto blanks for extra effect.
So to cut to the chase any chance of a discount or even better a freebie :D , a day out for us founding members of Hidden Glasgow? namely Sharon, Turbozutek, Duncan, Me (pgcc) Oh! and not forgetting Big Craig who runs the whole show when Sharons got a day off/hangover ::):

I'll send you the details in the morning of the aforementioned sites Btw.

PGCC
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:50 pm

Cheers for that email!

I take it you were looking at an M60 or suchlike? :)
That M16 you were thinking of is the "RAM Marker" - and actually illegal in the UK, since the muzzle energy of a paintball gun is by it's very nature higher than an Airsoft gun - rendering fully-automatic paintball markers into the category of "Lethal-barrelled firearms".
They do look fun though! ;)

I can't do a freebie for you all on our current site, as we have costs to cover but I can definitely work out a very decent discount if there's a bunch of you interested.
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions