THe Party's Over

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

THe Party's Over

Postby MacotheIsles » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:27 pm

Having had a few, I come to you in that certain frame of mind which, I am sure, washes upon the shores of our minds at such times. Listening to my Frank Skerret recreation and looking at the old Radio Clyde 261 schedules and such. Where did it all go wrong? Where is the communal sense of belonging that once was: the feeling that we were re all in it together? Are those of us that long for things as they were mere dinosaurs on this West of Scotland comet supplanted by a diluted culture of nothingness, or shall proper times of goodness and wonderfulness ever return? Even as I type this NKC has come on singing The Party's Over. Frank and I are calling it a day.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: THe Party's Over

Postby RDR » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:45 pm

Oh, I don't know, I suppose it all depends on where you look.
Life has become more complicated and for some more self-centered but I still come across examples of community spirit or individuals/ groups of staff who go that bit further in the NHS.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:05 pm

Mac

Such a profound post and so very poignant too. I couldn't simply view it and pass on without commenting and yet I find myself lost for words (and if you knew me, you'd find that hard to believe).

We are often accused of looking at the past through 'rose tinted glasses' yet I despair at the things we've lost from my youth and 'growing up' and I too lament some of the points you raised in your post and more. Community - sometimes I ask myself, 'is there now such a thing?' Yet there are times we see a flicker of hope or is it a dying ember?
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:57 pm

look no further than the facebook page of the golden friendships club if you think there is no sense of community good people.if you build it they will come(field of dreams).based on this ideal the golden friendships club was born.started by a team of one and now assisted by this one mans family and other helpers there are now a couple of hundred,yes,hundred of folk every week coming to this club.to get the less fortunate,the disabled,the elderly,the lonely out of their homes every week is no mean feat and yet jim McLaren has managed to do this.a more selfless human being you could not meet.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:08 pm

MacotheIsles wrote:Having had a few, I come to you in that certain frame of mind which, I am sure, washes upon the shores of our minds at such times. Listening to my Frank Skerret recreation and looking at the old Radio Clyde 261 schedules and such. Where did it all go wrong? Where is the communal sense of belonging that once was: the feeling that we were re all in it together? Are those of us that long for things as they were mere dinosaurs on this West of Scotland comet supplanted by a diluted culture of nothingness, or shall proper times of goodness and wonderfulness ever return? Even as I type this NKC has come on singing The Party's Over. Frank and I are calling it a day.

My mum used to listen to Frank Skerret on a Sunday night. Hated it as it reminded me that school was the next day.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:33 am

further to my comments about the golden friendships club a press conference will be held today in the golden jubilee hotel.tv news and radio coverage so put yer tellys on good people and check it out. :D
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:18 pm

please do check out golden friendships latest news on you tube.i help out at the club two days a week. :D
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:21 am

sorry,links to the above can be found on the golden friendship facebook page.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Random Distractions