When Music Was Music. Frank Skerret Show

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

When Music Was Music. Frank Skerret Show

Postby MacotheIsles » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:42 am

Thanks to the magic of iTunes and such I am trying to recreate a typical Frank Skerret's Saturday Morning When Music Was Music (cf Radio Clyde 261.... Altogether Now). I have the opening and closing tunes and am downloading lots of Mel Torme, Al Martino, Nat King Cole, some Lena Martel and hopefully Ethna Campbell's 'Old Rugged Cross'. Trying to remember other artists that were regularly played on the show. Happy, blissful Saturday mornings in those far off Seventies days when the wireless was still good!
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: When Music Was Music. Frank Skerret Show

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:32 am

Sorry, I can't help but your post did provoke a memory and I also love the fact that 'wireless' has changed somewhat in its meaning from when I was a child.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:09 pm

Didn't Frank make a habit of making sarky comments about Sidney Devine, before playing some of his tracks?
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:10 pm

A good memory I trust. Now that I'm officially an old git, with the bruises, scars and bus pass to prove it, I cling more doggedly than ever to terms like 'wireless' in its original context. There's a wee nostalgic ditty somewhere that has the line "and Jimmy Shand's on the wireless" which more or less sums up the dwam. "The wireless" is a synonym for better days when lunatics would at least think twice before blowing up the world, and people were thrilled by tuning in to Family Favourites and Workers' Playtime. Simpler and happier times altogether.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:12 pm

Alycidon wrote:Didn't Frank make a habit of making sarky comments about Sidney Devine, before playing some of his tracks?

I do believe you're right Alicydon. I'd forgotten that. I'll maybe add "Tiny Bubbles" to the playlist. Thank you.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:29 pm

The Crystal Chandelier comes to mind
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:17 pm

Alycidon wrote:The Crystal Chandelier comes to mind

Added. Had forgotten how unique Sidney's voice was...

Will put in some Sinatra and Dean Martin too.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:31 am

pal of my cradle days was on his playlist quite often as I recall.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:55 pm

banjo wrote:pal of my cradle days was on his playlist quite often as I recall.

Which one; Sinatra, Dean or auld Sydney Shindig?

Wonder if Sydney's still givin it laldy on the stage?
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:59 am

steak and kidney does the pavilion once a year.november I think.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:37 pm

banjo wrote:steak and kidney does the pavilion once a year.november I think.

In all seriousness that's a show I'd like to take in. Will check it out.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:56 pm

Always listened to his shows as a young kid.

There is almost nothing online about him bar a few mentions of Radio Clyde on forums suck as this. Dean Park was on TV talking to another Scottish entertainer (who I forget) and mentioned that Frank was a Solicitor and lost hs leg late in life; whilst still working on Clyde.

I guess he must have passed away circa 1983 but can't find anything.

This was his sign off song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9iX5S-eAHM
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:57 pm

Ink Man! Thank you very much indeed. I've added that to my Frank Skerret playlist. It seems downright perverse that Frank and his show are so scantily referenced on the otherwise all-knowing internet with it's ability to keek round the most obscure corners into the past. Regardless; When Music was Music was an integral part of that once-upon-a-time West of Scotland Saturday which is remembered fondly in memory if not in webland.

Now here's a strange thing. I certainly do remember 'Round and Round' being used as the intro, and 'The Party's Over' closing the show. However I had it firmly in my mind that 'Just Bummin' Around' opened the show. I don't know if this is just me havering, or whether he switched intros at some time. Would love to know.

ps: Wasn't Frank a onetime boxer in his younger days as well as being a solicitor?
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:00 pm

Added - an ounce of Lena Horne and a tincture or two of Ella Fitzgerald; not to mention a smidgin of Bobby Darrin. The wireless (speaker) is on and it's 1977 all over again and there's mince & tatties and brown sauce for mid-day dinner. If only there was some way of having Frank introduce the songs.

One of Frank's jokes (and the only one I can remember to my regret): If you see the notorious cross-eyed burglar looking through your window... Warn your neighbour.

Makes me laugh to this day.

ps: Whatever happened to the wireless? Where did all the proper programmes go? Stands the church clock at ten to three and is there still 261 for tea?
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:18 pm

MacotheIsles wrote:Ink Man! Thank you very much indeed. I've added that to my Frank Skerret playlist. It seems downright perverse that Frank and his show are so scantily referenced on the otherwise all-knowing internet with it's ability to keek round the most obscure corners into the past. Regardless; When Music was Music was an integral part of that once-upon-a-time West of Scotland Saturday which is remembered fondly in memory if not in webland.

Now here's a strange thing. I certainly do remember 'Round and Round' being used as the intro, and 'The Party's Over' closing the show. However I had it firmly in my mind that 'Just Bummin' Around' opened the show. I don't know if this is just me havering, or whether he switched intros at some time. Would love to know.

ps: Wasn't Frank a onetime boxer in his younger days as well as being a solicitor?

You are 100% correct; the closure track was a version of 'The Party's Over' by (I think) a female singer.
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions