disabled parking

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

disabled parking

Postby tyson007 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:17 am

hi guys
I need advice on disabled parking on council land it's my neighbour she keeps parking on disabled parking bay forcing me a disabled person to walk half a mile to get a space way round the corner to my home. now I dare not mention it to her as she's quite brash and I have told the police who were not interested I told the council who said its not enforceable to remove her on yellow box parking space with a sign on a pole they say it's not there problem so what do I do leave a nice note explaining in 6 words "this is a disabled space only" I paid money for a blue badge there not free you know and she's not disabled has no blue badge and she can dump her car there and I am not the only disabled person in the street this surely can't be right can anyone give me advice
tyson007
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: disabled parking

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:03 am

A disabled bay is a courtesy it is not enforceable just in the same way 'white lines' over a driveway are not enforceable. Apart from mediation and appealing to her better nature, there is nothing you can do. Police and Council will not take action against her.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Godsgift » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:06 am

tyson007 wrote:hi guys
I need advice on disabled parking on council land it's my neighbour she keeps parking on disabled parking bay forcing me a disabled person to walk half a mile to get a space way round the corner to my home. now I dare not mention it to her as she's quite brash and I have told the police who were not interested I told the council who said its not enforceable to remove her on yellow box parking space with a sign on a pole they say it's not there problem so what do I do leave a nice note explaining in 6 words "this is a disabled space only" I paid money for a blue badge there not free you know and she's not disabled has no blue badge and she can dump her car there and I am not the only disabled person in the street this surely can't be right can anyone give me advice

It's a bit different here in Ireland and you can be fined for parking in a disabled bay, not that it's enforced very often and people here can be just as pig ignorant as they are there. I think the problem is that certain people perceive that the blue badge system is being abused by people who have little or nothing wrong with them. (Wait and see, I'll get shat upon for even suggesting this.)

Anyhoos, in the absence of any legislation, go out and take pictures of her car and send copies with a covering letter about police and council inaction to 1. Your local newspaper. 2. Your local councillor. 3. Your MSP. Try and shame the bitch into behaving herself.
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tyson007 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:01 pm

Hi guys
Thank you for those responses i have contacted a few people and there are laws on the books " Disabled Persons' Parking Places (Scotland) Act 2009" this is law and i have to say no one wants to enforce this and i will try the press next this is shameful in my opinion. i thank you all for the replies
tyson007
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby purplepantman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:45 pm

Godsgift wrote:....and people here can be just as pig ignorant as they are there.

I'm finding that quite hard to believe.
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:17 pm

just from curiosity what is your disability im perhaps generously presuming it extends beyond the inability to punctuate sentences this whole thing doesnt sound right to me there are several disabled people in your vicinity and one single space so even were this person to stop using the space your use of it would put several other people in the same position as yourself no and its half a mile to the nearest parking space really what an odd neighbourhood you have there
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:07 pm

Gaun yersel, Columbo :)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Fat Cat » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:37 pm

Josef wrote:just from curiosity what is your disability im perhaps generously presuming it extends beyond the inability to punctuate sentences this whole thing doesnt sound right to me there are several disabled people in your vicinity and one single space so even were this person to stop using the space your use of it would put several other people in the same position as yourself no and its half a mile to the nearest parking space really what an odd neighbourhood you have there

And breathe..
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:07 am

Has Dexter hacked Josef?
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:58 am

Guacho wrote:Has Dexter hacked Josef?

:-)

There's pedantry and there's simple courtesy. If you can't be bothered to make your pronouncements readable, then you're in the tinfoil hat/UKIP brigade.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:03 am

To be fair the op did have a full stop just the one though and then it all went tits up
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:13 pm

Josef wrote:
Guacho wrote:Has Dexter hacked Josef?

:-)

There's pedantry and there's simple courtesy. If you can't be bothered to make your pronouncements readable, then you're in the tinfoil hat/UKIP brigade.

There's also dyslexia, or some other reading/writing issues someone may be experiencing, in addition to the other alternative of poor schooling. Who knows?

While I too detest unpunctuated writing, it's not always as cut and dried as has been made out.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:56 am

I suffer from profound dyslexia and have withdrawn from posting in two forums as a matter of principle because the 'spelling police and grammatical henchmen liked nothing more than to point to my errors (whilst loading their own rebukes of my post with often past tenses and poor spelling). Often those who rebuked me, never knew the difference between 'there, their and they're' and when it came to, 'two, too and to or it's and its - it became laughable if not ironic.

However, more than anything it was sad that a 'disability' was mocked so openly in a forum and instead of welcoming a newbie or someone who fails to grasp the basic rudiments of language due to the condition, instead many mocked or decried the posting. It happened to me and it happened to others and in some ways forums such as these remind me of churches, people want new blood, they want new posts, new threads to debate, pour over and enjoy and as soon as someone new arrives, someone different, the abuse starts.

I no longer contribute on Urban, or in Pat's West End and I rarely add anything on others and by the looks of things here with this thread, my days may well be numbered.

I wonder how folks would react to the visible disability of someone with a missing limb or disfigurement - most decent folks see it, try not to react and and compose themselves to spare embarrassment all round but on these boards, it seems fine to jump on someone who just does not conform to the English language writing skills.....Hey ho, Merry Christmas when it comes!
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:17 pm

Delmont St Xavier wrote:I suffer from profound dyslexia and have withdrawn from posting in two forums as a matter of principle because the 'spelling police and grammatical henchmen liked nothing more than to point to my errors (whilst loading their own rebukes of my post with often past tenses and poor spelling). Often those who rebuked me, never knew the difference between 'there, their and they're' and when it came to, 'two, too and to or it's and its - it became laughable if not ironic.

However, more than anything it was sad that a 'disability' was mocked so openly in a forum and instead of welcoming a newbie or someone who fails to grasp the basic rudiments of language due to the condition, instead many mocked or decried the posting. It happened to me and it happened to others and in some ways forums such as these remind me of churches, people want new blood, they want new posts, new threads to debate, pour over and enjoy and as soon as someone new arrives, someone different, the abuse starts.

I no longer contribute on Urban, or in Pat's West End and I rarely add anything on others and by the looks of things here with this thread, my days may well be numbered.

I wonder how folks would react to the visible disability of someone with a missing limb or disfigurement - most decent folks see it, try not to react and and compose themselves to spare embarrassment all round but on these boards, it seems fine to jump on someone who just does not conform to the English language writing skills.....Hey ho, Merry Christmas when it comes!

I agree.
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby purplepantman » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:38 pm

At the risk of repeating myself...

purplepantman wrote:
Godsgift wrote:....and people here can be just as pig ignorant as they are there.

I'm finding that quite hard to believe.
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions