Your most pointless subject at school was.....?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Your most pointless subject at school was.....?

Postby RDR » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:36 pm

moonbeam wrote:The PE teachers were ex army guys. So many press-ups. Then climbing ropes. It was brutal and quite a few tubby lads were hopeless. Then for four weeks we got a nice young lady, really pretty the guys were all in love until-she was better at football, better at press ups better at everything and then she got us to play netball against the lassies The lassies won. We thought her dad was the head prison warder at the Bar L. She did not have a moustache. For me PE was a pointless experience.

Ah but which army??? :?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:19 pm

:D :D :D :D
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:15 am

Regarding PE, my tactic in the end was simply not to bother trying and the teacher eventually gave up on me as a hopeless case. After all there were plenty of my football-mad compatriots that had a similar attitude towards academic subjects.

I am no less an active person nowadays than I was then - I eventually found an interest for physical activities again when I went to university, largely because I was doing it on my own terms this time around without the "system" ramming it down my throat with the "do it or else" culture that prevailed at school......I guess that goes for a lot of school subjects.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ilookedup » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:53 pm

RE - 20 minutes every morning. Mostly spent copying homework.

Like others here - day release ONC stow college, HNC Glasgow tech. Then Bsc Strathclyde U.
ilookedup
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:40 pm

I took to skiving off PE once I lost patience with never ending football, and machismo, and various other related stuff, and figured that heading out on the bike for a bit instead was the way to go. It took till 4th year that I figured out this was a doable thing. When the school cottoned on and wrote a letter to my auld man, bless him: he wrote an eloquent letter back which pretty much amounted to 'go fuck yourselves - he's fitter than you are and football's shite'. (He being an avid cyclist, with a similar dislke of football and a heartfelt and sincere hatred of PE teachers. I never did thank him enough.)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Doorstop » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:18 pm

What a wonderful story of an an equally wonderful Dad.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Celyn » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:49 pm

Excellent Dad! ::):
Celyn
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby CrazyBB » Fri May 17, 2019 7:15 am

The most pointless subject at school was Spanish. I just couldn't understand anything. My sis studies Spanish at school now and she is ok with it. I think that's because they have much more opportunities for internet studying nowadays. They were allowed to download istation, that's the educational app for Spanish, maths, reading and writing. All the basics are there and she has no troubles with understanding Spanish now.
CrazyBB
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Random Distractions