What Are You Currently Reading

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Kirsty » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:16 pm

I am reading "Hidden Glasgow" by Carol Foreman.
No too Bad.

My PC was gubbed so I have been away for a long time. Hello again all.

Kirsty
Kirsty
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:40 pm

Kirsty wrote:I am reading "Hidden Glasgow" by Carol Foreman.
No too Bad.

My PC was gubbed so I have been away for a long time. Hello again all.

Kirsty

..welcome back Kirsty...

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby duncan » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:46 pm

reading On Broadway, a collection of Damon Runyon short stories. Recently finished The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick, which is pretty good indeed (not very SF at all)
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:09 pm

dr_lightning wrote:"The Life and Death of Peter Sellers" which is incredibly revealing about how much of a c*nt he was.

If you have ever read Barry Norman's autobiography, you will have known that already!
Incidentally, I never realised just how ugly in an odd way Bary is until I saw all the pictures in it..............

Me??

I am reading 'Riding the Iron Rooster', by Paul Theroux.

Is about his journeys by train through China, and about his journey there by train from London.

When travelling on the Trans Siberian Express across, some of his fellow passengers were talking about him and his books without realising that he was sitting right next to them................
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:34 pm

Barry Norman! He has a book!

Aye, I just finished The Catcher In The Rye. Bloody brilliant! It's like looking at yourself!

gonna read Mario Puzo's 'Fools Die' next. His books are damn good too.
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:58 am

Almost finshed Stupid White Men by Michael Moore. And about the start Love All The People by the Brilliant late Bill Hicks
http://www.tracertong.co.uk
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lonewooolf » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:47 am

Gazzathecoigne wrote:
kn0wledge wrote:ROFL!!!1

ROFL!!!1

What's that mean kn0wledge?

It means Roll On Floor Laughing
He could have went one stage further RAOTFLMAO - Rolling Around On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off.

I'm currently reading the Kundalini Experience.
Follow The White Rabbit
Keep An Open Mind
lonewooolf
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby stuc » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:41 pm

I'm currently reading...

'The Holographic Universe' by Michael Talbot

:D
stuc
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby kirkyguy » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:34 pm

At 7.30pm fireman Fred.......then 8.00 pm Enid Blytons The mystery of the vanished prince...and then about 10.30 ish its How late it was how late by James Kelman, i read this book years ago thought it was a load of tosh and now im giving it another try and im still stuck on the old tosh thoughts..
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:45 pm

kirkyguy wrote:How late it was how late by James Kelman, i read this book years ago thought it was a load of tosh and now im giving it another try and im still stuck on the old tosh thoughts..

I bought that when i was going through a buy booker winner books and thought it was tosh, didnt make it past the first 5 pages i couldnt get into it at all
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby germistonguy » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:08 am

kirkyguy wrote:....... How late it was how late by James Kelman, i read this book years ago thought it was a load of tosh and now im giving it another try and im still stuck on the old tosh thoughts..

Once was enough for me. It wasn't entertaining/enjoyable, I don't expect it was written to entertain or be enjoyed - I felt very uncomfortable reading this - I hope others did too. A necessary book I feel.

I keep dipping in and out of Kelman's 'The Busconductor Hines' - a nice slice of working classness. This too, is necessary.

Have only recently discovered Kelman. Has anyone read any other stuff by him?

Currently 'reading' Glasgow - The Photographic Atlas. Got given a copy today and there is a feeling of chuffness about me. :D
germistonguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:24 am

I read How Late it Was, prolly a year after winning the prize as it was puchased second hand.

And.

I read it in no time at all and loved it!

The stream of consciousness style really worked well. But then I am a sucker for style, structure and concept.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby thecatsmother » Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:36 pm

kirkyguy wrote:
Currently 'reading' Glasgow - The Photographic Atlas. Got given a copy today and there is a feeling of chuffness about me. :D

Anyone know where I can get a copy of this? I asked at Book World and was told it's out of print, and they can't get more copies. Anyone?
thecatsmother
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:43 pm

thecatsmother wrote:
kirkyguy wrote:

Anyone know where I can get a copy of this? I asked at Book World and was told it's out of print, and they can't get more copies. Anyone?

have you tried the Bookworld in The St Enoch centre and across from Central Station?

Borders had copies for the full £20 a while ago

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby thecatsmother » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:25 pm

It was the woman at Byres Road shop that told me it was out of print, and she certainly didn't suggest they might have it in other branches, despite being quite helpful otherwise. Worth a try though, so thanks for the suggestion. I was in the Gordon Street one a couple of weeks ago and didn't see it, but I wasn't specifically looking for it then so it warrants another look.

One of my fave sites for picking up books at a bargain is:
http://www.psbooks.co.uk They often have books on aspects of Glasgow/Scotland. This week I got one on the photographer Annan, and Michael Moss's "The Clyde - a portrait of a river". The site isn't particularly easy to use, I find, but the paper catalogue they send out is good.
thecatsmother
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions