Cyclists in Glasgow?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Cyclists in Glasgow?

Postby MotoMad » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:13 pm

Just a heads up about a site I've come across, seems to be quite new. It's for cyclists in Glasgow.

http://citycyclingglasgow.com/index.php :idea:
crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Cyclists in Glasgow?

Postby Fat Cat » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:55 pm

Don't cycle on pavements. That'd be a start.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:22 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Don't cycle on pavements. That'd be a start.

One presumes you take up that much room you have to sit on the back bench of a bus and it has been some time since you saw the upper level.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:42 am

Dont see anything about the big groups of a**holes that clutter up the roads around Eaglesham on a Sunday morning, sometimes up to a couple of dozen lycra clad clowns that refuse to allow traffic to pass. Makes me want to drive a snowplough
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Alycidon wrote:Dont see anything about the big groups of a**holes that clutter up the roads around Eaglesham on a Sunday morning, sometimes up to a couple of dozen lycra clad clowns that refuse to allow traffic to pass. Makes me want to drive a snowplough

They are the traffic. They're road users like anybody else. Most of them however obey the speed limits and only overtake when it's safe. You as a motorist probably don't.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:53 pm

Shame most cyclists seem to be colour blind, especially when it comes to the colour red.
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:31 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Shame most cyclists seem to be colour blind, especially when it comes to the colour red.

If you're going to generalise, then so will I. Shame most car drivers behave like arseholes. (which of course they don't, but lots of folk are happy to stereotype whole groups of people, and let's face it, that makes it ok to come close to killing them).
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:33 pm

On yir bike, laddie.
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:55 pm

Nice argument.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:02 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:Don't cycle on pavements. That'd be a start.

One presumes you take up that much room you have to sit on the back bench of a bus and it has been some time since you saw the upper level.

nice
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:21 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Shame most cyclists seem to be colour blind, especially when it comes to the colour red.

Im a cyclist and a driver. I neither go through red lights or stop on the green cycle safety boxes at traffic lights.

Incase there are any drivers reading this that have difficulty understanding the purpose of the green boxes (even though there is usually a picture of a bike painted on them). The stop line for cars at traffic lights is the first solid white line. Stopping over that line and occupying the green cycle box is technically not stopping for a red light and could get you 3 points and £100 fine.

It seems a lot of drivers see cyclists ahead and get angry. You really wont be stuck behind them for long, just until its safe to pass.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:50 pm

Used to love a spin on the bike (Raleigh Randonneur which at the time cost me approx. 10 year's wages, and which I still have). Tended to avoid Glasgow itself, apart from the run to work, but had my share of close encounters in picturesque NL. Amongst other missiles sent my way from passing car windows were; a cabbage, more than one fish supper and a stream of tepid water which I sincerely hope was from a water pistol.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:02 pm

I'm a driver and cyclist and it's bloody difficult at times being both!

I know the point about the cycle lane box at traffic lights - so I sit at the 'drivers' white line, only to have some asshole overtake me and sit in that space because I didn't 'move up' but the last time it happened at Broomhill Cross it was a police car, with Strathclyde's finest (as it was at that time) sitting in the front. If these guys don't get it, what chance is there for the ignorant drivers?

Cycle lanes along Southbrae Drive are usually filled with crap, or a parked car or two but some of the busier cycle routes are chaotic.

As for cyclists and motorists - well I done a few moves in my time that were not deliberate but caused others to take action to avoid, so I'm not going to enter the 'he, she, they' debates, simply because I'm imperfect but at least I recognise that.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:05 pm

MacotheIsles wrote:Used to love a spin on the bike (Raleigh Randonneur which at the time cost me approx. 10 year's wages, and which I still have). Tended to avoid Glasgow itself, apart from the run to work, but had my share of close encounters in picturesque NL. Amongst other missiles sent my way from passing car windows were; a cabbage, more than one fish supper and a stream of tepid water which I sincerely hope was from a water pistol.

Not the first time I've been struck by a lighted fag chucked out a car window as it goes past. I very much doubt it's deliberate, just careless with no thought given to cyclist and pedestrians.
I have, on the other hand, been deliberately drenched, by car drivers who think it funny to go through puddles at high speed to soak folk. As a car driver, and given the poor condition of most of Motherwell's roads (the bottom of Shields road is a particular abomination), I do try to avoid splashing folk on the pavement as I drive.
A bit of tolerance all round would be nice......
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:38 pm

RDR wrote:
MacotheIsles wrote:Used to love a spin on the bike (Raleigh Randonneur which at the time cost me approx. 10 year's wages, and which I still have). Tended to avoid Glasgow itself, apart from the run to work, but had my share of close encounters in picturesque NL. Amongst other missiles sent my way from passing car windows were; a cabbage, more than one fish supper and a stream of tepid water which I sincerely hope was from a water pistol.

Not the first time I've been struck by a lighted fag chucked out a car window as it goes past. I very much doubt it's deliberate, just careless with no thought given to cyclist and pedestrians

Once when I asked a driver why he'd passed me ascloseasthis (of course he was in a hurry to get to the red light 5 yards ahead), he leaned out of the sun roof and threw the lit fag in my face. Polis said that unless I had a witness- now in the middle of Great Western Road who was I to turn to?
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions