Foodbanks

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Foodbanks

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:46 am

Glasgow City Council Social Work Services is trying to get a better understanding of foodbank service provision and demand across the city. By completing the following survey, you will help to inform this. This should only take you 10 minutes. Please provide responses by Friday 21st December 2012.

Foodbank services means providing food, a food parcel/box, a food voucher or other emergency food provision.

We are interested in seeking the views of:
*organisations that provide foodbank services
*organisations that may refer people to foodbank services.

Your responses to the survey will be treated in confidence, and results will be presented in a way to maintain anonymity.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/foodbanks

Edited to correct link.
Last edited by The Egg Man on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Foodbanks

Postby 8cats » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:30 am

Your link just takes us to the Survey Monkey homepage rather than the survey itself, Egg Man. The survey might be something I can complete in my line of work.
8cats
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:22 pm

I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:00 pm

Something I found out (today actually) about Trussel Trust foodbanks is, apart from them having close links with some major Tories and Tory donors, that they charge the churches in which they are ran £1500 start-up fees and a further 'discretionary payment' leading to running costs of between £10k and £18k per annum.

Interesting.

http://www.cuf.org.uk/resources-project ... /foodbanks

http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom ... s-for-poor
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Does anyone know of a non Trussel trust foodbank on the North Side of the city I can donate to?
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:38 pm

there is going to be at least one in west dunbartonshire.the independent resource centre are in dicussions with various parties regarding this.whether the trussel trust will be involved i do not know yet.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:18 pm

There's a Trussel Trust bank "in development" in Clydebank at the moment Banjo - I don't know if this is the same one you intimate .. but I'm wary of donating to it, for reasons previously given.

I'd rather donate to a completely independent bank, not funding some Tory Party donor.

Thanks for the input mind .. appreciated.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:03 pm

just spoken to someone who was at the meeting and he says it looked like they would be going down the trussel trust route.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:14 pm

I think I read somewhere that the Elim Church in Glasgow at 42 Inglefield Street, Govanhill has one.
Not sure this information is correct or of any use to you.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:11 am

the trussel trust...feeding the hand that bites, :evil:
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks Dot, I'll check the info out .. and Banjo, indeed.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:06 pm

Mmmm

I hesitate to post this but I will. I have been approached numerous times to 'host' a foodbank and each time I have declined. It's not that I am against this concept, I am against using the 'Trust' that in my view 'extorts' money from other charitable bodies. It is nothing but a lining of pockets for some and as my main role is connected to charity - I resent robbing one legitimate charitable body to line the pockets of others, I resent it actually.

Food banks are ideal but another way is to organise a 'food cooperative' where items are bought at bulk and sold on at cost, relying on volunteers and no one gets expenses - the whole thing runs at a loss but offers a service to the poorest and most vulnerable. Unfortunately, because it runs at a loss there is no consistency with the service, which is a bummer - as the 'host' organisation usually provides the accomodation, gas, electricity, etc. Those who go to Cash & Carry or Lidl and Aldi use their own cars, their own fuel, etc.

When in the past we've made attempts to get funding - guess where we are directed.....
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:03 pm

Y'see Delmont, what you have just described is a) exactly what I'm looking for and b) precisely why I can't be anything but suspicious of the Trussel Trust.

God knows I have little enough myself, but spending a tenner here or there after a bit of judicial budgeting, on dry foodstuffs (pasta, rice etc) , tins of beans, spaghetti, pasta and curry sauces etc is something that's inside my means, and I desperately want to do so.

But, after researching The Trust and their backers, funding routes etc, I am loathe to give them a brass ha'penny.

I'm wondering if it's worthwhile looking into the locating of one of these "food co-ops" in the likes of a local community centre .. that way the accommodation costs are taken care of by the centre?
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:46 am

Doorstop wrote:Does anyone know of a non Trussel trust foodbank on the North Side of the city I can donate to?

Not sure if Trussell Trust are involved or not but there is a Foodbank at Whiteinch Church - seen it advertised in my GP surgery

http://www.whiteinchchurch.org/work/cap ... /foodbank/
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nirvana316 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:20 am

We have a non-trussel trust food bank in Dennistoun, we'd appreciate any donations at all

at 12 Whitehill St, just off Duke St.

If you want more information you can email me: [email protected]
or see our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/everlastingfoodbank

I think it's crazy that the trussel trust charge so much money to food banks and defeats the purpose of them. So much waste!
nirvana316
Just settling in
Just settling in

Next

Return to Random Distractions